South Coast track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast track

Postby bluetongue » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 7:32 pm

Welcome any comment whether runners would be fine for a jaunt on the track ( December). In my twilight years anything to cut down on weight is worth considering within reason. I’m allowing myself 8 days so tucker, fuel and shelter will eat into my kilos. I’m also planning to take a small tarp- about 500g. My personal preference is Salomon XD’s . Boots ( Rossi) 2nd choice
Thanks
bluetongue
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: South Coast track

Postby doogs » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 5:56 am

The SCT is an arduous walk with plenty of rough uneven sections. I'd also expect there to be plenty of mud in December. I wouldn't consider runners for this walk.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rangersac » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 7:13 am

Even if it was unseasonably dry boots are a must for the ironbound descent for ankle support
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 7:57 am

I've seen people doing it in runners. I've also seen the damage done by bogdodgers (who are more likely to be those with lighter footwear). It is however, very muddy in some sections and also leechy. Boots and gaiters do a better job at keeping the mud and crawlies off.
Beach sections are better done barefoot. And gee that feels so good...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bushwalker zane » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 8:53 am

Yep! Boots all the way. You're carrying that weight on your feet anyway, so it's less noticeable than in a pack in my opinion.

Once you start charging through the mud there (which you should - to prevent further degradation of that beautiful area) your runners are going to be a miserable place to have your footsies.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 9:45 am

I've seen people in muddy runners on the SCT. There's no reason you can't slop through mud in them, although a pair of gaiters seems like a good idea. The business about ankle support is controversial at best.

Ultimately it's a personal choice.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

South Coast Track

Postby bluetongue » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 2:33 pm

Feedback welcome.
1. Boots or runners for an 8 day trip in December. I’m okay with either but would prefer hoofing it in a pair of Salomon if possible. Any weight saving is helpful given the bulk of the load will be fuel/ shelter/ food. My feeling is that runners would be fine as long as there is no chance of leaving them in the mud somewhere.
2. Also what is the likelihood of any 3/4 G network reception ( Telstra) along the track.
Thanks
bluetongue
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: South Coast Track

Postby slparker » Sat 30 Mar, 2019 3:36 pm

I have worn both trad GTX boots and salomon trail runners on the SCT.

Trail runners are definitely better, IMHO, as; unless it has been significantly upgraded, lots of knee - hip length mud is the norm if there has been rain. Boots might stay dry for a few days but it gets pretty tiresome taking them off for every creek crossing and eventually the water gets in and GTX lined boots cannot dry out on a walk.

Salomon shoes will not come off in the mud. Pick a pair with good grip in the wet and that can take gaiters: not all trail runners are created equal.

There will be other opinions from more learned folk and I have only been down there a couple of times - at the end of the day either option has its own advantages and disadvantages.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: South Coast Track

Postby doogs » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 5:12 pm

bluetongue wrote:Feedback welcome.
1. Boots or runners for an 8 day trip in December. I’m okay with either but would prefer hoofing it in a pair of Salomon if possible. Any weight saving is helpful given the bulk of the load will be fuel/ shelter/ food. My feeling is that runners would be fine as long as there is no chance of leaving them in the mud somewhere.
2. Also what is the likelihood of any 3/4 G network reception ( Telstra) along the track.
Thanks

1. Are you waiting for an answer you like or did you not read all the feedback above?
2. Very very unlikely to get any reception anywhere on the track. I've had reception on the high peaks in the SW but they probably block all locations on the SCT. A very slim possibility on top of the Ironbound Range.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rangersac » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 8:05 pm

Cockle Creek side of South Cape Range I got some reception. Nothing elsewhere.
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby philm » Mon 01 Apr, 2019 7:27 am

When we did the walk in March 2019 people walked off track to the top of the Ironbound peak and they had reception with Telstra off course
No reception elsewhere
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania