how long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: how long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Postby Mark F » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 8:06 am

I use the Vileda All Purpose cloths (from Woolies or Coles) - yellow with some greeny? printing on one side in a diamond pattern. The printing washes out when they are laundered and they last about 5 - 10 wash cycles.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tortoise » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks, Lamont and Mark.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 11:46 am

Interesting to see such great variations in the times stated. I noticed that many of those who can make a quick exit write "about 15 minutes" or "about 20 minutes" (my emphasis). I'm thinking that there was probably not a timer running to determine these durations! Possibly a case of a guesstimate being made, based on dispositional optimism. But if I'm wrong about that, as someone who takes well over an hour before I start walking, I'd love know how it could be done more speedily. I already have a lot of things organised the night before, so not sure what else will work. Not that I always want to get out fast, but there are occasions when I have to be at a bus stop or railway station very early.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 12:28 pm

peregrinator wrote:Interesting to see such great variations in the times stated. I noticed that many of those who can make a quick exit write "about 15 minutes" or "about 20 minutes" (my emphasis). I'm thinking that there was probably not a timer running to determine these durations! Possibly a case of a guesstimate being made, based on dispositional optimism. But if I'm wrong about that, as someone who takes well over an hour before I start walking, I'd love know how it could be done more speedily. I already have a lot of things organised the night before, so not sure what else will work. Not that I always want to get out fast, but there are occasions when I have to be at a bus stop or railway station very early.

I was also intially suprised at the speedy exits as no one I walk with is that quick. (and I walk with a variety of people) However we all have breakfast, coffee, spend time drying our tents, chat about the days route etc etc

With just wake up, answer call of nature, stuff everything into the pack and walk.. I can see 20 minutes as a realistic departure time frame.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ofuros » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 5:03 pm

peregrinator wrote:Interesting to see such great variations in the times stated. I noticed that many of those who can make a quick exit write "about 15 minutes" or "about 20 minutes" (my emphasis). I'm thinking that there was probably not a timer running to determine these durations! Possibly a case of a guesstimate being made, based on dispositional optimism. But if I'm wrong about that, as someone who takes well over an hour before I start walking, I'd love know how it could be done more speedily. I already have a lot of things organised the night before, so not sure what else will work. Not that I always want to get out fast, but there are occasions when I have to be at a bus stop or railway station very early.

After getting dressed...6 pegs, 2 tree straps, a tarp & a insulated hammock doesn't take long to stuff into a pack...everything else is packed away the night before. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby trekker76 » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 5:11 pm

Good points, but some might be climate related. I personally organise and wash at night, don't carry stove or boil, eat on the trail, don't dry tent. Morning for me is dropping the tent, filling the pack and aside from a morning swim if I am at a creek, usually clocking up some miles before the temps rise.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 6:06 pm

With a tent, eating breakfast and having a hot drink, about 90 minutes. I don't like to rush, and I do like to enjoy the morning. I also start early in summer, first light or a little before, 5-6am. This means that I'm in camp by about noon-2pm, and then I can relax. One day I covered 22 kilometres and was at the destination by 8am, nice. The tent is shaken and packed wet to dry during rests if the wind and sun are suitable.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Lamont » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 8:20 pm

http://www.vileda.com/au/wettex This one.
Didn't realise it had "wettex" stamped on it.
Good viledaing.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby crollsurf » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 9:16 pm

peregrinator wrote:Interesting to see such great variations in the times stated. I noticed that many of those who can make a quick exit write "about 15 minutes" or "about 20 minutes" (my emphasis)..., I'd love know how it could be done more speedily...

I guess it depends how much stuff you have and if you are a breakfast person or not. I'm not a breakfast person so I get walking and stop when I get hungry and find a nice place to stop. Having a dilly bag for your toiletries, first-aid and nick-nacks helps keeping organised but also saves time in the morning. Also not having breakfast means your cookset is packed up and ready to go. I can get ready within 20 mins if you don't include the number of times I say to myself "I'll get up in 5 minutes"

This is pretty much my routine:
  • Unplug the mat before getting out of bed so my weight helps deflate the mat and put on my pants
  • Put the headlight in the dilly bag and power if I'm carrying it
  • Throw everything except the mat and quilt out of the tent
  • Grab my shoes and socks, get out of the tent, stand on my Zseat, put the shoes and socks on and go to the toilet.
  • Pack the quilt and put in the bottom of the pack
  • Roll the mat, unroll and fold in half length ways, roll again, pack and then put on one side of the pack
  • Grab the car keys and credit card wallet from the tent pocket and stick in my pockets along with phone.
  • Give the tent a shake if needed (don't care too much if it's wet. I can dry it when having a break)
  • Remove tent pole(s), pull the stakes and wipe with my hand, put in peg bag
  • Fold, roll and pack the tent and stick on the other side of the pack
  • Pack the cookset between the mat and tent
  • Put the dilly bag on top of the cook set
  • Fold the Zseat in half and slip down the back of the pack for padding.
  • Losely stuff my puffy jacket around the gaps between the quilt, mat, tent, cookset and dilly bag
  • Put my food on top, make sure I haven't left anything and then close the lid of my pack
  • Put on gaiters (optional)
  • Put water bottles in the side pockets.
Don't think I've missed anything. I'm ready to go.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 5:31 pm

Throw everything except the mat and quilt out of the tent
Grab my shoes and socks, get out of the tent, stand on my Zseat, put the shoes and socks on and go to the toilet.
Pack the quilt and put in the bottom of the pack
etc

I want to see you do that in the rain.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 6:00 pm

rcaffin wrote:Throw everything except the mat and quilt out of the tent
Grab my shoes and socks, get out of the tent, stand on my Zseat, put the shoes and socks on and go to the toilet.
Pack the quilt and put in the bottom of the pack
etc

I want to see you do that in the rain.

Me too. Take photos.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby carpus » Thu 08 Nov, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm with the slow people. Porridge or a backcountry bag breakfast, hot chocolate to start with then a black tea, sit around and listen to the birds, look at the wildlife tracks around the site, maybe talk to a wombat, take a few sunrise photos, hang sleeping bag out to air, pack up and stroll on. I'm not an Olympian, and not out to break any speed records just to arrive an hour earlier at the next spot. That morning hour or two is really beautiful in many campsites. And if it's hosing down, brekky in bed then chuck stuff in pack, put wet clothes on and shove wet tent in bottom compartment - 20 minutes because it's less fun.

Re the dew wiping, my favourite is a small (30 cm square) Kathmandu towel, folds down to about a matchbox size. Keep in the tent for condensation on poles, dirt on floor, then use to dry outer tent if it's not raining. The little towel has a hanging loop for a tree if not moving camp, or the back of the pack while walking. And it's so small you can pack it moist if rainy, then hang it from the inside of the tent at the next stop. A piece of old t-shirt or hankie about 8cm square sits in my peg bag for trefoil pegs like MSR or Black Diamond. Then chuck it out when home and doing final clean. Helps stop Phytophthora spread and saves me carrying dirt.
carpus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion