Feathertop via Bungalow or Razorback?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feathertop via Bungalow or Razorback?

Postby craigcom » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi all.
New here and am in need of some advice please. My family and I are looking at conquering Mt Feathertop this summer. We have completed a hike down at the Prom (Sealers Cove) and that was a challenge for the wife and one child. Mind you it was 35 degrees! I am trying to decide how best to get up and down to Fed Hut without causing too much stress. We will be camping overnight and returning the same way the next day. Which is easier on the knees? Also which is the most enjoyable route?
I would appreciate any advice please.
Thanks
craigcom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Feathertop via Bungalow or Razorback?

Postby north-north-west » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 2:58 pm

Bungalow is shorter but all uphill. Razorback is a far more enjoyable walk. Can you organise transport to do a loop? Get the best of both worlds that way.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby craigcom » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't think I could organise transport. Sounds like Razorback will be the best option for the knees then. Many thanks again for the advice.
craigcom
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 3:19 pm

There's a bus from Harrietville at 1.45pm reaching Diamantina Hut at about 2.20pm. The bus usually stops on demand.
https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/timetables/line/4459/
This is a bit late and it may be hot. However, with daylight until late you should be able to reach Federation by about 7pm at the latest. You should get water from the Tom Kneen Track creek before dropping to the hut; the tank may be dry. Or you could camp a short way down the Diamantina Spur, a nice campsite. Water is needed for this, again from Tom Kneen.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 1:38 pm

I like the Northern Razorback route the best . You will need a 4 x 4 vehicle and a chainsaw. It is an easy day trip on foot from Stoney tops campsite. BYO water for the campsite. You will need clear weather because you will be going over the Northern Peak and true summit on an exposed and sometimes slightly unclear open route.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria