AERODAKS: underwear for ultra running … and bushwalking

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

AERODAKS: underwear for ultra running … and bushwalking

Postby AERODAKS » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi, my name is Raz and I am a co-founder of AERODAKS - underwear specifically made for ultra marathon running.

We primarily market to long distance runners, but bushwalking seems like a very good fit too (pardon the pun).

We would love to get more bushwalkers using our product and would like to offer 15% OFF to this forum's members (1 month only). The code is BWA15.

Unlike most 'sports' briefs/underwear, AERODAKS are comfortable even when saturated, they actually dry quickly and last. Tested under extreme conditions to perform whether you're running a 12+ hour 100km ultra-marathon, hitting the gym … or doing a long bushwalk on a hot day.

AERODAKS-mens-sports-briefs-underwear.png

Some highlights:
- Designed and tested for 12+ hour ultra-marathons. Used by elite ultra runners (1st and 2nd men in UTA 100 this year wore AERODAKS)
- Durable materials (premium Italian micro mesh - only 150GSM). Woven elastic waistband - no flimsy rubber.
- Dry very fast without being clingy. Designed specifically for sustained sweating
- Great cut and construction. No side seams, wide leg, double fronted but not underneath.
- 60 day money back guarantee (if they do not fit or you just don't like them)
- Made in Australia (all production runs inspected)
- Free shipping Australia wide

More info: www.aerodaks.com
Last edited by AERODAKS on Mon 29 Oct, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AERODAKS® · Men's Sports Briefs / Underwear
Made for running™ (… and bushwalking)
www.aerodaks.com.au
AERODAKS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: AERODAKS: underwear for ultra running … and bushwalking

Postby Turfa » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 7:01 pm

I wore Aerodaks on my recent 2 month hike on the PCT. They were fantastic. Very comfortable, with no signs of chafing despite day after sweaty day of 35 C heat in the desert. Even with 10+ hours of walking a day they were great. The were easy to wash on trail as well, as they dry so quickly. Still lots of miles left in them too.
Very happy !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 7:55 pm

If you start making them in a boxer type I'll buy a couple. I tend to chaff a little lower down the leg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 10:54 pm

Looks OK, could double up as speedos/budgie smugglers. How stretchy is the fabric?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AERODAKS » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 7:25 am

crollsurf wrote:If you start making them in a boxer type I'll buy a couple. I tend to chaff a little lower down the leg

Hi crollsurf

We did look at boxers but our material is not appropriate as it is textured on the outer layer and would result in rubbing between the legs. Boxers would require a different material in the inner thigh. Our micro mesh material is extremely good in terms of wicking and breathability but would not work well in the inner thigh when constantly rubbing on itself. We know some people prefer boxers and some prefer briefs ... we have decided to just focus on briefs. Our initial objective was comfort when sweating for long periods and boxers present extra problems to overcome, i.e. more material means more sweat retention, more heat, riding up and extra fabric between the legs. For now, we are just focusing on a very small niche: men that run/move (and bushwalk!), sweat a lot and prefer briefs ... in black :).
You can always try them - you may be a convert (but you would need something else for the inner thigh like Body Glide) ... we have a 60 day money back guarantee if you do not like them. I won't lie though - guys are usually firmly in one camp: briefs or boxers

johnw wrote:Looks OK, could double up as speedos/budgie smugglers. How stretchy is the fabric?

Hi johnw

Much stretchier than Speedos as the material is part lycra. The stretchines means they move around less than standard fabrics. Speedos was what I used to wear in Ultra marathons before AERODAKS and while they are durable, they have some issues on land. To be clear, I have nothing against Speedos, but they were designed for use in water, not for multi hour land sports. Some issues:

• they retain heat as the material is relatively dense
  • the material holds a lot more sweat meaning you stay wetter for longer
  • they are double layered underneath, holding more sweat
  • their waist band is narrower and starts to dig in a little after long periods
  • side seams
In terms of doubling them up AERODAKS as Speedos, it has been done, and because they are double front layered, you can not see through the front, but the material is a micro mesh, so if someone looks carefully from behind they will make out your cheeks … more so if your cheeks have not seen much sun ;). AERODAKS will dry faster and are also great under boardies, wetsuits, moto X outfits, etc.
www.aerodaks.com.au
AERODAKS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 9:51 am

Agree with Crollsurf that a longer leg is better for me.
I get chafing about 2/3 of the way up from the knee to the groin.
I've converted to wearing unpadded bike shorts but would prefer something that breathed better.
ChrisJHC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby AERODAKS » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 10:08 am

Turfa wrote:I wore Aerodaks on my recent 2 month hike on the PCT. They were fantastic. Very comfortable, with no signs of chafing despite day after sweaty day of 35 C heat in the desert. Even with 10+ hours of walking a day they were great. The were easy to wash on trail as well, as they dry so quickly. Still lots of miles left in them too.
Very happy !

Thank you Turfa for the great feedback. Much appreciated.

ChrisJHC wrote:Agree with Crollsurf that a longer leg is better for me.
I get chafing about 2/3 of the way up from the knee to the groin.
I've converted to wearing unpadded bike shorts but would prefer something that breathed better.

Hi ChrisJHC
I understand … and ultimately we can not be all things ot all people. For those that like a brief, I think we have the best product, but if you like a boxer leg, we probably aren't your cup of tea.
www.aerodaks.com.au
AERODAKS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby johnw » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 12:20 pm

AERODAKS wrote:
johnw wrote:Looks OK, could double up as speedos/budgie smugglers. How stretchy is the fabric?

Hi johnw

Much stretchier than Speedos as the material is part lycra. The stretchines means they move around less than standard fabrics. Speedos was what I used to wear in Ultra marathons before AERODAKS and while they are durable, they have some issues on land. To be clear, I have nothing against Speedos, but they were designed for use in water, not for multi hour land sports.

In terms of doubling them up AERODAKS as Speedos, it has been done, and because they are double front layered, you can not see through the front, but the material is a micro mesh, so if someone looks carefully from behind they will make out your cheeks … more so if your cheeks have not seen much sun ;). AERODAKS will dry faster and are also great under boardies, wetsuits, moto X outfits, etc.

Thanks, that all makes sense. Wouldn't be running ultras but I have run several marathons and aware of issues like sweat and chafing. I'm mainly thinking about them as a multipurpose item for ultralight bushwalking and travel. Just as well I have good looking cheeks :wink:.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 7:35 am

Just what I have been looking for most of my life. but as I have grown a little wider over the decades I won't squeeze into a 38inch waist any more.
What do they weigh? Weight is usually an important piece of information for the UL crowd
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby AERODAKS » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 8:11 am

Hi Moondog55

Short answer: very light

Long answer:
I am not in the office so only have total weight INCLUDING packaging (plastic outer and 2g silica gel). Total packaging would be 5-10g.
- Size 30: 59g (AERODAKS and package)
- Size 38: 75g (AERODAKS and package)
On top of this, for the truly weight obsessed, the drawstring is removable and only required for rougher activities or that extra feeling of security. They will function very well without it and use a woven elastic for the waistband, not flimsy rubber, it is the rolls royce of waistbands.
The fabric is a micro mesh and only weighs 150gsm. As it has less weight, it can not hold as much sweat and it does not have that clingy plastic feeling.

I have been to size 40+ myself, so know the hassle. Our decision re sizing is commercial as we need minimum run quantities and larger guys seem to prefer the bike style compression shorts. We have a design pattern for a size 40 but have not had a commercial run yet.
www.aerodaks.com.au
AERODAKS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 11:33 am

Is there a plan to develop undies for women? They do sound interesting for summer walking. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby AERODAKS » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 12:07 pm

Not at this stage. We looked at a women's version but it's not a straight translation. Undies seem easy to design until you start looking at all the details. We had a lot of insight as ultra runners with the men's version. It may be something we look at in the future.
www.aerodaks.com.au
AERODAKS
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts