Bans in national parks

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Bans in national parks

Postby Xplora » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 6:35 am

Tekker76 wrote:
davidf wrote:Most out of control fires are started by people like the military or 4wders who dont give a flying of what damage they do.

hmmm...I'd agree 4wders and campers in general. The military probably makes up less than 1% the number of the other two groups in the bush. Not to mention they don't use campfires( A poor habit to devlope when enemry uses light and heat sources to target people :D )

Theyve had some spectacular planned burns and munition disposals go wrong certainly, but to say one of the major groups for bushfires would be stretching the math I think.

Since I also 4wd and car camp, I am now tagged as being irresponsible. Perhaps you would be quite surprised how many people who engage in these pursuits are fire conscious.
Moondog55 wrote:Fire bans here in Vic are on a park by park basis still where-as a blanket ban as in NSW applies to the whole state whether it is appropriate or not.

Fire bans in Vic are mostly controlled by the CFA and are district based. DELWP will enforce the bans and issue fines. Fires are also restricted in size and cannot be lit when the wind is greater than 10kph. I also have no problem telling people to put their fires out when conditions dictate. Unfortunately our area is on the border of a fire district and we are forced with bans on days where there is no real danger. I suggested a specific Alpine fire district but the authorities believe the current system works well enough. We have been in the high 30's and windy but no ban because over on the coast it is cool and the converse is also true.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby tastrax » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 9:01 am

davidf wrote:Most out of control fires are started by people like the military or 4wders who dont give a flying of what damage they do.

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/-/me ... 120690.pdf

figure6.PNG
figure6.PNG (32.93 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby trekker76 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 9:10 am

Xplora wrote:
Since I also 4wd and car camp, I am now tagged as being irresponsible. Perhaps you would be quite surprised how many people who engage in these pursuits are fire conscious.

Well you can tag yourself if you want. :) I camp and 4wd also( I need it to get to work). The context of my post was addressing comparisons between miitary numbers in the bush vs campers/4wders which have vastly more numbers.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby davidf » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 4:00 pm

Love to see the stats on wilderness damaged by the marrangaroo live fire five compared to other fires since. Property fire stats dont count in my book, insururers ie banks suffer. And i know your favourite pack or bike could of been lost but insurance should cover that.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby trekker76 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 5:12 pm

davidf wrote:Love to see the stats on wilderness damaged by the marrangaroo live fire five compared to other fires since.

Then post them. Might help your viewpoint if you were seeing stats to support what you think is occurring.
Property fire stats dont count in my book, insururers ie banks suffer.

If the property includes native flora, wildlife corridors, sanctuaries or native animals, it counts. Unless insurance companies can wave a magic wand and bring things back to life..
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 9:55 pm

davidf wrote:Love to see the stats on wilderness damaged by the marrangaroo live fire five compared to other fires since.

Start here for some information - http://www.defence.gov.au/Publications/ ... Report.pdf
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby davidf » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks. That was a great read.

Btw i,m not army bashing. There was a fire on Hassans Walls in lithgow just two days. Most likely deliberately lit. The point I am making is that blanket bans are a political *&%$#! covering exercise, not a way of stopping bush fires and inconvenience responsable people.

Also i wasnt aware the blanket ban had been lifted.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Jayps68 » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 11:53 am

Moondog55 wrote:Well if we practice leave no trace camping that wouldn't be a problem. Leave no trace where small fires are concerned is easy but may mean having to take a small shovel or some other way of making a safe hole

But surely leave no trace means disturb as little as possible, not leave no evidence. If you burn the fallen timber, but cover your tracks, thats still disturbing a potential habitat for whatever might choose to live under, on, or around that fallen timber.
It's all the same to me where i begin, for to there I shall return...
Jayps68
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion