Thredbo to Jindabyne to Canberra summer transport options

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Thredbo to Jindabyne to Canberra summer transport options

Postby IDP » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 8:04 am

I have a question regarding transport from Thredbo to Canberra during the summer months.
I’m looking to walk solo from Tharwa to Thredbo early next year: mostly along the AAWT (I’ve posted this in the NSW section, as it is a question not specific to the AAWT).
Upon completion, I’d like to get back to my car in Canberra.
The Thredbo website (https://www.thredbo.com.au/about-thredbo/getting-here/getting-here-by-bus/) gives some info but mostly related to winter transport options.

1. Thredbo to Jindabyne:
From what I can gather, one option is to catch the “school” bus run by Cooma Coaches that leaves Thredbo around 0800 school days and arrives in Jindabyne around 0845 (http://www.coomacoaches.com.au/display_timetable.php?id=42).
There also seems to be the possibility of an afternoon run as the return leg travels from Jindabyne to Thredbo, arriving at Thredbo around 1630 before returning to “depot” (presumably Jinadbyne) at 1715 (http://www.coomacoaches.com.au/display_timetable.php?id=43).
Have others had much experience with catching this “school” buses – I’ve seen posted that they take non-school students? I’ve yet to contact Cooma Coaches but will do so.
Are there other economical summer options that I’m missing?
Is hitching to Jindabyne likely to be easy?

2. Jindabyne to Canberra:
Similarly, the only summer option for the Jindabyne to Canberra leg seems to be the NSW TrainLink Regional coach service that leaves Jindabyne at 0820 and arrives Canberra at 1115 (https://transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/94-776-Southern-NSW-20180101.pdf). This only runs Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays and apparently must be pre-booked.
Obviously given the arrival time of the Thredbo-Jindabyne bus, this would require an additional overnight in Jindabyne.
Any other economical summer options that I’m missing for this leg or indeed the entire Thredbo-Canberra trip?

I’d be appreciative of others have insights or experience for this matter. Thanks
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Thredbo to Jindabyne to Canberra summer transport option

Postby Zapruda » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 1:26 pm

I do Thredbo to Canberra solo annually.

I catch the NSW TrainLink coach to Jindabyne, have something to eat and then walk to the school and get on the school bus to Thredbo. The school bus is $20 to the driver and some good convo. The bus from Canberra to Jindabyne is about $17 from memory.

Catching the school bus is not a drama. I hop on in the arvo and its a fun ride with all the kids asking questions and the driver giving you the local goss. Give Cooma Coaches a courtesy call to let them know you might be hopping on.

Hitching from Thredbo to Jindabyne is fine but not worth wasting the time in my opinion. Sometimes it takes 10 mins and other times it can be hours....

I suggest you do the walk from Thredbo to Canberra, the logistics are easier and avoid staying a night in Jindy. This also gives you the chance to take your time on the Main Range if the weather is poor.

The Plan - You arrive in Jindabyne at lunch time from Canberra, hop on the school bus at 15:20(ish), Get to Thredbo at 16:30, walk along the Thredbo river track and up Dead Horse Gap for night 1 or alternatively the Thredbo YHA for night 1. Easy!

A taxi to Canberra city from Tharwa is about $80-$100...

Don't over think it too much. I have done it about 7 times now and I have never had an issue.

Cheers,
Stef
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby IDP » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks Stef for the info/tips - the transport logistics do look friendlier walking S-N

As I'm keen to spend time on Main Range and the Gungartan-Kerries-Brassy Mtns-Jagungal area, it may be easier that way too to allow for weather.

Cheers again
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 1:54 pm

IDP wrote: As I'm keen to spend time on Main Range and the Gungartan-Kerries-Brassy Mtns-Jagungal area

Good choice! A fantastic part of the mountains. Robert Greens 'exploring the Jagungal Wilderness' is a great book for some very detailed info on the area.

Let us know if you have any questions on the area. There is a lot of combined knowledge here on this little sub forum.

Cheers.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby IDP » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 2:12 pm

Great thanks
And yes, I just recently acquired this book - nice notes, ideas, and perspectives for sure.
I'm planning for early next year so may well reach out on specific questions.
Thanks again
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT