Recommended day walks or 2-3 dayers near Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Recommended day walks or 2-3 dayers near Sydney

Postby footsore » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi ,

I've just joined with the sole purpose of milking you good folks for recommended walks accessible from Sydney. Any help would be gratefully received.
In the July school holidays I'm bringing my 15yr old son over for a sporting tournament. The cunning plan is to stay on a few days afterwards and get a walk or two in, as well as a bit of touristy stuff.

We are regular, although not superfit trampers, here in NZ. Would love a walk that offers glimpses of some of your amazing wildlife as well as some cool views or surroundings. Just cruising the ol 'net has me checking out the Blue Mountains and Royal National Park.

Access by public transport would be a bonus -but we might end up renting a car for a few days.

Cheers All
footsore
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Recommended day walks or 2-3 dayers near Sydney

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 12:38 pm

Have a read of this thread which has a good discussion on overnight walks near Sydney:

http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... 36&t=26299

Obvious "classic" suggestions are Mt Solitary, Blue Gum Forest (Blue Mountains NP) and Coast Track (Royal NP) - all can be done as both day and overnight walks.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby footsore » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 12:52 pm

Brilliant Tom - many thanks
footsore
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hughmac » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 8:17 pm

The Coast Track would be a good option I reckon. Easy public transport access with some sensational scenery despite being so close to Sydney. Will be quite cold in the Blue Mountains in July for overnighters - you'll need plenty of warm kit. Just be aware you need to book camping for the Royal NP well ahead of time. Would also give it a big miss on weekends - overrun with day trippers.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby footsore » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 4:57 am

Ta Hugh,
The Coastal Track is certainly on my radar as I believe trains run to each end.
Cheers for the heads up re the need to book and the crowds in the weekends -I had thought being winter things might have been quite, but I guess being next to such a big city it will always be popular.
footsore
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hughmac » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 7:44 pm

The northern end actually involves a ferry ride from or to Cronulla station. Nice way to start or end the walk.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby footsore » Sat 05 Jan, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks Hugh,
Royal N.P. is a hot contender for our time in NSW.
I'm debating getting a car. A vehicle would certainly give us more flexibility. Ideally I'd like to do trips both in the Blue Mountains and Royal just for the contrast of settings.
Plans are bound to change and evolve over the next 6 months, but half the fun of hikes is in planning and researching them I reckon.
footsore
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jrg » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 9:58 am

footsore wrote:Thanks Hugh,
Royal N.P. is a hot contender for our time in NSW.
I'm debating getting a car. A vehicle would certainly give us more flexibility. Ideally I'd like to do trips both in the Blue Mountains and Royal just for the contrast of settings.
Plans are bound to change and evolve over the next 6 months, but half the fun of hikes is in planning and researching them I reckon.

A car might be more worthwhile for the Blue Mountains if you wanted to do a couple of walks in the Blue Mountains. While there is a train line and local buses (some walks are a few km from the station) a car will get you around the area quicker. A car is probably not necessary for the Coast Track (if you're doing the whole thing).
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT