Tali Karng - any good guide books?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tali Karng - any good guide books?

Postby Mr Bean » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 12:11 pm

Just pondering a 3 day walk in the Tali Karng region. Its been 25 years since I last did it (up the Wellington River). Any good references? The only one I have (from 25 years ago) is the Wonnangatta Moroka by John Siseman (second edition 1988). But I suspect a few things have changed since then.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Tali Karng - any good guide books?

Postby Xastorm » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 6:08 pm

There’s a few good and accurate write-ups online (Hiking Fisco is my favourite). I went a few weeks ago via McFarlanes Saddle.
That said, I saw this in Paddy Palin Ringwood today..
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 7:48 pm

IMHO this forum would have to rate as one of the most up-to-date resources for TK area, and most majority if aread purely in terms of recent walking activity information. Given our natural areas are continuously afflicted by flood, fire, regrowth, permanent track closures, realignments and varying degrees of maintenance work, recent eyes-on intel from forum members is gold. Do a search here, ask a question or failing that, explore and report back.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 9:53 pm

The best way into LTK is : MacFarlane's Saddle, Wellington Plains, camp at ' Nyimba'( rain tank & pit loo). Visit the Lake and water fall as a day trip via Rigall's spur track and Echo Point Track. Avoid Gillio's Track. It is too effing steep.
The walk out the same way. Wellington river is a slog , it is stinking hot in summer and early Autumn and has little in the way of scenery. There are a couple of nice campsites and places to swim but I don't need to do that route again in a long time.
Side trips in the Wellington Plains area include Moroka Gap, Mt. Wellington, Miller's hut and the Sentinels. This is worth an extra day for sure. There is reliable water at the stream in the dip between Miller's hut and Nyimba campsite. I have walked the Wellington plains in heavy fog , in driving rain and in clear sunshine. You'll need a map and compass if you do not know the terrain. You need to carry a map and compass anyway. The road out there can become iffy for 2 WD if it rains heavily or snows a lot.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Mr Bean » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. I did pick up one of the SV maps yesterday, which I prefer. And yes Heremeahappy1, this is one of my favourite sites for info.

But, this is what puzzled me. Looking at the map, and the Parks Vic notes, it appears that camping is no longer an option at the lake? When I last did the walk (probably late 1980's) we camped at the lake (eastern side I think).

PCV, yes, the Wellington was a slog back in the late 80's :) From memory, I think we did the Wellington, then back via Echo Point (Riggall Spur). I was with a group and just followed. But if camping is out at the lake, it makes that route up to the nearest camp at Nyimba a long day.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 10:00 am

Camping at The Lake is banned by PV and the Local Aborigines don't like people camping there either.

You can also camp at a camp site on the Wellington River just near where it joins the Riggall's spur track .
That makes a simple day trip from the Wellington River to LTK more feasible but in the hot weather the campsite at Nyimba camp site is much nicer and camp fires , esp. in Autumn are permitted there. A walk up to Spion Kopje from Nyimba is worthwhile too. Not the Spion Kopje opposite Falls Creek , the Wellington Plains one.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mr Bean » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 11:20 am

Ok, thanks for the info PCV. The option to stop at the camp on the Wellington, then do a day walk the next day would probably suit us well. Its a three day walk we are thinking and that would work fine with our timelines. Thanks for the ideas.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 2:58 pm

It’s a very gentle 3-day Walk from McFarlane Saddle so perfect for someone new to multi-day hikes.

Don’t forget your hiking poles for the track down to (and to a lesser extent up from) the lake.
I tend to go down Gillios Track and up Echo Point / Riggall Spur tracks.

Allow a couple of hours for a slow circumnavigation of the lake.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stuie88 » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 4:14 pm

My favourite route is from mcfarlanes saddle down riggals spur, track down echo point to the lake for a long visit and then out echo point and riggals to the wellington river campsite. Second day out along the wellington river to the bridge, and depending on the weather have a beer and a swim or a cuppa and a stretch. (As per the photo)

You need a lift to the top or two cars in the group to do it that way but thats my pick.

Gillios track is nice and the view as you come down to the lake is nice through the trees but when i last did it it was a lot of under and over logs and pretty steep. Riggals spur is easier walking.

Valley of destruction was nice scenery but it was fairly steep and rocky. Made for hard work after gillios track in the same day and we had to find the track a few times through there.

Campsite at the wellington river is nice and sheltered too.

We used the track notes which im pretty sure were on the map that was linked further up, they were accurate for elevation profile, times were close too.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
stuie88
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ken333 » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 4:12 pm

150 Walks in Victoria by Tyrone Thomas and Andrew Close describes a 3 day walk to Tali Karng from McFarlanes Saddle. He camps 2 nights about 100m from Nigothoruk Ck about 600 m north of Millers Hut, and walks to Tali Karng as a daywalk, in a loop down Gillios track and back via Riggalls Spur. The walk was reviewed in 2005.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 5:53 pm

Glenn Van der Thingy has an entry about Lake TK in his book "Bushwalks in the Victorian Alps".
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria