Little Fisher Track to Long Tarns

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Little Fisher Track to Long Tarns

Postby Crawfinator » Tue 08 Jan, 2019 3:28 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any updated info on this track, i noticed that work had recently been completed there - i am keen to do Turrana Bluff and Mersey Crag and looking to see if anyone can help:

1. I assume the road is now fixed and car access is available right to the pedestrian bridge over the little fisher river?
2. Would it be possible to bring a bike to ride the first 4-5 kms up river?
3. For a fit and healthy walker, any time suggestions for the walk from the bridge to the saddle between Turanna Bluff and Mersey Crag?

Thanks!
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Little Fisher Track to Long Tarns

Postby JoeyJibJabber » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 11:55 am

Been thinking of doing this walk also. Where did you hear little Fisher road has been cleared?
JoeyJibJabber
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 3:51 pm

You need to be clear about which bridge over the Little Fisher River you mean. There used to be at least two vehicular bridges over that river. The second/upper bridge was changed to a pedestrian bridge many years ago (before I ever walked that track).

The first/lower bridge was still a vehicular bridge for a long time afterwards (but was kind-of scary to drive over for the last few years!), but has since been condemned and is no longer accessible by car, making the entire walk considerably longer than it used to be (perhaps an hour longer at the start and again at the end?).

Is this lower (recently-closed) bridge the one you meant?

Having said all that, the track was basically an old gravel road for the first few KM even after the second of these bridges. I reckon a bicycle would be fine most of the way to Rinadeena falls, up the point where it starts getting a bit steeper and rougher. Up to maybe 1km from Rinadeena falls. Of course you'd have to be prepared to get off and go under/over fallen trees every so often. And how often would depend on how recently the track had been cleared. But those first few km were quite flat, and not at all steep.

Judging from timestamps on photos, I think it was about 4 hours from the old start of the track (just before the second/upper bridge) to Long Tarns. I reckon that it would be about 5 hours from the first/lower bridge to the Long Tarns.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 09 Jan, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby johnrs » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 4:06 pm

And SOB
I know this region has been an inspiration for you over the years.
Any idea how long to the top,
for a young ones or a middle aged ones??
Thanks
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 4:08 pm

Sorry, I just edited/updated my post with times, just about the same time you posted. :-) I reckon it would be about 5 hours including the longer stretch from the more recently closed lower bridge.

PS. Those times were for walking with some people who were of moderate fitness. Not super fit, but not terribly unfit. It included a good long stop at Rinadeena Falls for lunch.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 5:40 pm

Not sure if you've been there more recently, SoB - or if someone else has in fact been there with a chainsaw. Last time I was there was maybe a year ago, and there were so many fallen trees on the 4 kms or so of road that now has to be walked, I commented that it'd be very tedious indeed on a bike. Others had talked about doing that.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Crawfinator » Thu 10 Jan, 2019 11:20 am

Feel like i am going crazy? i read on parks website on Monday that works had recently been completed on the pedestrian bridges at little fisher river track. The summary even comes up in google, but when i click on link, there is no info.

All i can find, is that a tender was awarded to a business to build three new pedestrian bridges on the track to be completed in November 18.
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Crawfinator » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 1:47 pm

To confirm - i have now been sent photos of the new and completed bridges in place - look great - if anyone knows of status of bikability due to windfall would still appreciate the info.
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 14 Jan, 2019 3:30 pm

Tortoise wrote:Not sure if you've been there more recently, SoB - or if someone else has in fact been there with a chainsaw. Last time I was there was maybe a year ago, and there were so many fallen trees on the 4 kms or so of road that now has to be walked, I commented that it'd be very tedious indeed on a bike. Others had talked about doing that.

No, I haven't been there since the lower bridge was closed, and we drove that section by car last time I was there. Thanks for the update. Sounds like biking may not be such a good options unless it was known to have been cleared recently. Even if it does get cleared, there's a good chance that larger tree trunks would be cut with steps, rather than cleared completely, I suppose.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hot073 » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 7:06 pm

I walked to Rinadeena Falls a few weeks ago!carpark is now 1.5 km back from first log bridge where there are boulders across the road.a lot of track work has been done recently and track is open and clear.there are a total of 3 new foot bridges!from carpark to Rinadeena Falls return is now 18km and took me 5 hours.it would be possible to do the first few km on a bike.
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 6:41 am

Grouse. Must move this one up the list. I need somewhere to walk now the SW is burning down. :(
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Tasmania