Where to camp when Bugiga Hiker Camp is booked out?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Where to camp when Bugiga Hiker Camp is booked out?

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 11:06 am

I was 'planning' to head off this afternoon to The Grampians for the weekend.

I was there last July and did a night on the Buggy platforms and thought that this time I should pay for the privilege, however they're all booked out for tonight and Saturday...

From memory, a Grampians map I had showed a vast hatched extent of 'no camping' except in these user pay areas - what's going on? How come Parks have taken away my freedom?

Can any one shed some light on this / provide alternative spots - no amenities required?
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Where to camp when Bugiga Hiker Camp is booked out?

Postby bernieq » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 8:46 pm

You can blame the Peaks Trail development for widespread distributed camping exclusions - and, as the development continues, so will the exclusions. The final result will restrict all camping to designated camps (some with usb charging stations!).

Currently, a little west of Bugiga gets you out of the restricted area - for a map, search for 'Grampians np visitors guide'.

Once a frequent destination for me, the Grampians now is stuffed.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Thu 02 May, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks Berni - I ended up doing Beeripmo again after spending a night with Camp DILIGAF at Richards on the Friday... sheesh.

Looks like climbers are in/will be in the same situation - rock art is irreplaceable, so I see the concern - https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/battle-over ... o/11056572

But its *&^%$#! that Leave-No-Trace hikers like us and those here cannot do what they want in our National Parks...

Would an NLT certificate - government certified (heaven forbid..) - give us a chance..? Or do we just individually sneak off into the bush, west of Buiga for our hint of freedom?
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Fri 03 May, 2019 9:02 pm

Yeah, well, as I've said here and elsewhere, Grampians isn't an option any more (for me). I just don't want to confront all the infrastructure that's destroying what was fabulous bush.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Return to Victoria