Walls of Jerusalem - solo trip

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walls of Jerusalem - solo trip

Postby katefawcettbradley » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi everyone!

Just wanting a few experienced persons opinions in relation to attempting the Walls of Jerusalem by myself in 4 weeks time (obviously weather dependant!)

I've read that the trek from the carpark is quite a rough trip, but have also heard that it's not that bad: thoughts from people who have done it already?

Also, does anyone have ant hints/tips/recommendations for my time there should I end up going?

Thanks in advance!!

Kate.
katefawcettbradley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Walls of Jerusalem - solo trip

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 2:46 pm

I've never heard it described as 'rough' before. It's a constant uphill slog for the first ~1 hour. Most of that is not terribly steep, but just constant uphill. The track is not what I would regard as 'rough', but is quite well formed most of the way. Not boardwalk (until up into the top Walls area itself), but clear and hard.

I guess there is a very short 'rough' section right near the top, where it climbs a rocky steep section just before hitting the plateau (ie, between Trappers Hut and Solomons Jewels).

My 9 year old daughter had no trouble walking from the car park to beyond the far side of the Walls in one day last year. (Carrying her own gear apart from sleeping bag, tent, stove & food).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby katefawcettbradley » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 2:53 pm

See what you're saying is what I'm talking about! I've been warned off it from a few people when I've told them I'm going alone, but hearing that your 9yo was capable (and smashed it by the sounds of it!) makes me think that it's utter crap. I'm almost thinking that these people may have been referring to a different section..

What was the water situation like when you were there last year? Taps at WDC functioning reliably?
katefawcettbradley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby czechingoutofhere » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 3:11 pm

There should be plenty of people in there that time of year if the park is open again. Hopefully this fire nightmare will be over by then and you'll be able to go. The uphill climb from the carpark is indeed a slog but once you get there, it's fairly plain sailing and you won't encounter too many more steep uphill sections. Are you planning on doing the full loop? We stayed at Wild Dog the first night, Dixons the second and then walked out around the lakes the following morning. We were planning to stay at Lake Adelaide but made good time so decided to return to civilisation :) As I said there should be plenty of people there so if you get into any difficulty help should be a decent shout away with any luck. Weather is of course the deciding factor, could be beautifully sunny, could be freezing cold and snowing, you never know. It's such a special place though, an amazing experience.

The walk into Wild Dog is so nice as you pass the tarns and see your first decent patch of pencil pines. Definitely go up Solomon's Throne if you have the time and King David's peak has amazing views over to the Overland peaks. We did sunrise on Mount Jerusalem and that was spectacular looking out over the lakes of the central plateau. My favourite spot was actually on the way back out past Lake's Ball and Adelaide, stunning pineapple plants and red mountain rocket together in the most beautiful colours. The Pool of Bethesda is also a must see and so damn tranquil, had the whole place to myself on our second evening.

P.S. Possum proof your tent and belongings, the Dixon's Kingdom possums are very bold indeed. We saw a lady who's expensive tent had been torn open while she slept inside.

Here's my trip report below in case there's anything I missed :)
https://czechingoutofhere.com/2018/03/1 ... m-circuit/
czechingoutofhere
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xastorm » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 7:00 pm

I have booked to take the boat over and hike the Walls area on the 18th, but am starting to suspect this will be a no go due to fires. I realise no one has a crystal ball, but what are everyone's feelings on how things will go in this timeframe? Am starting to think about booking alternative destinations.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby katefawcettbradley » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 8:16 pm

Thanks czechingoutofhere! That's great information. Hoping the fires will be an all clear by the 16th March and I happen to score good weather, your blog post is great :D
katefawcettbradley
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby philm » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 7:38 am

The walk from the car park is fine - it is just consistent up hill but the track is good. In terms of the fires who knows - we have been watching it carefully and hopefully they don't get into the WOJ park. There is a fire on the Eastern edge of the park at present so lets hope the rain comes this week and is able to slow it or put it out. Its a special place and a great place to spend a few days.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 10:55 am

There are long loops and short ones - it does depend to some extent on which one you're doing. Going in and out via Trappers is one of the shorter of the possible tracked loops. You can continue around Adelaide down to Meston, and from there either go out via Blizzard Plains or keep going to Junction and then exit via Moses Creek, with or without a sidetrip up to the Cathedral Plateau. Either of those two options involve a little road walking at the end to get back to the main carpark, but it's not far. The trickiest bit of any of that is Moses Creek track, especially near Junction where it can be hard to pick up where it goes if heading out that way.

You can also vary the route into Wild Dog/Dixons from Trappers by going via George Howes. This does involve a little (very easy) off-track walking but is well worth the effort. Then there is also the option of using the Golden Gate to reach Zion Vale . . .
So many different ways to do the Walls.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 11:51 am

katefawcettbradley wrote:See what you're saying is what I'm talking about! I've been warned off it from a few people when I've told them I'm going alone, but hearing that your 9yo was capable (and smashed it by the sounds of it!) makes me think that it's utter crap. I'm almost thinking that these people may have been referring to a different section..

What was the water situation like when you were there last year? Taps at WDC functioning reliably?

Perhaps some of the people who thought it was too rough or difficult were either unfit, or did alternate routes. There are multiple routes into the Walls apart from the main track. The others are all harder, steeper and rougher.

My 9 yo even did the off-track section that NNW was talking about (via George Howes Lake) and managed OK. Sure she did complain about being tired for the last hour or so on that first day, but she has very short legs and being off-track there was a bit of scoparia to wade through here and there.

I don't normally stop at WDC, but on this occasion, our plans to climb Mt Jerusalem on our second day were hampered by steady rain all day, so we walked past the turn off and continued through to camp at WDC on the second night. The water from the sky was reliable and water from the tap was also reliable. My kids don't like walking in the rain yet, so we spent most of that day in the tent.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Warin » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 12:39 pm

katefawcettbradley wrote:I've read that the trek from the carpark is quite a rough trip, but have also heard that it's not that bad

You can make it as hard or soft as you like. Walk faster will make it harder. Walk slower will make it easier.

Going solo does remove social pressure to walk at some pace, a good thing.
Going solo means if you find it getting beyond you - simply turning around and going back is easy - there is only yourself so no one else to disagree with.

Just go. Take a PLB and have fun.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby vagrom » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 8:37 pm

I've read that the Mole Creek Hotel manager can drop off and pick up between this area and Mole Creek, which is on the Redline bus route. I've never enquired so how current this is and what the charges are I don't know.

An interesting through route would be to walk up to Lady Lake from the Walls and down Higgs Track. The lady taxi driver in Deloraine charged $70 in March last year from Deloraine to the Higgs car park.

The most satisfying through route is always going to be from the Walls to Cynthia Bay via the Never Never.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania