Frenchmans cap transport options

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Frenchmans cap transport options

Postby Parkinson » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 3:56 pm

I've been looking at a quick trip down to climb frenchmans,
I'm aware of the tassie link bus out there but the timetable doesn't quite line up well for a return trip

Are there any other options that i've missed for transport from frenchmans to hobart/launceston?
Parkinson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Frenchmans cap transport options

Postby vagrom » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 11:16 pm

You'd be very unlucky not to thumb a lift. All visitors doing the Tas. circuit take this route and your pack's a benefit here. Glampers want to know what it's like off track.
But Tassielink should provide you with real options if you study their West Coast timetable well. To/from Derwent Bridge or Queenstown.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 7:25 am

I had the same issue recently. Tassielink doesn't run through there every day and a shuttle or taxi would be expensive. Hitching was the obvious solution. It took about half an hour. Traffic was light because it turned out the road was closed somewhere past Derwent Bridge due to fire. I spent a night at Lk St Clair and then hitched again in the morning to Hobart.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby RossageRoll » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 8:53 am

Even with quiet traffic you won't have an issue getting a lift to derwent bridge at least which will give you options to stay at least
RossageRoll
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 11:13 am

Orion wrote:I had the same issue recently. Tassielink doesn't run through there every day and a shuttle or taxi would be expensive. Hitching was the obvious solution. It took about half an hour. Traffic was light because it turned out the road was closed somewhere past Derwent Bridge due to fire. I spent a night at Lk St Clair and then hitched again in the morning to Hobart.

Sorry for not picking you up, but I had the mattress which meant no room for passengers. Have to find a way to fix that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby vagrom » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 11:18 am

Hopefully Derwent Bridge Hotel Backpackers is back in action. Lances dog boxes - old, converted Hydro rooms. A room for yourself for $40. $45 each for a 2 bedder at the St Clair Village or camp free at Fergy's Paddock.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby Orion » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 11:57 am

north-north-west wrote:
Orion wrote:I had the same issue recently. Tassielink doesn't run through there every day and a shuttle or taxi would be expensive. Hitching was the obvious solution. It took about half an hour. Traffic was light because it turned out the road was closed somewhere past Derwent Bridge due to fire. I spent a night at Lk St Clair and then hitched again in the morning to Hobart.

Sorry for not picking you up, but I had the mattress which meant no room for passengers. Have to find a way to fix that.

What? You saw me and somehow knew it was me??

There was a van with people who stopped just to tell me that they couldn't pick me up because they didn't have a seat. I saw them later in the campground (Fergy's was off-limits due to the fire). And again as I was hitching in the morning. Was that you? If so, thanks again for stopping even if it was just to say that to me.

Ironically, I caught a ride to Hobart in a camper van with a bed in back but no seat. I knew it was illegal and potentially dangerous but took the ride anyways.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 2:11 pm

No, that wasn't me who stopped, but I did see someone with a walker''s backpack hitching south when I drove out on Saturday morning. May have been you, may not.
I just tend to feel a bit guilty when I don't stop. I did give a rueful "sorry mate" grimace as I passed, but that was all - dirty silver SUV with red kayak on top.

Mattress is actually laid over the passenger's side, from dash to rear seat back. And the rest of the back seat was full of gear. Passengers are not an option with that set up.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Parkinson » Thu 07 Feb, 2019 4:51 pm

Cheers for the info.

Tassie link runs thursday and sunday which is do able, just would have liked not to rush back for a 1:30pm bus.
Its good to know I should be able to thumb a lift, even to lake st clair where I could get another bus
Parkinson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Fri 08 Feb, 2019 3:46 am

Cheers, NNW. I saw that same grimace on others' faces and it warmed my heart that they cared. Nobody owed me a ride. I've only hitched a few times in Tasmania and have been pleasantly surprised with how it's worked out. In my own country hitching back to my car after long walks has sometimes been more difficult.

Parkinson, I hadn't showered in twelve days and there were approximately 37 March flies buzzing around my head and I still got a ride. I'm not that experienced at hitching but someone who is gave me some suggestions. He said to take off your sunglasses so people can see your face, smile or at least have a neutral, open look, and wave at those who drive by (as opposed to flipping them off).
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania