Oats bar for breakfast?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Oats bar for breakfast?

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 2:29 pm

flingebunt wrote:We lose a lot of water while we sleep, so when we wake up in the morning it is good to hydrate. This is where the tea and coffee can come in.

Not to nitpick, but you do know this doesn’t make sense, right? Both tea and coffee have diuretic action through their caffeine, so if one needs to hydrate, they are not the correct choice. Of course, we drink tea and coffee for other reasons.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 5:05 pm

I'm a bit of a coffee and biscuit person at home. Bickies being not much different to most muesli bars.

Aldi organic museli clusters were a go to for a while.

Think I've found a thickish based anodised 20cm frypan that won't be extremely heavy when most of the handle gets cut off! Going to try the fried option when the weather cools off.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 30 Jan, 2019 7:16 pm

Okay - this is not an Oats bar but...

From a health perspective - I find Sunsol 10+ Natural Muesli (almonds, cashews, macadamias and walnuts) from Woolies the best around and it's inexpensive too.
The lowest I could find in both sodium and sugar, lots of fibre but big on taste. Sodium 21mg/100 Sugar 2gm/100 428Cals/100.
I just put the daily serving in a zip-lock bag with the appropriate amount of milk powder added to be served up later. Love it!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby flingebunt » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 12:50 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Not to nitpick, but you do know this doesn’t make sense, right? Both tea and coffee have diuretic action through their caffeine, so if one needs to hydrate, they are not the correct choice. Of course, we drink tea and coffee for other reasons.

To nitpick you back, tea and coffee is only mildly diuretic, with tea being better than coffee because of the lower caffeine, with neither having so much caffeine in it that they will dehydrate you. Basically while the same amount of tea or coffee is not going to hydrate you in the long-term as much as the same amount of water because you will pass more of the water because of the caffeine, the net result is still hydration.

If you have too much caffeine it can cause an intense diuretic effect and dehydration.

I would recommend a nice watery low caffeine Chinese or Japanese green tea in the morning.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby flingebunt » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 1:29 pm

I had a go at making my own oat bars. These are just made from what I had at home at the time, but the basic recipe is

1 Cup of rolled oats
1 Cup of flour (plain with baking soda added or self-raising, it doesn't matter)
1 Egg
At least a 1/4 cup sugar or honey (this enhances the flavour and acts as a preservative
I think it was about 1/2 of melted butter or margarine
Pinch of salt.

I replaced some of the butter with peanut butter and added sultanas and shredded coconut.

It was a little dry but very filling. I might try adding oats instead of sultanas, honey instead of sugar and maybe fortifying it with almond meal or some other mix like LSA. I think for the hiking version I would also increase the salt

Oat Bars IMAG1728.jpg
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 2:30 pm

Why remove the sultanas?
Maybe try some other fruits - dried apricots? Even 'dried' fruits have some moisture.

Some olive oil might give a moisture boost too???
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Thu 31 Jan, 2019 7:59 pm

Warin wrote:Why remove the sultanas?
Maybe try some other fruits - dried apricots? Even 'dried' fruits have some moisture.

Some olive oil might give a moisture boost too???

Apricots sound nice. Could turn it into more of a dried fruit bar with lots of different fruit.

I think I need to work on an oat bar recipe without eggs so that they will last longer. Of the ingredients, the eggs are the main one that will spoil and theoretically without a wet ingredient, just flour, oats, dried fruit and oil, it will last longer. I might try the vinegar and baking soda substitute trick for vegan cooking.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Fri 01 Feb, 2019 2:25 pm

Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Sat 02 Feb, 2019 5:42 pm

Warin, looks good, but the liquid used is milk or water, which will spoil.

I am working on the theory that if I make someone with no ingredients that spoil and no water, it should last a long time.

To be honest I am going to experiment and then probably just take shop bought oat bars that I know will keep on the trail. But will post with my experiments.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Sat 02 Feb, 2019 5:51 pm

flingebunt wrote:I am working on the theory that if I make someone with no ingredients that spoil and no water, it should last a long time.

The biscuits they used on the old sailing ships lasted a long time .. but you need a hammer to break them up.

Arr there you go Hardtack - made with water .. but the water is probably cooked off.
http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/ ... cuits.html

There you go. Think the same can be done with the oat biscuits .. but they will be hard, no moisture. Possibly they could be rehydrated on the trail?
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Sat 02 Feb, 2019 6:08 pm

Warin wrote:The biscuits they used on the old sailing ships lasted a long time .. but you need a hammer to break them up.

Arr there you go Hardtack - made with water .. but the water is probably cooked off.
http://cookit.e2bn.org/historycookbook/ ... cuits.html

There you go. Think the same can be done with the oat biscuits .. but they will be hard, no moisture. Possibly they could be rehydrated on the trail?

You experiment and get back to me. If I get time, I will try oil, bicarb. soda and vinegar, peanut butter and plenty of dry fruit and will report both success or, more likely, failure.

With any luck I can store these for a week without any problem.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Sun 03 Feb, 2019 9:42 am

Hardtack would go for a year of more. But I'm not experimenting with them.

As the biscuits are baked that will tend to kill off the bugs. For a week I think they will be fine.

Along with moisture there needs to be air. Vacum pack them and they will go longer and it will keep the moisture in.

PS, my latest dried apple turn out fairly tasty. No spices, bit of lemon, 6 mm thick and wide before cooking in the microwave for 5 minutes. I was going to use these for an apple crumble but I may just eat them as they are. I'll be making some more of these.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Sun 03 Feb, 2019 9:54 am

Warin wrote:PS, my latest dried apple turn out fairly tasty. No spices, bit of lemon, 6 mm thick and wide before cooking in the microwave for 5 minutes. I was going to use these for an apple crumble but I may just eat them as they are. I'll be making some more of these.

I will have to try microwave dried apple, I have been drying mine in the oven.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Noob » Fri 14 Jun, 2019 8:40 am

wildwanderer wrote:No no no the coles toasted muesli is awful stuff. Don’t buy it!

It occasionally goes out of stock so I cant have anyone else contributing to demand! Its all mine! :mrgreen:

There is a new Coles toasted muesli with nuts instead of fruit, it's pretty nice if still a bit sweet.
Nuts and seeds only make up about 10% of the product, but now I have choices, maybe I'll even have a third container with the two mixed together :D
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker