Victorian track and road closures discussion

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Victorian track and road closures discussion

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 18 May, 2018 6:51 pm

A suggestion was made for a sticky for each state and territory showing track and road closures. Please advise here of any edits to the Victorian sticky and of any track or road closures.

The Victorian sticky is at viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27860
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Victorian track and road closures discussion

Postby ErichFromm » Sun 20 May, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks. What's great about this forum is people looking out for others....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 30 Oct, 2018 3:53 pm

The Bogong High Plains Road is expected to open this Friday 2/11/18. That is the plan and it is on track to do so. Don't blame me if it doesn't. My source is good however.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Victorian Road closures discussion

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 3:48 pm

Cascade Fire Trail closed in March 2019. See
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=29042
The diversion is a major pain.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GBW » Thu 09 May, 2019 10:29 am

Do seasonal road closures include walkers (and bicycles) ? In particular...

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... Map26C.pdf
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 09 May, 2019 11:17 am

Road closures. My long held and practiced understanding has been road closured are to vehicles. You may walk until your heart's content.
During a recent conversation with a ranger I proposed a fatbike trip along a seasonally closed road, behind the gates to access areas over winter. He advised as a bike is a vehicle = no go. He advised that Parks staff do not venture beyond locked gates during seasonal closures unless gates/locks show signs that of damage, removal etc. Closures manage impact and subsequent maintenance and rehab works, not too mention ill-prepped pers rescues during winter. Minimum impact and LNT to be practiced always. Go beyond the gates, do it respectfully and all users/stakeholders won't thank you - they just won't know you've been there. Aim to have less impact than a wombat and it'll be alright in the long run.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nezumi » Thu 09 May, 2019 12:12 pm

GBW wrote:Do seasonal road closures include walkers (and bicycles) ? In particular...

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... Map26C.pdf

I can't speak to those particular roads, but I have enjoyed riding up the dirt road on Donna Buang for the Queens Birthday long weekend a few times. Having the road closed and riding up it has been an awesome experience - but I wouldn't be in favour of riding down a closed dirt/backcountry road, given the potential for encountering hazards at pace.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 May, 2019 1:03 pm

Heremeahappy1 is spot on. Seasonal closures in Vic NP's mean push bikes also but walking is fine. We often ride BHP road just before it opens but that is tar sealed. However on Management Vehicle only tracks you can ride a push bike unless it specifically prohibits them. So it could mean you can ride on MVA's all year round but not on a seasonally closed road. I will have to consult the legislation and it could need clarification. I have discovered other elements of contradiction within the NP Act and Regs.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Thu 09 May, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks guys. I may have to walk instead but I'm still unsure why pushies are classified in the same category as cars. Most of these roads/tracks (on the map link) form part of the Upper Yarra Trail to Baw Baw and would be a great extension of the Warburton Rail Trail as a way to access Baw Baw in the winter.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 May, 2019 4:51 pm

My advice for now would be to contact your local PV office. They may have better information but I have found that the local parkies are not always up to date with legislation and its interpretation. Push bikes can do a great deal of damage to wet tracks. One may not be an issue but if it was allowed across the board then tracks could suffer badly. It is impossible to allow one or two and not 1000.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Thu 09 May, 2019 5:04 pm

This is the regulation
93 Road and track closures to some or all vehicles
r. 93
(1) The Secretary by determination may set aside a road or track in a park as an area—
(a) to which the entry of vehicles or a class of vehicles is prohibited;
(b) to which the entry of vehicles or a class of vehicles is restricted.
(2) A determination under subregulation (1) may except a class of vehicles from any prohibition or restriction contained in the determination.

So you need to find out if a determination has been made on that portion of track. Local PV office again. Like I said before, a seasonal closure affects all vehicles but a MVA can have exceptions. I am not sure if PV have worked out the difference yet. Exceptions may not apply seasonally so you can ride MVA's. That is my view based on short reading but don't take it as gospel.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Thu 09 May, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks Xplora, I contacted PV earlier to get some clarification a "vehicle" and got a reply. You were all correct. She asked me if I was prepared for cold wet conditions.
Hi Gerard,
No problem - I just wanted to make sure you were prepared!
That term does include push bikes. Bicycles can't be used on roads that are under a seasonal road closure. Walking is permitted, though.
Hope this information helps. Thanks for checking.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 5:41 am

Peaks Challenge Falls Creek is a 235km loop ride starting at Falls Creek and riding up Tawonga Gap, Mount Hotham and through Omeo before heading up the back of Falls Creek on 8 March 2020. Due to bushfires this event may not happen, but if it does, expect some road closures.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/rides ... challenge/
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Thu 13 Feb, 2020 4:01 am

Lophophaps wrote:Peaks Challenge Falls Creek is a 235km loop ride starting at Falls Creek and riding up Tawonga Gap, Mount Hotham and through Omeo before heading up the back of Falls Creek on 8 March 2020. Due to bushfires this event may not happen, but if it does, expect some road closures.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/rides ... challenge/

I would lay good money on this still going ahead. BHP road is ready to open once the aerial deer cull is over. It will be closed for the start of the event, which is early morning, but only between Falls and Mt. Beauty and then it close again from the Omeo Hwy to Falls from noon to around 8pm. Apart from that there is usually a closure on Tawonga gap road and considerable congestion on all other open roads with bikes taking up the entire lane and riders 4 abreast or in large groups. It is best to avoid the area entirely for that day and Falls Creek for that weekend. Even travelling in the opposite direction is hazardous with cars attempting to pass bikes on blind corners. There is a considerable risk of a head on collision and I can speak from personal experience.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 09 Jun, 2021 8:40 am

The next few days will be fairly brisk.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/ ... /100198930
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby icefest » Wed 09 Jun, 2021 11:32 am

Lophophaps wrote:The next few days will be fairly brisk.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/ ... /100198930

woohoo whitewater kayaking time!
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 12 Oct, 2022 6:26 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-12/ ... /101527268
Victoria's alpine region has experienced a mass exodus of people as a slow-moving landslide cuts access to the Falls Creek ski village.

The Victorian Department of Transport made the decision to close the Bogong High Plains Road near Spring Saddle Track at midday today for safety reasons.

"With the predicted rain over the next few days … the slip will become unpredictable when it becomes saturated," Department of Transport Hume director Steve Bowmaker said.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Mon 17 Oct, 2022 5:40 pm

Get ready for some late openings. Word today that the wet weather will stop some roads opening at the end of the month.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ryanb180 » Wed 19 Oct, 2022 8:34 am

Any word yet on the Bongong to Falls creek l'slide being cleared?
Ryanb180
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 19 Oct, 2022 10:43 am

See
https://www.fallscreek.com.au/bogong-hi ... ober-2022/
As of two days ago the road was closed. It seems that the slides that are placing the road at risk are well up the mountain. If so then it may be possible to drive to Big Hill Car Park and walk from there. An average party should get well over Fainters on the first day and at Jim the next morning.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Wed 19 Oct, 2022 4:27 pm

Ryanb180 wrote:Any word yet on the Bongong to Falls creek l'slide being cleared?

More big rain on the way and there is no news on when it will open. Indefinitely is the word but that is just because the rain is not stopping. Trapyard gate may open at the end of the month and give access from Omeo Hwy to Falls Creek.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Biggles » Thu 20 Oct, 2022 11:59 am

Ryanb180 wrote:Any word yet on the Bongong to Falls creek l'slide being cleared?

I saw images of that landslip in the papers. Has this happened before around Falls Creek?
If they decide to give it the very expensive and engineered fix like vulnerable slopes along the Great Ocean Road (5 years of work) with drilling, anchoring, stepping, concreting, barriers and rope reinforcement, then one is looking at very long delays indeed, especially if such works take place in summer when it should be drier (but doesn't look that way from modelling...). The GOR is giving trouble too I believe. The rains coming from today are pretty much stopping at the border areas (rains which they do not want or need). Further down, we might get thunderstorms with hit and miss drenchings.
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 21 Oct, 2022 4:53 am

Biggles wrote:

I saw images of that landslip in the papers. Has this happened before around Falls Creek?
If they decide to give it the very expensive and engineered fix like vulnerable slopes along the Great Ocean Road (5 years of work) with drilling, anchoring, stepping, concreting, barriers and rope reinforcement, then one is looking at very long delays indeed, especially if such works take place in summer when it should be drier (but doesn't look that way from modelling...). The GOR is giving trouble too I believe. The rains coming from today are pretty much stopping at the border areas (rains which they do not want or need). Further down, we might get thunderstorms with hit and miss drenchings.

Work has been going on for some time on the Alpine Way near Khancoban and there are traffic lights and one lane. A bit of a wait but it works. Same would happen here. It will not be an easy bank to secure. Vic Roads, which is now Regional Roads Victoria out that way, have a history of creating bigger problems with its fixes. The Great Alpine Road is a good example.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 21 Oct, 2022 4:20 pm

Word today is that BHP road will open from the east (Trapyard gap) on Monday 24/10. I have not confirmed this personally though. No word on opening of the other side but at least there will be some access to BHP. A word of caution if you intend to drive up from the Omeo Hwy. As it will be the only access there may be more traffic than usual and it is quite narrow. Stay on the correct side of the road. Don't cut corners. You will no doubt come across others who do.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 22 Oct, 2022 3:44 pm

To give you some idea of the extent of the problem on BHP near Bogong village. Worse since last I saw.
ED1090F6-9180-4A77-B1D8-A999A5555B38.jpeg
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 22 Oct, 2022 3:47 pm

Sections of the Omeo Hwy are ready to slip also but these are more on the down side. Rock slides are common on the up side but the down side sections will take out half the road and it is a long way down to the river.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 22 Oct, 2022 3:58 pm

The picture is helpful, thanks for posting. There seems to me a concrete wall bottom right, and if so it's under 1-2 metres of earth further up. The sections that I thought more at risk are the very steep tall cuttings, not the above. The picture shows that the several sections of the road could be at risk. Phone and power lines nearby may fall over. This is not good. At least it's in summer and Falls Creek had a good ski season.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Sat 22 Oct, 2022 5:41 pm

Lophophaps wrote:The picture is helpful, thanks for posting. There seems to me a concrete wall bottom right, and if so it's under 1-2 metres of earth further up. The sections that I thought more at risk are the very steep tall cuttings, not the above. The picture shows that the several sections of the road could be at risk. Phone and power lines nearby may fall over. This is not good. At least it's in summer and Falls Creek had a good ski season.

Last week the slip was on the other side of the concrete barrier. Summer season starts at FC in 5 or so weeks. Winter is the main drawcard but MTB has taken off and everyone is waiting for the opening on 1st Dec. The increased traffic from the east will test things out if this is not sorted. Unfortunately councils and road authorities are only reactionary. Wait for the problem and then deal with it. It works for some things but they should see some problems and avoid road trauma.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sat 22 Oct, 2022 6:59 pm

18/11 is the projected date at this stage for BHP on the western side to open around the slip.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 26 Oct, 2022 3:35 pm

The road is totally blocked by the slip now so no vehicles (including emergency) can pass. Falls Creek resort is discouraging visitation and requires registration if you intend to visit or stay. MTB opening has been postponed and attempts will be made to have the road open by Christmas. Trapyard Gap gate is now open for access to the park from the east.

See here for registration if you want to go to the resort https://forms.office.com/pages/response ... 81eb40e17b
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Victoria