South Brother Mountain near the town of Johns River

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Brother Mountain near the town of Johns River

Postby paul8 » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:29 am

Does anyone know a route to climb to the peak of South Brother Mountain near the town of Johns River?
I had a look at the map. This mountain seems to be surrounded on all sides by private properties. Hence would like to know a public accessible route to get past the private properties.
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: South Brother Mountain near the town of Johns River

Postby Kagey » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 4:30 pm

As far as I can tell its all private property. It isn't National Parks or State forest so its either Crown Land or private?
Kagey
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby WildElly » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 12:30 am

I would really like some more information on this too, I drove past it yesterday and it looks like a fantastic mountain to climb. I would appreciate any information.
WildElly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Grabeach » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 7:04 pm

I'd looked at doing this when holidaying up there 20 odd years ago. Never got around to it, but this was the plan (updated for the bypass):-
If heading north on the freeway, take the Johns River turn-off. From the roundabout, driving 2.1 km on Stewarts River Rd will put you adjacent to Lot 173 at a point where the land appears to be virgin bush. This conveniently leads onto the north-south spur that runs to the top of South Brother. Still looks feasible.

Note that there is what appears to be a U shaped lower peak 300m SSE and some interesting looking rocks 1.5 km E. The latter could probably be approached from the NE (Lot 299) without crossing open ground.

I'll leave it to you whether you wish to ask for permission from the land owners.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 8:31 pm

I fancy this little mount every time I drive past! Looksike a great wild climb. Cool to see some interest here.

I don't have a topo but recall checking out North Brother, the BNT passes through there but brief exploration from the carpark suggests it would be nicely overgrown so an off track experience :)

Coorabahk NP just inland from Johns River is worth a look too. Have only driven the circuit through thus far. Nice little horseshoe falls, stripped state forest, views west of very old volcanic plugs amongst farmland, the Comboyne plateau and you can scramble up Big Nellie!

Think there is a free campsite on the southern way in, country showground type of place.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayfarer » Sat 05 Jan, 2019 8:59 am

It is accessed via private property. The farm owner is a geocacher and there is a series of caches which lead up to the summit. For permission to do this you must meet geocaching prerequisites. Not a beginner geocaching challenge. There is not usually a visible track or pad, only 4 GPS cache points enroute.

South Brother is the Birpai dreamtime burial place of one of the brothers killed by the witch Widjirriejuggi. Each of the Three Brothers is where each brother was buried.
wayfarer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby jackattack » Tue 15 Jan, 2019 5:27 am

There is a tiny holiday resort in the shadow of the mountain, Falls Forest Retreat.Self-contained cottages, a saltwater pool and a couple of walking tracks, one to a waterfall on their property, another that leads out of the property up the creek to some cascades, though I did not make it to the cascades. Its a beautiful little place to stay and as long as you don't want a super long technical walk, the walk to the creek that leads up to the cascades is easy but I didn't have enough time to go find them. The place is alive, saw my first funnel web in the wild and there was green tree frogs a plenty. Accomdonation was nice, well presented not 5 star but neither is the prices.

This place would be a great spot to stay with a non-hiking partner to explore the mountain, the cascaded and the area in general.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FallsForest ... e_internal
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT