Powdered Egg Recipes

Food topics, including recipes.

Powdered Egg Recipes

Postby flingebunt » Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:54 am

I recently discovered that my supermarket (Coles) sells powdered eggs. This much maligned food is a great source of easily digestible protein, but they really taste terrible.

But I have been experimenting. Here are some things I have tried along with some I might try. Also interested in some suggestions.

Scrambled eggs. Tastes edible.

Scrambled eggs with milk. Mildly more edible.

Fritatas. Made with a combination of powdered egg, self-raising flour (white or wholemeal) and powdered milk. The self-raising flour gives the eggs loft and gives them a big of a bread flavour. I would suggest a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio of egg to flour. More than that you are just making pancakes. Add in pepper and pre-fried onions and garlic powder for a nice flavour. Tastes good when eaten with tomato sauce.

Pancakes is the obvious choice. It is still better and easier to buy pancake mix from the supermarket, but if you want your own flavour then this is good. Eg, you can't buy wholemeal flour, oats, cinnamon, brown sugar and dried apple and raisin pancake mix in the shop. You know, use the powdered egg and milk to make your own style of pancakes.

Egg fried rice is a good option. Powdered eggs works well for this style of cooking eggs. You put beaten or powdered eggs in a pan and spread it thin over the base of the pan, then break it up into little pieces and reserve to a plate. Then add the rice and fry that, returning the egg to the mix. This is something that can be made easily with pre-cooked packet rice, either plan or a fried type. You can also just through the bits of egg into cooked rice and mix for egg rice (no frying of the rice). The problem with this is that you need to a frying pan and need to usually clean it after cooking.

Another one from both Japanese and Italian cooking is to have hot steaming rice, say you have some freeze dried rice you just dehydrated with boiling water. Now mix the powdered eggs with water and add to the rice and stir. The heat of the rice will cook the eggs and coat the rice. For the Japanese style add some nori mix to it.

Another thing from Asian cooking is egg drop soup. I tried it with instant noodle soup. My little hiking pot is a bit small for this, but with a larger pot, you cook the noodles in water and then drop in beaten egg (or the mixed powdered egg). I want to try it with tomato soup to make Northern Chinese style egg and tomato soup. Actually I might try it with miso soup when I get the chance.

Oh, one last one is potato cakes. I did this with fish cakes but you can use it for other potato cakes as well. I don't think you need powdered eggs at all in the mix to make potato cakes work, but they obviously add protein, make it bind together a little better and I think it helps give the potato cakes a golden brown colour. Basically instant mash potato and powdered egg (not sure of the ratios to do this perfectly) and a can or satchel of tuna (mayonnaise tuna has a neutral flavour and makes the potatoes creamier. Mix together and spoon into your frying pan. Cook until golden brown

Yes, powdered eggs are never going to compete with farm fresh eggs scrambled in truffle oil and served on lightly toasted sourdough bread and salmon, but they are such a great source of protein that can be added to other foods easily.

Love to hear other people's ideas for using powdered eggs.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Powdered Egg Recipes

Postby gelabrahams » Fri 31 May, 2019 10:46 am

I've made a nice carbonara using powdered eggs:

for 2 serves:
200g Spaghettini
2 eggs worth of powdered eggs
pre-grated parmesan cheese
black pepper
salt
olive oil
3 cloves of garlic (I like mine garlicky)
speck or some type of cured meat

The trick is to fry up the garlic and speck, then add to the pot with the cooked pasta and the powdered eggs and cheese, making sure to leave a bit of the cooking water in the pot so it doesn't go too sticky or gluey.

Delish
Last edited by gelabrahams on Mon 03 Jun, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gelabrahams
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Powdered Egg Recipes

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 31 May, 2019 7:33 pm

I am going to give making my own powdered eggs a crack (see what I did there :lol: ) next week. Thanks for the recipes. I was thinking a salami scrambled eggs creation might taste delish this winter.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bush Tucker