Beginner overnight tracks for this school holidays

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Beginner overnight tracks for this school holidays

Postby rumblepants » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi good people of the bush,

I'm wanting to get out an do an overnight walk this school holidays. I don't have a car so I'm searching for somewhere nice and accessible by Vline/Bus/Hitching etc.

Any recommendations would be very welcome. I'm not super picky but would like something remote and forested with ferns and such. I'm think maybe the upper yarra?

Fire away and thanks again to anyone who posts.

Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Beginner overnight tracks for this school holidays

Postby bobcrusader » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 5:16 pm

There is a bus that goes from Chirnside Park to Warburton. Pretty good walks around there.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby rumblepants » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks for the tip. I did not consider Warburton. Will start searching through Parksweb now.

If you have any trail recommendations in that area I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 10:20 am

Check out "Walk into History" in Warburton. It can get a little muddy in parts this time of year... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29551&p=376692&hilit=walk+into+history#p376692
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rumblepants » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 10:52 am

That looks perfect. I can plan a 3 day trip. Where's a good place to get current info on conditions in the area?
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GBW » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:13 am

You may need to walk from Warby township to the start at Big Pats Creek (~5k). I was there a few weeks ago and the track was clear (just a couple of trees down across the track). You can camp at Starlings Gap, New Federal Mill near the Ada Tree (if you travel that far) or Ada Mill No.2 near Federal Crossroads. Just check the weather, it's not a difficult walk so you should be right. It snowed at Starlings Gap when I was there last year so be prepared for the cold.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:20 am

My hot tip is to head north as usually it is drier (although colder at night).
Here's a good one:

Train to Castelmaine.
Walk to Bendigo via the Goldfields Track (2-3 days).
Train home.

Note that most of the walk is next to the Coliban Water Channel so you don't have to worry about carrying water. You do have to treat it, however as there are lots of dead animals in the channel.

http://goldfieldstrack.com.au/Pages/Exp ... Track.aspx
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rumblepants » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 1:44 am

Thank you both so much for the tips. I'm leaning towards the Walk into history right now as I don't mind the wet and cold. I grew up hiking in NZ so the wet and cold is actually kind of nostaligic for me. Will probably do the Bendigo one as well next holidays :)

Am in training at the moment averaging about 15kms a day walking to and from work and anywhere else i can get the steps in.

Going to werribee gorge with a mate on the weekend. Gonna take a weighted pack for more training/body conditioning. Also just to see if my body is ok.
I'm 43 and have been through some physical stuff in the past. Having said that I''m feeling pretty strong at the moment and reasonably fit.

Might put together a gear list and post it just to make sure I'm covering everything I'll need. I'm probably taking too much but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rumblepants » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 4:37 pm

The only tent I have is the Big Agnes Blacktail 2. Its a 3 season tent. Will it cut it for the Walk into history trail?

https://www.bigagnes.com/Blacktail-2-Pa ... -Footprint

I have a naturehike DK800 mummy bag with a comfort rating of -3. Was planning on using a sea to summit reactor extreme lining in it to boost the warmth. I'm a warm sleeper but my feet can get cold. Also planning thermals and a fleece buff to use as a beanie if i need it.

Thoughts?
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bobcrusader » Sat 22 Jun, 2019 1:42 pm

You'll be fine with a 3 season and a -3 bag. Any snow would be light.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rumblepants » Sat 22 Jun, 2019 6:00 pm

Thanks for the reassurance :)
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rumblepants » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 6:37 pm

Ok so given that I have a medical condition to think about and I'm very new to walking with a pack. I've decided to walk the rail trail from Lilydale to Warburton as an overnight hike. Does anyone know where i can camp along that walk. I've been researching but am struggling to find spots.
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bobcrusader » Sat 06 Jul, 2019 12:58 pm

Not camping, but maybe at the Launching Place hotel?
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rumblepants » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 5:08 pm

To anyone else reading this there's also Lerderderg Gorge just outside Bacchas Marsh. Quite a few nice walks in there and reachable via V/Line.

Cheers
Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 9:45 pm

I did Walk into History as a first hike in March.
Started at High Lead carpark, walked up the High Lead (*&%$#! hard), had a break at Ada 2 mill camp, then on to Starling's gap.
Next day gentle stroll down to Big Pat's.
The problem with Walk into History is it's a point to point hike.
You'll either need to turn around and walk back to Warburton or get picked up at Ada Tree carpark, High Lead carpark or if you're feeling like a walk Poweltown.
The beauty of it is you don't need to book or pay for campsites.
You can camp at Big Pat's, Starling's Gap, Ada 2 mill, New Federal Mill.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Fri 04 Oct, 2019 9:47 pm

rumblepants wrote:Ok so given that I have a medical condition to think about and I'm very new to walking with a pack. I've decided to walk the rail trail from Lilydale to Warburton as an overnight hike. Does anyone know where i can camp along that walk. I've been researching but am struggling to find spots.

I think there's camping at Woori Yallock rec. reserve.
I investigated that once for a hike and I think I read that, but can't find link at moment.

I did find this: https://www.aircamp.com.au/campsite/riv ... camp-areas.
Caveat Lector, but might be worth checking out.
Milgrove is near Warburton, and on the Warburton Highway, so you can get the bus from Lilydale Station.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 7:22 pm

I have taken public transport to Wilson's Prom. and hiked and camped down there and caught the bus back. I am not sure if that bus service still connects Tidal River With the V/Line bus at Fish Creek. V/Line Rail can take you to Wangaratta and then a connecting bus travels to Bright & Harrietville . The Bungalow Spur from Harrietville is an easy to follow track up to Federation Hut on Mt. Feathertop.
There is a Bright to Omeo bus that can drop you off at JB Plain/ JB Hut if you ask nicely. Again the train to Wangaratta is the first part of that long trip. There are some easy day walks in that area.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 6:01 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I have taken public transport to Wilson's Prom. and hiked and camped down there and caught the bus back. I am not sure if that bus service still connects Tidal River With the V/Line bus at Fish Creek. V/Line Rail can take you to Wangaratta and then a connecting bus travels to Bright & Harrietville . The Bungalow Spur from Harrietville is an easy to follow track up to Federation Hut on Mt. Feathertop.
There is a Bright to Omeo bus that can drop you off at JB Plain/ JB Hut if you ask nicely. Again the train to Wangaratta is the first part of that long trip. There are some easy day walks in that area.

Not sure about public transport beyond Fish-creek or Foster if you're going to the Prom.
When I checked it out before eventually driving down in August, there wasn't anything public.
There was/are public/private taxis that'll take you the final step.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 7:03 pm

We got the train (Mernda Line), bus (901 Frankston), train, (Lilydale Line) then bus to Warburton on Saturday morning.
Started The Walk into History from Warburton.
Walked to Big Pat's, had lunch, then walked up to Starling's gap.
Stuffed after that. Camped last night.
Bailed on walking today, and got a lift out from Starlings.
Still, walked something like 20km yesterday and the last 8 were uphill, so not so bad.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 13 Oct, 2019 10:10 pm

Post edited by P_C_Vala , after further reflection on its relevance.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 14 Oct, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 6:11 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Also using the Bright to Omeo bus you can ask to be dropped off at Brandy Creek Fire trail head. The walk I have in mind requires a GPS, a map and compass and remote navigation down to the Cobungra River, up Paling Spur , over to Young's SEC hut . Day 2 . down the AAWT to Dibbin's Hut. Day 3 follow the Cobungra River back to the Brandy Creek Fire trail or hike up Swindler's spur to Derrick's Hut , Mt . Loch and the Mt. Hotham area . Either way you should pop out onto the Great Alpine Road in the Mt. Hotham area.Being in the right place at the right time to catch the bus back to Harrietville would be the tricky bit.
OR
You could hitch hike
or trek down the Bon Accord spur( a slog!).

A very nice walk but certainly not a beginner one as requested. PCV got himself geographically misplaced on this walk in a very remote area and ran out of water. This just as a word of caution to others reading in the future and thinking it may be a beginner option.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 7:43 am

Xplora wrote:A very nice walk but certainly not a beginner one as requested. PCV got himself geographically misplaced on this walk in a very remote area and ran out of water. This just as a word of caution to others reading in the future and thinking it may be a beginner option.

X2 I think you missed reading the subject line PCV and you were geographically embarrassed attempting this yourself.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 12:54 pm

Oh yes, you are quite right. Sorry about that chief. However I did get myself out of trouble and had quite a story to tell .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 14 Oct, 2019 1:20 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Oh yes, you are quite right. Sorry about that chief. However I did get myself out of trouble and had quite a story to tell .

:lol:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rumblepants » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 11:29 am

I ended up completing the Walk into History walk in 3 days in September. My first overnight/multi-day hike. Was quite wet but I loved it all the same.

Day 1
I caught the train to Lilydale and then the bus to East Warburton. Got off just before the turn off to the trailhead. Road walked up to the trailhead and Big Pats creek. I was running a bit late so no time to stop. I hoofed it up to Starlings gap and made it about an hour before dark. Set up camp and grabbed some water to filter from a stream just a short way back down the trail.

Day 2
Hiked from Starlings Gap to the Federal mill camp site and did the loop up the Ada Tree and around. Decided to push on to Ada 2 camp site to make the next day a touch shorter. Federal mill is a nicer camp site though.

Day 3.
Hiked from Ada 2 to Poweltown where I got picked up by a friend who lived around there. The High lead descent was the most demanding part of the trail from a beginner perspective as it was a bit muddy and covered with leaf matter which made is super slippery. My trekking poles saved me from landing on my *&%$#! many times lol.

There were loads of blow downs to scramble over or crawl under over the whole track. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I didn't see anyone for most of the hike. Saw a few people near the Ada tree and that's it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Rumble
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 1:49 pm

How were the leeches? Last time I did this I acquired 10 in the time it took me to sling my hammock.

Luckily once slung I was off the ground so the little #$%^&ers couldn't get me!
ChrisJHC

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 22 Oct, 2019 6:08 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:How were the leeches? Last time I did this I acquired 10 in the time it took me to sling my hammock.

We did it on 12th of October and there were leeches from Big Pat's to Starlings and around Starlings.
They weren't a bother, just a few got a drink and they're rather cute the way they reach out to anything they detect from their perch on a rock, grass or whatever.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rumblepants » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 12:44 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:How were the leeches? Last time I did this I acquired 10 in the time it took me to sling my hammock.

I saw a couple at both camps but they were tiny and didn't bother me. One did manage to get in my hip flask though. I found out after I took a swig and found the lil guy swiming in my mouth! :o
rumblepants
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria