Bastion Cascades Access

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Bastion Cascades Access

Postby bluetongue » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 1:54 pm

I can’t be holding my mouth right but can anyone confirm whether as of January 2019 the 2 bridges - Mother Cummings Rivulet and Meander River are now operational. Access to quarry car park on Stone Hut track would be handy in that it frees up a bit of road walking for some of the more interesting mooching around stuff.
Many thanks
bluetongue
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Bastion Cascades Access

Postby MrWalker » Wed 09 Jan, 2019 3:50 pm

bluetongue wrote:I can’t be holding my mouth right but can anyone confirm whether as of January 2019 the 2 bridges - Mother Cummings Rivulet and Meander River are now operational. Access to quarry car park on Stone Hut track would be handy in that it frees up a bit of road walking for some of the more interesting mooching around stuff.
Many thanks

Yes you can drive to the quarry to park.
If you want to avoid excessive walking on 4WD tracks, then you can drive another 400m up the hill, but don't go beyond the first big puddle.

However, our group found the track in poor condition (31 December 2018), with quite a few trees fallen, and sometimes it was hard to get over them, or get round them without losing the track.
We were trying to go up to Stone Hut, but gave up about 1/3 the way up. However, our group of four included 2 over 70, and 2 with bad knees, so a fit group would be OK.
So we went along the Bastion Cascades track to the second creek crossing and found fallen trees there, but generally smaller, so less of a problem.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Bastion Cascades Access

Postby billshep2 » Fri 20 Sep, 2019 6:49 pm

I went to Crowdens Croft via the Stone Hut track today. The lower Stone Hut track is in very poor order with big windfalls. I tidied up a bit and marked the bypasses. Forestry - now Sustainable Timbers - used to do a good job at Meander, Parks have it now and lack resources to cope with all the reserves they have inherited.
The road up past the quarry is in good order. Stop at first wet bit lest you get bogged. Upper Stone hut and Croft tracks are easy enough to follow.
Please note that the Stone Hut and Croft tracks shown on Quamby Bluff tasmap are no longer accurate according to my gps tracking. Probably due to re routing after previous storm damage?

25 September
Today I did more tidying of storm damage on the lower Stone Hut track and the lower track to Bastion Cascades. This track is also in poor order. The worst windfalls are near the beginning and can be detoured on the left or eastern side. I hope to walk the whole circuit before too long. It would have been a lovely walk when it was cared for, and some sections are still a delight.
The roads in the Meander Forest area are being graded and sections are temporarily very soft and guttered. They were working on the closed Smoko Creek road today hopefully fixing the log bridge.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes