Private Property signs on Corang Loop

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Private Property signs on Corang Loop

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 7:09 am

Adventure Matt wrote:Hey guys has anyone camped at the Lagoon camp site since the signs have gone up?
I met a group last time I was out there camped out by the ribs who said they stayed the night but not sure if they stayed by the lagoon or that other campsite inbetween. I've been trying to contact the ranger responsible for that area but haven't received any responses as yet.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Adventure Matt » Mon 24 Sep, 2018 7:54 pm

Okay thanks only ask as I’am looking to go in a couple of weeks and that’s where I planned to camp. It you hear from the ranger please let me know what he says about the new situation.
Adventure Matt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby LachlanB » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 3:23 pm

*cought*Justcampthereanyway*cough*
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Wed 26 Sep, 2018 3:58 pm

I't would make for a lazy weekend but it's only a couple of hours from the Wog Wog entrance and probably the less interesting part of the Corang Loop. It's worth walking that part of the loop, it's good but if you're coming in from Wog Wog, I'd be thinking camping up around the Cascades if starting later in the day, or the Burrumbeet Caves might make for a better full day's bushwalking/Exploring.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mel123 » Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:53 pm

FYI we visited yesterday. No signs. Most of the large fireplaces have been dispersed, but apart from that looked as before.
Mel123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby NickB » Sat 23 Mar, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm interested in this also? Any updates around this private property issue? Thanks in advance, Nick
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby insect_eater » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 6:54 pm

Like Nick, I'm keen on any updates, as am planning a trip to Corang in May. Thanks for any advice on the current state of affairs.
I'd also appreciate any advice on alternative campsites just east of the private property boundary that might be a viable option. I recall another side-creek campsite on this route, but wasn't sure if it was on park.
Simon
insect_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 9:47 pm

insect_eater wrote:Like Nick, I'm keen on any updates, as am planning a trip to Corang in May. Thanks for any advice on the current state of affairs.
I'd also appreciate any advice on alternative campsites just east of the private property boundary that might be a viable option. I recall another side-creek campsite on this route, but wasn't sure if it was on park.
Simon
Couple of campsites not far past the private property.. First one just near broula brook (on the east side of the brook... I think thats in the np?) and one at the junction of canowie brook and a side creek about half way between the main cascades and the larger canowie brook campsite on the main track (maybe 15 mins past the cascades... Definitely in the np)

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 12:24 pm

insect_eater wrote:Like Nick, I'm keen on any updates, as am planning a trip to Corang in May. Thanks for any advice on the current state of affairs.
Simon
I've been trying to get in touch with the ranger to no avail but I was through there about a month and a half ago and the signs have been removed. Not sure by who. Life sorta got in the way and haven't been able to pursue it further. But a good reminder to get back into it.
Walk_fat_boy_walk is right about the other sites but obviously you don't have an awesome swimming hole right next to you. Given the lack of signs I'd feel rather comfortable to stay the night there.
I'm planning to walk out through there in early May coming in from folly point. Might pass you at some stage.
Huntsman247

Postby insect_eater » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks guys, I think the Broula Brook that Walk_fat_boy_walk mentioned is the one was the one I was thinking of - old campsite on a shady little knoll next to a small creek. I also recall some old blogs that mentioned numerous swimming holes bewteen the rock ribs and the lagoon, so I was interested to find out if that was true. My occasional glances in this direction have often spied blackberry, but I'm not really sure if they are thick or consistent. I've never wasted energy on investigating this possibility before, but might do so this time. I'm heading that way on the weekend of 18/19 May, so would be keen on heairng your report, Huntsman247.
insect_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 12 Apr, 2019 9:33 pm

I'm headed through couple weeks earlier insect_eater. Will post a report.

Just heard back from the ranger today. Apparently npws found out about the sale of the property after it had been sold already.
He said that he's been trying to contact the owners and that he'll be trying to negotiate for the track and place to be kept open. I've been told to check back in 6 months time.

At the moment I think pleading ignorance is the best option. Hopefully liability is the reason for the signs and something can be worked out.
Huntsman247

Postby ribuck » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 9:21 am

If I had known that piece of land was for sale, I so would have bought it. I didn't even realise it was outside the NP until this thread was posted.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 11:06 am

ribuck wrote:If I had known that piece of land was for sale, I so would have bought it. I didn't even realise it was outside the NP until this thread was posted.
I guess the lesson in all this is if we notice land that backs up into national park for sale. It may be the course of wisdom to post here and let the local ranger know. The ranger seemed genuinely bummed that they didn't know about it and it seems np would like to acquire that land due to its location.
Huntsman247

Postby insect_eater » Thu 02 May, 2019 6:05 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:I'm headed through couple weeks earlier insect_eater. Will post a report.

If you see this before you go, I'd be interested to know whether there is water in the creek near the well-used CC at the eastern end of Burrumbeet Brook.

Just FYI - I was having a squiz on sixmaps today and it looks like the Corang Peak range has been burnt up to Profile Rock - but'I've no idea how old those photos are. You might get a relatively clear run through this part.
insect_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 03 May, 2019 9:13 am

insect_eater wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:Just FYI - I was having a squiz on sixmaps today and it looks like the Corang Peak range has been burnt up to Profile Rock - but'I've no idea how old those photos are. You might get a relatively clear run through this part.

The fire was a few years ago and most of the vegetation has grown back. The only real scrub is along the Corang river.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 06 May, 2019 11:59 pm

insect_eater wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:I'm headed through couple weeks earlier insect_eater. Will post a report.

If you see this before you go, I'd be interested to know whether there is water in the creek near the well-used CC at the eastern end of Burrumbeet Brook.

Just FYI - I was having a squiz on sixmaps today and it looks like the Corang Peak range has been burnt up to Profile Rock - but'I've no idea how old those photos are. You might get a relatively clear run through this part.

Been a splendid trip. No signs at the lagoon and access seems unobstructed other than the few inconsiderate trees that have fallen over the track that have been there for the last few months anyways. Had a swim this morning and the water temperature was a lovely warm 7.2 degrees according to my watch. I found water to be pretty good everywhere. The creek that intersects the duck board just before the burrumbeet caves is flowing well and I could hear plenty water flowing in the creek near the camp caves. In fact from folly point to wog wog not a single water source that I crossed was dry.
The main track that goes over or around corang peak is pretty well maintained and is easy going despite the fire being a while ago. However between the junction of the main track & the track leading off to the ribs & the ribs themselves (if that made sense) there are definitely good sections of scratchy stuff but nothing that dramatic or that long pants & sleeves can't fix but I guess the scratch-o-meter can be rather relative.
Huntsman247

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 07 May, 2019 2:45 pm

Keen to hear Huntsman what route/track you took from Folly Point over to Burrumbeet, and what state it was in.

My last trip using that entrance was was many years ago (before kids) and since returning to the Budawangs in recent years, I've found many of the tracks I used to walk in the Park ( other than via Long gully/Wog Wog main entrances and tracks) are getting overgrown or completely dissapearing into the scrub.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby insect_eater » Tue 07 May, 2019 7:59 pm

Thank you Hunstman 247, I'm glad to hear that your trip went well, there is good water and no shotgun tripwires on the PP. I'm looking forward to a little free exfoliation below the kilt approaching the rock ribs (though i'm sure it wont be as Hakeary as Ettrema or as pervasive as the Nadgee wilderness).
insect_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 07 May, 2019 9:13 pm

Good stuff Huntsman. Like Fiona, I'm also interested in your adventures from Folly Pt to Burrumbeet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 08 May, 2019 1:55 am

crollsurf wrote:Good stuff Huntsman. Like Fiona, I'm also interested in your adventures from Folly Pt to Burrumbeet.

Same! In particular between Folly Point and Mt Cole.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 08 May, 2019 2:44 pm

Sounds like I'll have to write up a proper trip report. Maybe tonight when I get a chance.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 16 May, 2019 9:05 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:
crollsurf wrote:Good stuff Huntsman. Like Fiona, I'm also interested in your adventures from Folly Pt to Burrumbeet.

Same! In particular between Folly Point and Mt Cole.

Report here guys.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29770&p=374941#p374941
Huntsman247

Postby FionaShedden » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 9:00 pm

Was told today that there are signs up at the Wog Wog entrance and at the track junction saying that the track is closed. Anyone have confirmation on this as I was hoping to head down in a month's time.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zapruda » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 9:20 pm

FionaShedden wrote:Was told today that there are signs up at the Wog Wog entrance and at the track junction saying that the track is closed. Anyone have confirmation on this as I was hoping to head down in a month's time.

There weren’t any up when I was there the first weekend of August... Hopefully they aren’t up again.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FionaShedden » Sat 08 Aug, 2020 3:40 pm

Just found this video showing the state of the Corang loop after the fires. Looks like the private property signs are back. Given it's been six months from the fires there isn't a lot of regrowth - certainly appears pretty open now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8uzdy_PjiA
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 09 Aug, 2020 7:41 pm

I watched that too. It looks so different now.
Looks like the signs are also a lot more serious looking from the previous efforts... Not much can be done at this stage from what I can understand...
Huntsman247

Postby KateRock » Thu 13 Aug, 2020 8:37 am

FionaShedden wrote:Just found this video showing the state of the Corang loop after the fires. Looks like the private property signs are back. Given it's been six months from the fires there isn't a lot of regrowth - certainly appears pretty open now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8uzdy_PjiA

That's my vid thanks for sharing - yes it is shocking the change to the area. I have done this walk 8 times but had to use GPS to make sure I was on the track. A mate on Instagram wrote the following about the private property signs he said
"Interesting that you skirted the private property, we just pushed on and hoped we didn't run into someone...there was a second hard boundary fence after the one in your video, at the next creek, and signs at the lagoon heart breaking, and red flags on fence posts marking a soft boundary between the lagoon and Broula Brook, plus another hard boundary a hundred metres off"

It's pretty sad to lose this place. I was able to navigate around the property now that the fires have reduced the thick scrub. I didn't pick the best route but it's not too hard.
KateRock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby pedromrsi » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 6:09 pm

That's my quote, thanks for sharing :-).

As Kate was saying, the land owner seems to be taking his land ownership more seriously than last time. They have used the fire to their advantage, there are two fences, about 5 or so metres long, blocking the track at two creeks on the Corang River track, easy to get around now, not after a bit of regrowth, and a private property sign at Corang Lagoon.

On the cascades side, they have put up a hard fence, roughly 20m or so wide to block the track, again easy to get around now, but maybe not with a bit of regrowth, and there is a soft boundary (I think the actual boundary) a bit further on.

There is also some sort of structure on the cliffs of Goodsell Creek, giving whoever is there a good view of the track, going through their land, of any one walking along it. After seeing that I'm not real keen pushing my luck again and going through private property, anyway as Kate said, skirting it is fairly easy now, but in a few months the re-growth will make it a little more difficult.

I'm with Kate, it's a shame to lose the Lagoon, because of someone's ego, and I had meant to e-mail NSWP at Ulladulla, but I'm not sure what they can do. The landowner has put a lot of thought and effort into putting up the fences, as they aren’t going anywhere fast and with regrowth, it will be near impossible to get around them.

A couple of comments about the track, there a few spots where the track is hard to follow or non existent, just up from Wog Wog Creek, on a right hand curve, below Tinderry Lookout, and parts of the Corang River Track are the worst, you'll need your wits about you, otherwise if you're not paying attention, you will loose it,

And there is another video, a friend has made, of the Corang River / Goodsell Basin circuit we did in early July 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_001Hb3lTI&t=364s

I should also add, the Sassafras entrance to Morton NP is closed too, the land owners of the access road have revoked public access, and NSWP haven't been able to renegotiate it. I guess the landowners are demanding too much money, with NSWP unwilling to pay? And while I'm at it, I have never seen so much water on the Redground Track, there must have been at least an inch of surface water on either side of the track in various places, there were moments when I put my foot down into the mud, I thought it would keep going to my knee, I have never seen it that boggy.
pedromrsi
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 8:25 pm

Wow! When did the sassafras access get revoked?
Huntsman247

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 2:40 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:Wow! When did the sassafras access get revoked?
Must have been very recent if it has

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales & ACT