New inflatable pad time....

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Postby PedalRoll » Thu 30 Aug, 2018 9:12 am

Hey all,

Looking into a new inflatable to fill the void when my CCF is just not going to cut it. Next walk will be in November on Cape to Cape to non insulated will be fine.

Ive been using a Massdrop x Klymit UL Insulated for a bit. Not digging the valve.

Thermarest is out of my budget...unless a super deal comes along.

I really like the look of Sea to Summits UL mats. Insulated has close to the same weight as the mat i have now and non insulated drops some weight. The review www.bikepacking.com did of these mats really excited me.

What you all using and can recommend?

Thanks!
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: New inflatable pad time....

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 31 Aug, 2018 11:49 am

Well I love my big S2S Comfort Plus so I am saving to buy a Comfort Lite I tried an UL and I didn't find it comfortable enough for side sleeping
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby LachlanB » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 10:04 pm

I've got a Comfort Light Insulated, and as a side sleeper I've found it good. The regular one is 620g or so, which isn't too bad for the price point in my books. But I'm hardly a lightweight walker!

Only thing is, the S2S mats have been around for a while now, and I've heard/read the odd rumour about a new line. Dunno if it's likely to happen, but don't pay full price for them- a bit of patience and shopping around will usually find you at least a 25% discount.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 2:51 pm

I too have heard small rumblings about a complementary uberlite version to sell alongside the current units, not that I think the ones available now are really heavy and I have seen some complaints that the new super light ThermaRest mattresses are easy to puncture. Taking an old fashioned HD groundsheet and/or a CCF sort of takes away any UL advantages if an uberlight mat needs to be coddled.
On the pillow issue I used to have a PU proofed nylon groundsheet that had an integral pillow pocket/flap where you could shove your spare clothing, a great bit of gear and an easy DIY project; add a short flap on the end and it would keep everything together, not a bad idea if into tarp camping
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Wed 05 Sep, 2018 9:01 pm

Hehe - a few years ago we all reckoned the Exped Synmat UL 7 was the best thing since sliced bread - I recommended it to many if my acquaintances, and it turned out to be an almost universal failure.
Wouldn't even think of recommending anything again, I will only say I'm currently trying my luck with an S2S Ultralight Insulated.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby racca » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 10:22 am

Happy with my s2s ultralight insulated. Add a light ccf pad to it in extra cold conditions. Works well enough that I'm looking at one of the s2s comfort mats for shorter trips where i don't mind the weight penalty.
racca
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 11:37 am

What RonK said
I can only tell you what I am using and that I'm happy with it
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rangersac » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 11:47 am

Happy with mine!
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Muddy Mate » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 9:16 am

Hi ! New to forum, I have been using Klymit v insulated pad and love it. Valves allow inflation in 9 breaths and instant deflation for quick pack up. Bargain price through Massdrop.
Use with quilt and Go2 systems velar bevy.
Muddy Mate
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mongoose » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 11:59 pm

I have moved on from inflatables and am currently trying out a cot. I have the Therm-a-Rest Ultralight Cot in a large and it is very comfortable, not as light as a mat but no fear of failure is a big plus for me.
Mongoose
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiking Noob » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 6:38 am

Mongoose wrote:I have moved on from inflatables and am currently trying out a cot. I have the Therm-a-Rest Ultralight Cot in a large and it is very comfortable, not as light as a mat but no fear of failure is a big plus for me.

That would be for tarp use only wouldn't it? How do you stop it ruining the floor in a tent?
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 8:23 am

Or bite the bullet and move to a hammock.

But only if you want 10-12 hours of comfortable sleep in the bush!
ChrisJHC

Postby Mongoose » Wed 07 Nov, 2018 9:36 am

Hiking Noob wrote:
Mongoose wrote:I have moved on from inflatables and am currently trying out a cot. I have the Therm-a-Rest Ultralight Cot in a large and it is very comfortable, not as light as a mat but no fear of failure is a big plus for me.

That would be for tarp use only wouldn't it? How do you stop it ruining the floor in a tent?

I plan to use a tarp with it or am going to cut some small pieces of foam to put under the feet in a tent.
Mongoose
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Ultralight backpacking