Carry-on pack size

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Carry-on pack size

Postby gbagua » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 8:19 am

Hey guys,

Which is in your experience the maximum pack size that would comply with most airline requirements?

30-35L?

Cheers :)
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Carry-on pack size

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:14 am

Considering that qantas and virgin have last month launched a crackdown on oversize carry on. (They are measuring bags at the gate) I would be looking at the airline site and following the max size exactly.

Otherwise they will be putting your carry on in the main cargo hold (if they have time) or leaving it behind. And in the case of Jetstar charging you excess baggage

http://www.traveller.com.au/virgin-aust ... ont-h18yrr
Last edited by wildwanderer on Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:17 am

1050 mm combined; L+W+D and
International it is 1150' L+W+D
Maximum dimension no longer than 560mm
and now down to 7 kilos
On our last QANTAS O/S flight anyway. but I managed to sneak through with my big bumbag as well as my laptop bag
For flight safety reasons this is being policed hard at the moment I am informed
That's 45 litres External, weight is the important thing. My own carry-on is much less than that at 28 litres as it is an old style high school laptop bag
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:20 am

It's not just weight. If it doesn't meet the dimensions in the test cage at the gate they will reject it

Also you can't give a general guideline as all airlines have different sizes and weights.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:27 am

wildwanderer wrote:It's not just weight. If it doesn't meet the dimensions in the test cage at the gate they will reject it

Also you can't give a general guideline as all airlines have different sizes and weights.

Well it is true that some smaller aircraft have lower size and weight limits, but I just checked some other International carriers and they all use that same dimensions and weight limit. I never thought about domestic flights being different until I checked
Jet Star are B******* tho and subject to change at a moments notice it seems.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:41 am

Yeah but then look at low cost international carriers in Europe (within Europe flights), they have different guidelines as well. And qantas and virgin have different weight and dimensions for domestic.

So while generalisations can be made it can be really expensive (excess baggage charges) if you guess wrong. So that's why always check with each carrier.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 9:55 am

I have given up trying to achieve the carry-on only travel. For walking holidays there is also the issues of knives, walking poles, tent poles and pegs, stoves etc so it is usually easier just to check in all luggage other than what you actually need on the flight. On my recent trip to Europe I walked on with just a small shoulder bag with blow up pillow, book of sudoku, toothbrush and comb, spare li batteries etc, and wore my down jacket. So easy - no fighting for overhead locker space, no liquids to faff about with in security etc. I also use a non-metallic belt - webbing and plastic buckle.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby gbagua » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 10:07 am

Moondog55 wrote:1050 mm combined; L+W+D and
International it is 1150' L+W+D
Maximum dimension no longer than 560mm
and now down to 7 kilos
On our last QANTAS O/S flight anyway. but I managed to sneak through with my big bumbag as well as my laptop bag
For flight safety reasons this is being policed hard at the moment I am informed
That's 45 litres External, weight is the important thing. My own carry-on is much less than that at 28 litres as it is an old style high school laptop bag

So a less than 7Kg pack like an Osprey Stratos 34L wouldn't get through according to your data but you are stating that's 45L.

Dimensions of this pack are:

24.4H X 11.8W X 12.2D (61.9 x 29.9 x 30.9). Total = 122.7cm approx.

God I love airlines.
gbagua

Postby photohiker » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 10:39 am

Osprey Exos 34L was accepted on Qantas and Jetstar in the last week as long the weight was within 7kg.

Had to have the Exos measured for weight and dimensions by Jetstar before been able to walk onto the plane. Several passengers had their cases sent to the cargo area because they were too heavy or too large. Saw one passenger wearing most of their spare clothing before having the case measured and just made it.

The issue of this whole weight/size is rubbish. Can pay for extra size and weight!

example: https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/flights/b ... on-baggage

Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 11:00 am

Luggage is sized as external dimensions, rucksacks are sized by capacity, the harness has to be included in the dimensions.
It's one of the reasons I like my cheap school bag, minimal padding, no hipbelt etc. plus it cost me $2- at an Op-Shop. I never travel without a change of clean clothing and 2 sets of clean underwear/base layers and personal hygiene kit and a decent raincoat/ warm layer, been caught too many times by airline changes/bumped off/ luggage missing etc:
The weight and size limits are very much a safety issue but 7 kilos is a lot of stuff if you pack well and choose LW and UL clothing, although I do try and wear the Driza-Lite rather than pack it
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks fellas :)

I was more concerned about the sizing because for weight I'll only chuck in the carry-on pack: lappie, sneakers (in the plane I'll put on thongs, more comfy), fleece just in case...and an extra or two I can't thing of right now. Probably around the 2.5Kg mark.

Maybe I need a smaller pack? Which pack size would fit all that stuff and the 2 extras comfortably? Lappie is a Thinkpad X1C.

My preferred pack brand is Osprey.

Ta.
gbagua

Postby Neo » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 11:39 am

Only had carry on weighed once, leaving Perth on Emirates a few years ago.
Read the news about a crackdown then flew out and back before Christmas, no weighing of carry on via Virgin. Best to stick to it though as last minute checked baggage is pricey.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby trekker76 » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 11:49 am

My TAS hydro pack at 35-40L gets through, weight is under 7kg
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 12:05 pm

I have an older Osprey pack you can have for $20- posted then, a bit "Girlie" as it has a flower on it. Spur of the moment traveling gift for my daughter AFTER her plane had left. About 15 litres actual after the laptop is in
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbagua » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 4:13 pm

No worries man. I already got an Osprey that size. Cheers :)
gbagua

Postby rsawyer » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 6:38 pm

Have a look at the Osprey Farpoint 40L . Have used it for a number of flights (domestic & international) without issue. Probably not the lightest but up to the job.
rsawyer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment