Epic Weekend

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Epic Weekend

Postby grasshopper92 » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 3:23 pm

A while ago I was looking at a peak bagging conversation somewhere on FB, here or wherever and someone made reference to a tongue-in-cheek challenge of summiting 3 mountains in one weekend... I think it was Pindars, Legges Tor and maybe Murchison...
Can someone confirm this? ILUVSWTAS maybe? Or north-north-west?
grasshopper92
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Epic Weekend

Postby TentPeg » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 5:13 pm

I think the topic was mentioned in the original peak bag list in the Tramp back in '68. On memory prior to this there was an informal list of three or four peaks and you got double points for completing in one weekend. Driving to start points would have been hard enough!
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Epic Weekend

Postby north-north-west » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 8:55 pm

As I recall:
There was an article in a newspaper a year or two back, about a "different" weekend challenge, by way of introducing the concept of the Abels to a wider audience. The way it was written, it sounded as though climbing the three highlighted peaks on a weekend would be quite straightforward, but anyone who knew them and the roads between would be aware that it would present considerable difficulty. I don''t recall the specific peaks, although Pelion West may have been one. There was talk here about seeing if someone could or would do it. As far as I know there is a walker who has set himself to do it, once plans could be formulated and support set up for transport etc, but I don't know if that is still in progress.

Not even sure how you'd frame a search for the topic.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania