Small inverter generators?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Small inverter generators?

Postby trekker76 » Wed 16 Jan, 2019 7:05 pm

Any mechanically minded folk here or happy customers of a small generator? I have to replace an old siezed up unknown brand and looking to get something small, under 2kva in an inverter. Was trying to avoid honda prices, I usually only drag these out once a year to check them pre cyclone season. Only needs to run a fridge and couple of lights. Thanks for any suggestions!
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Small inverter generators?

Postby ribuck » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 6:31 am

The Hondas cost twice as much as other brands, but I've only had good experiences with them.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Warin » Thu 17 Jan, 2019 7:05 am

2 strokes tend to gum up the carby. Trick is to rum them dry so no fuel remains. That said I'd rather have a 4 stroke. The cheap Aldi ones have a good reputation, but are only avalible once a year.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ricrunner » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 9:32 am

I bought an Hyundai Inverter generator 1 kva for $599 a couple of years ago, from a company in WA. Google the generator and you will find them. It runs my 3 way fridge, led lights, fans and charges the batteries seperatey I recently used it to power our5 star chest freezer and 6 star fridge together for 24 hours at home after we lost power and is a 4stroke unit. I highly recommend it. I think they are $799 now, I bought it as an introductory price. Good 2 year warranty. It uses premium fuel.
ricrunner
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 3:22 pm

In my experience the local mower/generator/chainsaw stores will not touch those cheap Chinese made generators to repair or service. Maybe I was just unlucky but I've owned 2 Scorpion generators and a GMC (all ~900W) and even when looked after they didn't last long before either a/. dying or b/. just stopped generating any actual power - even with little use. Very disapointing. I've now got a Honda EU10i (1000W) and am VERY happy with it :) Significantly quieter and lighter than the Chinese made ones too. I think my EU10i is only 48dBa\13.7kg (when operating on Eco-Mode) compared to ~61dBa\21kg

As they say 'quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten'.
Last edited by Stew63 on Sun 27 Jan, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks all. I am leaning toward a honda I think.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 5:59 pm

Trekker76 also look at the Yamaha EF1000iS - very similar to the Honda EU10i in specs and slightly cheaper.
Yes - the Honda and Yamaha are a lot of $ - but me personally I'm tired of buying cheap stuff only to have it repeatedly fail on me (with little use) and no one willing to service/repair. Over a few years I reckon I spent a total of about $750 on those 3xcheap generators that quickly proved to be just junk in the end :(

Minor advantages of YamahaEF1000iS over Honda EU10i: Slightly bigger fuel tank, slightly lighter (~12.7kg vs. 13.2kg), slightly quieter, longer running on EcoMode. I wish these small generators would have a fuel tank indicator though - none have.
Last edited by Stew63 on Sun 27 Jan, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 6:30 pm

Cheers Stew63, quieter would be a plus, I will take a look at yamaha as well.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 8:40 pm

The latest generation Ryobi (small) generators overseas have BlueTooth connectivity to monitor and semi-control the generator remotely.
The Ryobi 'GenControl' monitors fuel remaining, load/output, running time, all on your Smartphone. Can be shutdown or reset on the Smartphone too.
Has USB power slots and LCD display but no 12V output. I haven't seen any BlueTooth generators in Australia yet though.

Surely Honda and Yamaha must have something similar (BlueTooth) in the pipeline - the EU10i model/technology is quite a few years old now.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 9:23 pm

I dont have a smartphone myself but its interesting to know where generator tech is going.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 4:40 pm

Tekker76 - just one other thing. If you decide to look at the $Hondas$ generators - be aware that there are a few dodgy online Australian based sellers trying to cash-in by marketing their lookalike Hondas as 'genuine' when they are not.
These generators are not the 'real thing', do not comply with Australian standards, have dodgy serial numbers that are easily identifiable by the service centres. The Genuine Honda Australian Warranty (4yrs) is not
valid and service outlets won't touch them. Unfortunately quite a few people have been burnt. There is now even a large 'Buyer Beware' on the official Australian Honda generator catalogue warning about such unscrupulous sellers/importers
and their generators.

This may or may not apply to Yamahas has well - I don't know. Have a look at generator forums regarding the above.

If your'e patient and do your research you can get some good deals on 2nd hand Honda generators.
Last edited by Stew63 on Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Redtail » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 5:24 pm

Just an idea ...

Instead of re-investing in a generator, why not put that cash into a quality solar setup?
No moving parts, negligible maintenance, and silent.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 6:11 pm

Redtail wrote:Just an idea ...

Instead of re-investing in a generator, why not put that cash into a quality solar setup?

I think Tekker wants if for sudden emergency use/backup during cyclone season. Good thought though.

I must say I was a little p1ssed off when recently camping at Geehi an older couple some distance away ran their generator non-stop for 18hr/day - sound travels in the serenity!
It obviously wasn't a whisper-quiet Honda. Unless running some important medical equipment I honestly can't understand why you'd need a generator here.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Redtail » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 8:19 pm

Stew63 wrote:
Redtail wrote:Just an idea ...

I think Tekker wants if for sudden emergency use/backup during cyclone season. Good thought though.

I must say I was a little p1ssed off when recently camping at Geehi an older couple some distance away ran their generator non-stop for 18hr/day - sound travels in the serenity!
It obviously wasn't a whisper-quiet Honda. Unless running some important medical equipment I honestly can't understand why you'd need a generator here.

Good point. I missed that reference in the OP.

Thankfully, I'm experiencing less and less genny noise when car camping these days, largely due to cheap and reliable solar setups.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Return to Equipment