Filtering water at Cooyoyo Creek and Styles Plain

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Filtering water at Cooyoyo Creek and Styles Plain

Postby Snooze » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi all, I live in Sydney and intend to do, with one companion, the Overland Track, seven months from now, in February 2019. Planning for this, and acquiring some gear already (the dehydrator just turned up) has made me want to do some shorter overnight walks in NSW, as practise runs. I’m very attracted to the idea of a walk or two in the Budawangs at the moment.

The camping destinations I was looking at were Cooyoyo Creek (walking in from Yadboro) or Styles Plain on Styles Creek (from Sassafras?) I can see we would need to carry a water filter. There’s only two of us, and obviously lighter is better. For the OT I was looking at getting the lightest Steripen, but which water filter would suit conditions in the Budawangs best? I guessed a 2-litre gravity-powered style one like the Platypus, which is about 200 grams. Is there something better/lighter/cheaper? Does anyone just bring those Micropur tabs (cheapest option)? Thanks to anyone who can give me advice about this.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Filtering water at Cooyoyo Creek and Styles Plain

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 9:48 pm

I (personally) don't bother with filters... Tabs are fine if you don't mind the odd solid bit. Cooyoyo was the driest I've ever seen (couple of small stagnant pools) a few weeks back but might have improved with recent rain. Styles should be OK.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:10 pm

Styles is all good as at 16/05.

Flowing and clear.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 28 Jun, 2018 9:41 am

I haven't bothered treating water in NSW in years. I might at Cooyoyo, since the camping there is a bit feral, and the water source suspect. But for a one nighter you could just boil it or use tabs.

I probably wouldn't bother on the OT either (Parks Tas checklist notwithstanding). But it's obviously a personal preference.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wallwombat » Thu 28 Jun, 2018 1:49 pm

Or you could just boil your water.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hanna » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has been to Cooyoyo Creek lately. We are planning to do a hike up there with our 14 year old son, next week, so I want to make sure there is water. I was there nearly 20 years ago, and the lack of water was terrible in the heat. My husband says that he remembers a cave on the way to the monolith valley that had water, but noone has mentioned this cave in all the blogs I've come across and I'm worried there won't be any water there. Thanks for any help or advice, Hanna.
hanna
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby ribuck » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 8:19 pm

hanna wrote:My husband says that he remembers a cave on the way to the monolith valley that had water

As you make your way up Nibelung Pass, well before the chains, look down to the base of the cliffs on the left of the path, and you will see a couple of places where water is flowing through some small pools. It's not really a "cave", more like a creek surrounded by some rocks which makes it a bit dark and cavelike. You will probably hear the water flowing. I have collected water there, and have never seen it dry.

Equally, I very much doubt Cooyoyo Creek would be dry in the current conditions, but I can see why you want to be sure if you are taking your son. Hopefully someone can give you a current report.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Tyreless » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 8:46 pm

I was there in mid February and there was water flowing in Cooyoyo Creek at the camping ground.
Tyreless
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 9:00 pm

We've had a bit of rain recently in the area. Cooyoyo Crk will definitely have water.
And you can usually find water at the entrance to the monolith valley which is not far from the saddle and of course in the valley itself.
Huntsman247

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 10:31 pm

From memory the "cave" *is* cooyoyo Creek, just further upstream? Might be wrong.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 8:23 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:From memory the "cave" *is* cooyoyo Creek, just further upstream?

Yes that's right, and I reckon the "cave" would be the last part of Cooyoyo Creek to dry up in a drought.

Fortunately, Tyreless has confirmed water in mid-February. If there was water then, there will certainly be water now.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT