Question about Evernew stove simmering

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Question about Evernew stove simmering

Postby lawrence » Tue 27 Nov, 2018 10:52 pm

Has anyone managed to successfully get a decent simmer going with the Evernew stove? I've tried about 10 different homemade designs (usually revolving around an empty can) and they've all been pretty crappy due to the diameter of the can not matching up with the Evernew.

Was wondering if anyone has tried the Trangia simmer ring on the Evernew stove, and if so how well does it fit?

Alternative option was just to stash the Evernew for FBC trips and buy a Trangia 27 set (or maybe even go gas) to do real cooking with. Would be nice to have the simmer option in my UL setup though 8)
lawrence
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Question about Evernew stove simmering

Postby ofuros » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 4:13 am

I used a tatonka over the trangia simmer ring to tame the evernew flames of fury...I'll try & get a pic for you, not a great fit though.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ofuros » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 5:58 am

Before...

DSCF5216 (2) (Medium).JPG

After...

DSCF5220 (2) (Medium).JPG

Trangia simmer ring...

DSCF5230 (2) (Medium).JPG

With my stove & windscreen combo I had better control with the tatonka.
The Trangia fits better though, but in my case, with the screen, it overheated the stove fuel & produced bigger flames not the controlled simmer i was after.
Experiment...
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 28 Nov, 2018 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 6:45 am

Your not the only one trying to tame the beast and make it more versatile. 8)

ImageImage
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 8:11 am

I haven't yet tried this yet but it looks like a simple solution from the BPL forum.

After moving from my Trangia stove I missed the simmer ring. The Trangia simmer ring would not work with the Evernew stove DX kit or the Ti pot stand. This one does for both and minimal weight to add to my kit. Since it is smaller diameter than the stove it will fit down in the DX kit. I flared the bottom of the can to fit inside the outer ridge of the Evernew stove and found an opening size that allowed the same simmering I was used to with the Trangia.

IMG_4477.jpg
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby lawrence » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 9:18 am

ofuros wrote:The Trangia fits better though, but in my case, overheated the stove fuel & produced bigger flames not the controlled simmer i was after.

Looks like a good fit actually, but yeah I had the same issue with some of the DIY can projects. Burnt through fuel much faster than I was anticipating and just wasn't an ideal solution.
Great photos btw :D

ofuros wrote:Your not the only one trying to tame the beast and make it more versatile. 8)

That ring idea is interesting, could be easy to make out of some alu flashing too. I have a feeling that removing the outer rings and leaving the inner rings open will just end up in a Trangia-level flame which is still a bit much for simmering though. The Evernew really is insane in regards to power hey

simonm wrote:I haven't yet tried this yet but it looks like a simple solution from the BPL forum.

Haha this is the one that inspired me to start DIY'ing the simmer ring, because I also ran into the same problem with the cross stand (but have since built a new pot support). I tried to copy this guys design but the part I was having trouble with was flaring the bottom of the can to fit over the stove.. I tried it 3 times and every time I had flames escaping from the bottom/outside of the simmer ring and the flame didn't get much smaller :x
lawrence
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 1:05 pm

Just for fun, try adding some water ( a few drops) and see what happens.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby lawrence » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 7:04 pm

So I caved and bought a Trangia 27-8 (the HA pots and pan and UL windscreen + kettle).

Decided the headache of walking into stores with my piece of paper trying to find random steel/tin objects that lined up with my pot stand dimensions wasn't worth it and it'd just be easier to throw some money at Paddy Pallin :lol:
lawrence
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mongoose » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 11:14 pm

I stopped using my evernew because the inferno made me nervous!
Mongoose
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment