Oyster overhang

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Oyster overhang

Postby sandym » Mon 04 Mar, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi guys:

Has anyone been along Wombat Ridge fire trail and camped at the caves that are called "Oyster Overhang" in Ron Doughton's Bushwalking in the Budawangs book?

Apparently near a creek, but no mention of water availability and it has been a dry summer.

Thanks
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Oyster overhang

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 10:51 am

Haven't been there yet but interested to hear about this myself. I wonder what the possibility is of continuing up pigion house gorge and making it out to Ngaityung Falls then west to and up Garada point...
Huntsman247

Postby odnuas » Thu 07 Mar, 2019 6:31 am

I've camped there several times. You need to get down Rusden Head (take rope) and then follow the fire trail down. The trickiest part is finding both the turn off from the fire trail and then the overhang. The overhang is nestled into the side of the gorge (right at the top). I've always taken enough water as I don't remember there being much water around. It's a great place to camp but can get a little dusty if wind kicks up the dirt. Previous visitors have arranged some sandstone there into furniture.
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FionaShedden » Thu 07 Mar, 2019 10:03 am

I haven't ventured this side of Little Forest Plateau myself, but based an a trip we did down Gaol house pass to the Clyde and then back up Dunmal creek to Talaterang and back to Mt Bushwalker I would suggest any "off track" walking in this area is really difficult. The scrub is impossible and the creeks are also very difficult and require rope.
Getting up from the Clyde to Talaterang was a *&%$#! hard day and we ended up camping wherever we could find an open area on Taleterang when we ran out of daylight and couldn't make Gadara Point.

I note this great trip report, which seems to indicate getting to the caves was reasonably easy but trying to do a circuit not so good - certainly lines up with all the experience I've had this side of the budawangs:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16871

I noted that there were some photos of the cave and the pass down Rusden head in below link. Looks like a great cave.
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/South-Coas ... 224870227/
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sandym » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 8:30 am

Yes, well thanks to you both. I feel a bit embarrassed to say that I opted to walk the Corang Circuit, camp at Burrmbeet and take a detour to Yurnga Lookout.

The Budawangs bush is famous - infamous - even on tracks it is scratchy work, and I had a lovely thrash getting up to Yurnga when the scrap of track ran out.
sandym

Postby odnuas » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 9:04 am

No need to be embarrassed - Corang circuit is an absolute classic. I live overseas at present but hope to get back to the 'wangs at some point!
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FionaShedden » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:52 am

Agree Corang Circuit is a classic and tracks this side of the park seem to be in much better condition - think they get more walkers to keep them open.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby puredingo » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 8:38 am

Bit late on this one but I was on Wombat Ft over the weekend. There is usually a pretty good track into the cave these days with a small cairn indicating the turn off to skinny and scrubby foot pad, but I didn't notice it, although I wasn't looking for it...so it wasn't obvious is what I'm trying to say.

Definitely take water. There are a couple of creeks around that run down into the gorge but I reckon they would only hold water after some good rain.

Take it easy as you come down off Rused head. I don't know why, I've taken on higher and more daunting drop off's in my time but that one always gets the blood pumping. Good luck!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT