Aussies blocked from Amazon.com from July 1st!

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Aussies blocked from Amazon.com from July 1st!

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 4:56 pm

aliexpress_gst.jpg
aliexpress_gst.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 19017 times

It has begun !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 9:29 am

I use a US-based shipping service that aggregates my purchases and gives me cheaper shipping than each item shipping directly.

They sent me a message on 1 Jul that they will now be collecting the 10% before sending the goods on.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 05 Jul, 2018 10:14 pm

Ok, it's a week on from the start of this new process. Has anyone found out how they are handling it for items that were not pre-charged with GST?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby michael_p » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 12:30 am

I purchased some items from Hong Kong on Ebay today. The GST has been added to the price after purchase. The advertised price was $33.46 and I was billed this plus an extra $3.35 for the GST. The extra $3.35 was listed as a related payment.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 8:17 am

I am not blocked from Amazon and I am not rerouted to the Australian site.
Items will not be shipped here so you need to use a shipping service.
Unless the shipping service extracts the GST it looks as if this is a workaround.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 9:23 am

GPSGuided wrote:Ok, it's a week on from the start of this new process. Has anyone found out how they are handling it for items that were not pre-charged with GST?

Aliexpress adds the 10% at the checkout, so it's a surprise if you're shopping based on listed prices.

I did notice one (identical) item was cheaper on ebay.com.au so possibly smaller sellers are listing there without GST ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 06 Jul, 2018 11:47 am

Yes, the major sites have adjusted apart from Amazon, their US site has just blocked sale to Australia. I’ll have to send them to my relatives for pickup later. Otherwise still curious of the minor sites and sellers and how our customs would deal with it. What happens if the item was posted by an individual? In the old days, the ‘gift’ label used to get processed leniently.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigwallclimber » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 2:48 pm

I just bought a small item at a site in the UK, nothing added on checkout so I will see what happens when it comes to me. It cost all of $40. Lets see if the parcel gets held up and I get charged GST prior to letting it be released.

To be honest when you buy an item worth $40 the labour involved in sorting, storing, processing and then requesting payment has to be more than the GST lol.
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 4:09 pm

bigwallclimber wrote:To be honest when you buy an item worth $40 the labour involved in sorting, storing, processing and then requesting payment has to be more than the GST lol.

Hence that was partly the reason why there was a $1000 threshold for import duty/GST collection in the past, totally practical. The fear now is that ATO/Customs would impose an administrative fee on all items requiring such payment, potentially adding a completely unreasonable layer of cost on small items eg. $3-4 item from Aliexpress. Early report/s suggests that low cost items from small sellers (no GST collected) are still being waved through but that may change. At the end of the day, maybe the whole arrangement was just to obstruct the big mail order houses (eg. Amazon, international eBay) and protect our domestic retailers.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 9:23 am

We have just bought a tent from REI. Free shipping from USA to Australia via DHL and nothing noted on the invoice about customs charges/GST. Delivery due on Tuesday so I'll let everybody know if there are any hiccups.
REI are refusing to do the Australian governments job for it. Now over on eBay I bought a snowshoe binding, it is coming via the eBay global shipping program and that "service" added the GST plus a 100% service charge to cover the costs of doing so
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:39 am

Moondog55 wrote:REI are refusing to do the Australian governments job for it. Now over on eBay I bought a snowshoe binding, it is coming via the eBay global shipping program and that "service" added the GST plus a 100% service charge to cover the costs of doing so

So now a total 20% price increase :shock:

Wow I thought I heard someone cheering this morning. Must have been Gerry shouting for joy!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jdeks » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 1:14 pm

I've just bought in a bunch of bike parts from a medium-sized online shop in the UK. Under $1k. Arrived this week.

No VAT, no GST at checkout, and nothing from customs. Shipped by DHL, not that I know whether this has any impact. I doubt it. The plan is clearly to outsource the collection to the logistics departments of the online goliaths, there is NO way customs can inspect every single parcel on the way in to verify GST was charged at checkout.

So basically, this is just going to push people off the big ones like eBay (of which most major sellers have their own sites anyway) who are playing ball due to their high profile, and give all the small timers a bit of an advantage. Good - eBay hasn't been good value any more for years now.

Won't help Australian brick-and-mortar shops one iota. My bike bits are still about 50% RRP even with the shipping on top.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby cams » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 11:11 am

Anyone had any further luck with this? The customs page seems really crap to me. The information is pretty vague. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi/car ... taxes/low-

Says "From 1 July 2018, goods with a customs value of AUD1000 or less (low value goods) may attract the Goods and Services Tax (GST) at the point of sale if imported from overseas by consumers in Australia."

Also this:

"Businesses with sales (subject to Australian GST) of AUD75000 or more to consumers in Australia within a 12 month period, will need to register with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), collect GST at the point of sale and remit that GST to the ATO."

Does that mean that smaller cottage manufacturers that don't go over that $75k amount don't have to charge GST? If so how on earth is that policed??? Are they actually building up a database of incoming goods and companies they're from with the values??? Seems improbable.

Anyway, I ordered a pair of snowshoes from REI a couple of weeks ago. They haven't arrived yet and got the email from REI since saying they are no longer selling to Australia.

I also want to order from Goosefeet, but am nervous about them getting through.
cams

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 6:28 pm

A lot more information from real life experiences now on the various forums.

It would appear there's been no change in custom practices here in Australia for arriving parcels. The legislation has only forced the big players (Amazon, Aliexpress, eBay etc) into collecting GST overseas or abandon Australia. For the smaller online providers (even some more major ones in the US with Australian sales easily going over $100,000 or more), the legislation have been completely ignored. Products purchased from those without GST have been getting through per past, no additional barrier. Obviously customs may random check the parcels, but that's the luck of the draw. Yes, I've just received a backpack from Massdrop and they did not add any GST (shhhh... don't anyone make a noise).
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:45 am

GPSGuided wrote:A lot more information from real life experiences now on the various forums.

It would appear there's been no change in custom practices here in Australia for arriving parcels. The legislation has only forced the big players (Amazon, Aliexpress, eBay etc) into collecting GST overseas or abandon Australia. For the smaller online providers (even some more major ones in the US with Australian sales easily going over $100,000 or more), the legislation have been completely ignored. Products purchased from those without GST have been getting through per past, no additional barrier. Obviously customs may random check the parcels, but that's the luck of the draw. Yes, I've just received a backpack from Massdrop and they did not add any GST (shhhh... don't anyone make a noise).

Ok thanks. Interesting to know. And not really all that surprising. Maybe Gerry Harvey will go and sit at customs and inspect every parcel coming through if he's not happy with the government doing the job.

I can add to this anecdotal evidence now too. My package from REI arrived yesterday (in a ridiculously oversized box).
cams

Postby johnw » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 11:33 am

Same experience here. A couple of recent orders from two smaller to mid size UK outfits received with no VAT or GST, and no mention of it anywhere. Let's hope it continues...
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 12:42 pm

johnw wrote:Same experience here. A couple of recent orders from two smaller to mid size UK outfits received with no VAT or GST, and no mention of it anywhere. Let's hope it continues...

It'll probably continue until the next large political donation by Gerry Harvey and the likes... Am I too cynical? :roll:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Singe » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:41 am

GPSGuided wrote:
johnw wrote:Same experience here. A couple of recent orders from two smaller to mid size UK outfits received with no VAT or GST, and no mention of it anywhere. Let's hope it continues...

It'll probably continue until the next large political donation by Gerry Harvey and the likes... Am I too cynical? :roll:

Nah, just cynical enough :|
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 9:45 am

Singe wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:

Nah, just cynical enough :|

Yep, I've gone off the idea of buying anything from Harvey Norman as a result of this BS. In the past they have had my custom at times.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CaptainC » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:57 pm

REI have sent me a similar email
Thank you for being a valued customer of the REI Co-op. Unfortunately, as of July 23 we will no longer be able to ship customer purchases to Australian addresses. This is a result of the recent change in Australian tax law and means that when you shop at REI.com, you will no longer be able to select Australia as a shipping destination.

Our existing systems and licenses for tax collection and payment are not set up to handle the expanded GST requirements. We will continue to evaluate the new tax laws and how we do business in Australia.

If you have further questions about this change, please contact 1-253-891-2500. We know this is an inconvenience, and we're sorry. We value your support and hope to be able to resume shipping to Australian addresses in the future.

Sincerely,

REI
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:02 pm

CaptainC wrote:REI have sent me a similar email...

Another good mail order source goes to dust. Will be stuck with personal pickups there in the US... But must have the patience to wait for Trump to get out of the WH. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bobcrusader » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 2:31 pm

Guess which is amazon.com and which is .au? The Australia tax returns, and I'm not talking about GST.
us.jpg

au.jpg
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 4:13 pm

On my recent online shopping browses, I too noticed these 'tactical' gears are way inflated in their pricing, often doubling the US price tag. Obviously your example takes the cake.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Noob » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 6:11 pm

I read yesterday that Kogan shares have dropped by a third since the new tax has come in, can't say it disappoints me.

I do have an Anaconda getting built a few km from me but going by their other branch in Newcastle most purchases will still be done online and I have to go to Macpac for the rest, I miss my local Mountain Designs.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 7:09 am

Amazon will soon allow products to be mailed to Australia again.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-22/ ... g/10520900
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 7:45 am

Looks like they will collect GST for the Australian government when Aussies shop on the USA site, as of 22nd November they reckon (not sure if that's Aussie time or US time, but either today or tomorrow).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby johnw » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 9:26 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Looks like they will collect GST for the Australian government when Aussies shop on the USA site, as of 22nd November they reckon (not sure if that's Aussie time or US time, but either today or tomorrow).

Last week I tried to order something on amazon.com which it refused, with a message to the effect that it would only supply software/electronic products (e.g Kindle books) to an Australian address.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Equipment