Cradle Mountain/Walls of Jerusalem NP stylised Maps

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cradle Mountain/Walls of Jerusalem NP stylised Maps

Postby M J Rutherford » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi,

For those who didn't see my previous post, I drew and digitally rendered a medieval style map of Tasmania. I asked for suggestions for another map to do in Tasmania and decided on Cradle Mountain and Walls of Jerusalem. This map is more accurate than the last one as I traced over the TASMAP for rivers, lakes ETC. This one also has some major tracks marked on it and the locations of extant huts. The map has been centred the map on Mount Ossa and stretches from the West Coast range to the Central Plateau in the West and East and from Dove Lake and Lake St. Clair in the North and South.

Here it is... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xvA0GG-LsrTxkcMzgRsMRq2IAa7rM2Pf/view?usp=sharing
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Cradle Mountain/Walls of Jerusalem NP stylised Maps

Postby Tortoise » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 12:59 pm

Hey, MJ,
Love it. Great choice of area, too. I just wondered about apparent typos - maybe old spellings? Are you interested in that sort of input?
Cheers,
Tortoise
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby M J Rutherford » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 2:00 pm

Tortoise wrote:Hey, MJ,
Love it. Great choice of area, too. I just wondered about apparent typos - maybe old spellings? Are you interested in that sort of input?
Cheers,
Tortoise

Yeah it's not edited so heads up about errors would be great! Thanks
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GerryDuke » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 8:19 pm

Nice MJR
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby M J Rutherford » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 8:37 pm

Hey, some mistakes I made include mixing up Lee's Paddocks and Arm River (don't know how I did that!) Traveller Range isn't plural and neither is Great Pine Tier. Thanks to those that took the time to look for mistakes!
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby M J Rutherford » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 8:37 pm

GerryDuke wrote:Nice MJR

Thanks Gerry!
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 9:29 pm

M J Rutherford wrote:Hey, some mistakes I made include mixing up Lee's Paddocks and Arm River (don't know how I did that!) Traveller Range isn't plural and neither is Great Pine Tier. Thanks to those that took the time to look for mistakes!

Some others, in case you don't have them, are Barn Bluff (no 's'), Emmett (double 't'), Fisher Bluff (no 'Peak'), and Layatinna Hill (vs 'Leyatine') I think you mean Nereus, not Neeres. (It's well-known in Abeling circles as the least fun.) And I think the 'Dixons' is missing from Kingdom.

I love the little touches where you've drawn the shape of the mountain. I wonder if you might add Emmett's gentle double-peaked dome that's visible from many vantage points. More people might work out what it is. :)

Edits: Dean Bluff (not 'Peak'), and Sedgwick doesn't have an 'e'.
Probably a bit finicky, but I'd make Mt Olympus bigger (going further north towards Narcissus), as it's such a long, dominant mountain.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby M J Rutherford » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 10:21 pm

Tortoise wrote:
M J Rutherford wrote:Hey, some mistakes I made include mixing up Lee's Paddocks and Arm River (don't know how I did that!) Traveller Range isn't plural and neither is Great Pine Tier. Thanks to those that took the time to look for mistakes!

Some others, in case you don't have them, are Barn Bluff (no 's'), Emmett (double 't'), Fisher Bluff (no 'Peak'), and Layatinna Hill (vs 'Leyatine') I think you mean Nereus, not Neeres. (It's well-known in Abeling circles as the least fun.) And I think the 'Dixons' is missing from Kingdom.

I love the little touches where you've drawn the shape of the mountain. I wonder if you might add Emmett's gentle double-peaked dome that's visible from many vantage points. More people might work out what it is. :)

Edits: Dean Bluff (not 'Peak'), and Sedgwick doesn't have an 'e'.
Probably a bit finicky, but I'd make Mt Olympus bigger (going further north towards Narcissus), as it's such a long, dominant mountain.

Wow thanks for taking the time to look at all that!

Dixon is there but it's behind the tree's, need to fix that, with Mt Olympus I tried to draw the shape but you're right it turned out a lot smaller than I wanted, those are harder to edit though as they are drawn in and not digitally rendered. Once I've edited it a bit i'll re-upload it.
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:30 am

Great. (My oops: Sedgwick does have an 'e', but not 2 of them. :oops: )
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:43 am

Wow thanks for taking the time to look at all that!

I do enjoy a spot of editing. This was quick because I know the places so well. :)
Last edited by Tortoise on Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:44 am

One other thing (only one for now) King Davids seems to be rather oddly positioned - it sits above the Wild Dog campsite at the top end of the West Wall, west north west of Jerusalem rather than south west of it.

What you've labelled Lees Paddocks Track is actually the track past Lakes Ball and Myrtle and over the shoulder of Rogoona. Not sure of the official name (I've always called it Blizzard Plains) - I think it''s named for one of those lakes. Lees is what you've named Arm River, and Arm River is the unnamed track drawn in between Pillinger and Oakleigh. But the Moses Creek track somehow got left off too, despite the Never Never route being drawn in.

Grrrr at the hut at Malbena. Not your fault, just GGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :x

Bit odd naming only Dean Bluff on the Cathedral plateau. It''s not exactly a major peak up there. Ditto with the Amphitheatre being in but not High Dome, but one must expect peculiarities in such maps.

Did I say only one thing . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Tortoise » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 7:55 am

north-north-west wrote:Bit odd naming only Dean Bluff on the Cathedral plateau. It''s not exactly a major peak up there. Ditto with the Amphitheatre being in but not High Dome, but one must expect peculiarities in such maps.

I did think about mentioning that. Cathedral is the prize, I reckon.
I love the profile of High Dome, but the Amphitheatre is a great dramatic name to have on the map - especially in such a rugged area.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 9:18 am

north-north-west wrote:What you've labelled Lees Paddocks Track is actually the track past Lakes Ball and Myrtle and over the shoulder of Rogoona.

Yep. That one is simply the "Lake Myrtle Track". (I've just this morning included part of it on one of my maps for a 4 day remote circuit walk I'm planning for January.)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby M J Rutherford » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 3:10 pm

north-north-west wrote:One other thing (only one for now) King Davids seems to be rather oddly positioned - it sits above the Wild Dog campsite at the top end of the West Wall, west north west of Jerusalem rather than south west of it.

What you've labelled Lees Paddocks Track is actually the track past Lakes Ball and Myrtle and over the shoulder of Rogoona. Not sure of the official name (I've always called it Blizzard Plains) - I think it''s named for one of those lakes. Lees is what you've named Arm River, and Arm River is the unnamed track drawn in between Pillinger and Oakleigh. But the Moses Creek track somehow got left off too, despite the Never Never route being drawn in.

Grrrr at the hut at Malbena. Not your fault, just GGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! :x

Bit odd naming only Dean Bluff on the Cathedral plateau. It''s not exactly a major peak up there. Ditto with the Amphitheatre being in but not High Dome, but one must expect peculiarities in such maps.

Did I say only one thing . . .

Thanks!

Yeah, if I could go back i'd redraw the Walls of Jerusalem peaks, don't know how I've messed it up since I've been there many times. As a general comment, I am aware that some places of significance aren't named, a lot of this for stylistic reasons as I don't want to cram one area too many words and make it look crowded. Most of the decisions regarding choosing which peaks to name and which not too, was based on the size of the peak (as in area) not so much the height or the profoundness of it's peaks and precipices.
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby beardless » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 5:05 pm

I especially love the way you have depicted Murchison.
beardless
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby M J Rutherford » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 9:31 am

beardless wrote:I especially love the way you have depicted Murchison.

Thanks, one of my favourite mountains
M J Rutherford
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania