The Bothy Bag

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

The Bothy Bag

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 9:21 am

I just ordered an XL 2P bothy custom from Even at TerraRosa.
http://terrarosagear.com/bothy-shelter/

Apart from AndrewA who made his own from UL cuben fibre I wonder how many others are actually going to be carrying one. Mine will be a little wider and a little longer than the standard because I have very long legs and wide shoulders. I am having Evan add a short sit pad at each end so if I am solo I can put my rucksack at the other end to help hold it down in very windy conditions. Getting a bothy because I may have a tadpole tagging along for a week-end next ski season and I want to be absolutely prepared. Also I'll take it to the USA/Canada/Alaska with me and the standard size won't allow the puffy down clothing to fully loft. I'll also cut a couple of bits of CCF as sit pads and slip them into the back of my daypack in case I forget the inflatable
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: The Bothy Bag

Postby andrewa » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 7:03 pm

Haven’t actually used mine yet, but was hoping to use it in NZ early this year fishing in Fiordland, just to keep those pesky sandflies off at lunch. Sadly, we seem to have become more resistant to sandflies over the years, and they don’t bother us as much, and it was either sunny or pouring with rain, so there wasn’t any of that humid “about to rain”weather that brings the little buggers out in hoards. It will get used at some stage, and is really a great concept for lunching in bad weather when out in the bush/ mountains. Mine is so light it is irrelevant in my pack -should have made it a bit bigger so I could lie down under it, but who was I to know what I might be wanting to do with it?!
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 8:39 pm

Every time I need to open my pack or check a phone/map in the rain I wish I had one of these
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewa » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 8:43 pm

Or a small umbrella...
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None