'Remote' camp site with a toilet on a short walk?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

'Remote' camp site with a toilet on a short walk?

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 6:07 pm

I have a challenge... I would like to take a few bushwalking newbies with me to experience a relatively remote wilderness area where they have to carry all their gear (ie, full back pack) to a camp site that has a toilet (drop toilet is fine).

They are also not terribly fit, and will be very slow walkers. So a walk that many of us would do in 2 hours, might take them 4 hours. So a normally 3 hour walk would be close to the limit for distance.

So my criteria are (UPDATED):
  • 'remote' camp site (no hut nearby - apart from toilet block; no road nearby)
  • within easy day walk distance (1 - 3 hours for an average bush walker)
  • that has a toilet (enclosed for privacy)
  • space for about ten tents
  • not too high altitude (some of the group will not be well equipped - although we will do our best to remedy this, we can’t get expensive equipment for all of them)
  • space where teenagers can run about without trashing a sensitive environment (beaches or paddocks are good, other otherwise hard ground and/or resilient vegetation)
  • Max 3 hour car drive from Launceston (will take our bus longer, plus meal and toilet breaks)

The only suitable camp site that I can think of is Wineglass Bay. So that's a possibility, but of course would require carrying more water than usual, as there is no reliable water supply there.

Can anybody please give me any other suggestions?
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 03 Jul, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: 'Remote' camp site with a toilet on a short walk?

Postby Tortoise » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 6:18 pm

Does the Lady Lake hut area qualify as 'remote''??
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 7:04 pm

Isn't Lake Rodway remote enough? Although until the construction crew finish, it's not going to be very nice there...

Junction Creek, if they don't mind the mud? Twilight Tarn? Wughalee on the Cape Pillar track is 'orrible, but it probably qualifies. The new campsite near Lunchtime (I assume construction is completed there) is maybe just close enough. Take 'em over to Maria and walk 'em into Chinamans?
Is South Cape Bay close enough? It's an easy return daywalk for most of us, so maybe doable for your mob.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Paul » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 8:16 pm

Maybe Badgers Head to Bakers Beach would suit your requirements - 10Km one way.

Paul.
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 8:31 pm

Lake Vera. Nice toilets.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby weetbix456 » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 8:58 pm

Tasman Coastal Trail
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 9:43 pm

(deleted, replaced with subsequent post further down)
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 03 Jul, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 10:05 pm

Mt William National park.
Climb Mt William (toilet at car park), then back to the car park and continue along the track to the beach. Or skip the climb if that's too exhausting. The track to the beach is flat and has some nice wildflowers at the right time of year.

Camping is permitted in several places along the beach front, with toilets at most campsites. Walk along the beach if that is not enough.
MrWalker

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 8:57 am

I should clarify a bit... I've been asked to lead a group of school kids from diverse backgrounds on a walk to a 'remote'* 'wilderness'* location, camping in tents, and carrying all their own gear and food. So we need to be away from huts and roads and somewhere where they won't trash the place or cause too much trouble.

We plan to camp for two or three nights, so there needs to be something to do at that location (like one or two short easy day walks) and space for them to run about and play games (without trashing the area).

Yes, I know... I'm probably asking a bit much.

Last year we went to Wineglass Bay, and that worked out well. A few of us had to do a water run a few days before the camp and drop in 55 litres of water (plus the kids had to carry a couple of litres each). I'd like to avoid the need for a water drop and to find somewhere different so that we don't go to the same place every time.

* 'remote' and 'wilderness' are relative terms in this context.

I have updated the criteria in the first post.

Tortoise wrote:Does the Lady Lake hut area qualify as 'remote''??

Great location. Right sort of length walk, toilet nearby. But too sensitive for this mob. They need to be able to run around without trashing the wetlands. We will need to be able to pitch about 10 tents, and not have a hut nearby.

north-north-west wrote:Isn't Lake Rodway remote enough? Although until the construction crew finish, it's not going to be very nice there...

Junction Creek, if they don't mind the mud? Twilight Tarn? Wughalee on the Cape Pillar track is 'orrible, but it probably qualifies. The new campsite near Lunchtime (I assume construction is completed there) is maybe just close enough. Take 'em over to Maria and walk 'em into Chinamans?
Is South Cape Bay close enough? It's an easy return daywalk for most of us, so maybe doable for your mob.

Lake Rodway also has a lot going for it. But it would be pushing the distance for some of these kids, and we'd like to not have a hut nearby (well... apart from a toilet).

Junction Creek may be on the limit of the distance some of these kids could walk, but it's an interesting suggestion. I'm not sure it would match all the other criteria, but I've never stopped there - always just walked through - so I can't remember much about it - just mud, tea treas and button grass. I think I vaguely remember there being a toilet sign, but I don't think I actually saw the toilet. I'm guessing it's not an enclosed toilet, which I think we'd need.

We went to Maria Is the year before last and walked to Encampment Cove (I think that's on Chinamans Bay). So good suggestion. But, that was a bit too far - it took ALL DAY to get there (some of these kids can be SLOW!). Other than that it worked out well. But the ferry is too expensive! I don't know if we can afford to go back there.

I've never been on the Sth Coast track. Can you give me some more info on Sth Cape Bay and how it may fit the extended criteria? Although looking at the map, the distance looks about right. PWS says two hours each way (so about 4 hours each way for some of these kids). The driving distance may be a challenge, but we could camp at Cockle Creek before starting. Is there camping (with toilets) at Cockle Creek?

Paul wrote:Maybe Badgers Head to Bakers Beach would suit your requirements - 10Km one way.

We've considered this, if there was a camp site with toilets half way between it would be good. But the camp site at Bakers Beach is pretty much on a road, and too many facilities to be remote (unless there's another one I'm not familiar with?).

CBee wrote:Lake Vera. Nice toilets.

That would be awesome! But there's no way these guys would get that far. :-)

weetbix456 wrote:Tasman Coastal Trail

We have considered this one too. If there was a camp site half way along with a toilet, I reckon this would be good. It would be too far for them to do the whole thing in one day (these kids a SLOOOOW!) and the camp sites are basically next to a road and therefore not remote.

MrWalker wrote:Mt William National park.
Climb Mt William (toilet at car park), then back to the car park and continue along the track to the beach. Or skip the climb if that's too exhausting. The track to the beach is flat and has some nice wildflowers at the right time of year.

Camping is permitted in several places along the beach front, with toilets at most campsites. Walk along the beach if that is not enough.

This one is still on our list of options, but the camp sites are all pretty much on a road. And for walking, they are either too close together in some cases, or too far apart in other cases. For the long distances, there would be places to camp in between, but no toiles. :-( But we haven't ruled this one out entirely. I'm wondering if I could take shovel and dig a large drop toilet while we are there, and people can place a shovel-full back in after each use. But we'd need a tent around it for privacy issues. And maybe a seat.

Son of a Beach's wife wrote:What about Lake St Clair? Echo Point or Fergies Paddock?

(Yeah, OK so she didn't post that here, but she did say something along those lines to be last night.)

Echo Point probably doesn't have enough area to pitch that many tents, nor enough options to keep them busy for two days in the area with day walks and games.

Fergies Paddock is an interesting idea. It's too close to Cynthia Bay to be truly remote, but it is fairly well removed in that you have to walk and carry all your gear for a ~10-15 min to get there. If we did the little nature trail loop on the way, it would take about an hour, and they would have no idea that they are still so close to the bus. :-) Then as a day walk we could do Shadow Lake. There is heaps of space for them to run about at the camp site and play games. Hmmm...

Keep the ideas coming!
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 03 Jul, 2019 10:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 9:01 am

A pop up toilet could be more enticing (and remote) than your average parks poop pile. :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 9:26 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Junction Creek, if they don't mind the mud? Twilight Tarn? Wughalee on the Cape Pillar track is 'orrible, but it probably qualifies. The new campsite near Lunchtime (I assume construction is completed there) is maybe just close enough. Take 'em over to Maria and walk 'em into Chinamans?

Junction Creek may be on the limit of the distance some of these kids could walk, but it's an interesting suggestion. I'm not sure it would match all the other criteria, but I've never stopped there - always just walked through - so I can't remember much about it - just mud, tea treas and button grass. I think I vaguely remember there being a toilet sign, but I don't think I actually saw the toilet. I'm guessing it's not an enclosed toilet, which I think we'd need.

No, the dunny isn't enclosed, it's standard SW open sit-on set up, visible from the track. Enough room for all your tents if you spread out between the lower and upper sites. And plenty of potential daytrip options.
I've never been on the Sth Coast track. Can you give me some more info on Sth Cape Bay and how it may fit the extended criteria? Although looking at the map, the distance may be doable - looks flatish. How many hours for a regular adult bushwalker one way? The driving distance may be a bit much for us (from Launceston), but that wouldn't rule it out. Is there camping (with toilets) at Cockle Creek (for our first night, perhaps)?

There's heaps of free drive-in camping at Cockle Creek, a couple of short daywalks available from there, such as the Fisher Pt lightstation, and the track into South Cape Bay is - by Tasmanian standards - relatively level. The main campsite is accessed from the far end of the beach, near Lion Rock, but it has more than enough room for all your group. Total distance one way would be around 8km. It's a mix of heath, open dry forest, rainforest and coastal scrub, plus the cliffs and the beachh. The beach itself and the walk to South Cape Rivulet would keep everyone occupied for a couple of days.
We've considered this, if there was a camp site with toilets half way between it would be good. But the camp site at Bakers Beach is pretty much on a road, and too many facilities to be remote (unless there's another one I'm not familiar with?).

There's a small campsite at Copper Cove, but no dunny and not enough room for ten tents.

Bivouac Bay is a short walk from Fortescue, but I doon't think there's enough room for that many tents, and I don't recall seeing a dunny there.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks for the further info, NNW.

South Cape Bay sounds like a very attractive option to me. I would just have to convince others that it is worth the long drive. ...and to check with the ranger about taking a large-ish group in there (we have to do paperwork with PWS for these trips anyhow, if they are in national parks).

For my future reference, here are some links to PWS information on South Cap Bay:

https://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1521

...and Cockle Creek:

https://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=19219
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Wed 03 Jul, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby L_Cham_67 » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 10:49 am

Bivouac bay does have a drop toilet on site, and I remembered it as being quite a large site?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 11:35 am

L_Cham_67 wrote:Bivouac bay does have a drop toilet on site, and I remembered it as being quite a large site?

PWS information in this regard is unclear. For the Bivouac Bay walk, it mentions camp site and toilet being available at Fortescue Bay: https://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1530

But TasTrails says camping AND toilet at Bivouac Bay: https://tastrails.com/bivouac-bay/

This one says that there is toilet, but that the camp site is small: https://forkandfoot.com/bivouac-bay-hik ... -tasmania/

This page actually has a photo of the camp site: https://petediggins.wordpress.com/2018/ ... vouac-bay/ . It's not that small, but hard to tell if it's really big enough. May be a suitable contender.

Other notes: It's a very long drive (from L'ton) and camping at Fortescue Bay (before and/or after the walk) would involve some cost.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 1:51 pm

Argh! Both South Cape Bay and Bivouac Bay may have to be ruled out. I’ve spoken to some of my team mates and they say that the drive (from L’ton) is too long - in a slow bus with rest/meal/toilet stops it may take 6 hours to get to Cockle Creek. And maybe 5 hours to Fortescue Bay.

I will add this to the criteria in the first post.

So I am still all out of options, apart from Wineglass Bay, where went last year, and Fergies Paddock which is not really a long enough walk.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 8:39 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I should clarify a bit... I've been asked to lead a group of school kids from diverse backgrounds on a walk to a 'remote'* 'wilderness'* location, camping in tents, and carrying all their own gear and food. So we need to be away from huts and roads and somewhere where they won't trash the place or cause too much trouble.

If you want no hut, but a toilet, then you may have to construct your own.
I used to do orienteering years ago and it was common for the group to construct a toilet just for the day, then remove it and cover with dirt afterwards. To get the materials in you probably need to be close to a road (not necessarily visible to the walkers), or close to a beach where you can bring stuff in by boat.
MrWalker

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 10:02 am

Yes, I'd be OK to dig a bit of a pit, and carry in a seat and a tent to erect around it. There has to be privacy on the loo for this group.

But I'm not sure that digging a hole that large is possible in many places (rocks, roots, etc). It may also be unkind to the environment. But it's a possibility (eg, in sandy areas with good drainage). Eg, We could possibly do Bay of Fires this way.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dee_legg » Thu 04 Jul, 2019 10:23 am

If you are going down the route of constructing a toilet then a coastal walk on the west coast could be an option (though still a considerable drive from Lton). But walking north from Granville Harbour is stunning and I'm sure there are other similarly accessible and beautiful stretches further north.

Also, I don't know if using the Lake St Clair ferry is an option but if so then could you ferry them to Echo Point and walk back to Fergy's Paddock, spend the night then walk to the bus via the short loop? Might make the Fergy's Paddock option look a bit more attractive.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bluewombat » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 7:19 am

Wild Dog Creek in WOJ?? Might be too high and a bit sensitive, but plenty of camping platforms, nice toilet and day walk options.
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 11:44 am

bluewombat wrote:Wild Dog Creek in WOJ?? Might be too high and a bit sensitive, but plenty of camping platforms, nice toilet and day walk options.

We've considered this one, as it would be the kind of walk I'd like to take them on. It's getting towards the limit of the length/difficulty we could do, but I think it would be within range.

However we've ruled it out for now simply because we can't make sure they are well-equipped enough for that altitude. Hopefully one day (ha! 'one day') we will have enough spare gear to lend out to make this feasible, as I reckon this is the ideal location apart from this one issue.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Graham51 » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 3:51 pm

Probably too far to travel in the bus but South Cape Bay/Lion Rock would be ideal.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby 1iron » Sat 06 Jul, 2019 2:52 pm

What about Cooks Beach or is the walk too far. Has the required facilities and a great beach.
1iron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MrWalker » Sat 06 Jul, 2019 3:13 pm

Is this a totally different group from last year? If it is a different group each time then you could make it an annual event at Cooks beach. It seems to have all teh features you need, including emergency evacuation by boat if there are minor injuries.
MrWalker

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 2:30 pm

Cooks Beach is a good suggestion but a little beyond the distance for this group. In fact the first time this camp was done (the year before I got involved), they were aiming for Cooks Beach, but ended up getting as far as Hazards Beach in a howling wind and decided to pop over to Wineglass Bay and camped there instead because it was more sheltered.

They also figured that Cooks was stretching it a bit for this group.

I did Cooks Beach with my kids when they were about 6 or 8 years old. They took 7.5 hours. I reckon that some of the kids in this group would be about as slow or possibly even slower than my kids when they were 6-8.

Wineglass Bay is just that little bit shorter and a nicer outlook.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 3:01 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
bluewombat wrote:Wild Dog Creek in WOJ?? Might be too high and a bit sensitive, but plenty of camping platforms, nice toilet and day walk options.

We've considered this one, as it would be the kind of walk I'd like to take them on. It's getting towards the limit of the length/difficulty we could do, but I think it would be within range.

However we've ruled it out for now simply because we can't make sure they are well-equipped enough for that altitude. Hopefully one day (ha! 'one day') we will have enough spare gear to lend out to make this feasible, as I reckon this is the ideal location apart from this one issue.

Wild Dog Creek was my thinking also, limitations acknowledged. What season are you planning to do this walk? If in summer the altitude related issues "may" be less of a worry (noting that I have had wild weather and snow up there in Dec-Jan, though not too cold). Assuming you are taking 3 season sleeping bags regardless of location, basic rain jackets and thermals might be enough? A stop at Trappers Hut on the way up and probably again at Solomons Jewels would help break up the distance for them. And there is boardwalk through the sensitive stuff on some side trips.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sun 07 Jul, 2019 3:53 pm

dee_legg wrote:If you are going down the route of constructing a toilet then a coastal walk on the west coast could be an option (though still a considerable drive from Lton). But walking north from Granville Harbour is stunning and I'm sure there are other similarly accessible and beautiful stretches further north.

I was thinking about this. From Temma to Ordnance Point should be doable, there's heaps of room there for campers, stunning coastline, plenty to do, and places to stop earlier if they're going too slow (such as Gannet Point). But no toilets unless you dig/build your own - which wouldn't be that difficult given the relatively sandy soil.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 7:53 am

The only other option I can think of is Skullbone Plains - you don't have to be driven all the way in, after all. Depends how much TLC charge for camping there, but they might be generous for a school group.

There aren't a lot of toilets away from vehicle access points in Tassie; a few tracks have them, but most of those are near huts.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 1:14 pm

Tour groups use WDC, it may not be the most pleasant remote experience if the timing is wrong.
Lots going on at Freycinet, a new 'shared use trail', a north WGB toilet. 'Remote' is a precious commodity (p.s maybe theyv'e added tanks?)

Toilet frame / baggy, carry one for the team, it doesn't need to be a big deal, how much can they produce? :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Sophiedoph » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 7:39 pm

I would add a plug for bivouac. Definitely us a loo - I took my three kids there last month and my very slow 6yr old did it in 3 hrs. No hut- big, hardy camp site and you can walk further towards waterfall bay on the middle day..?!
Sophiedoph
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Taiti » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 1:48 pm

If I could randomly throw in my 2c.
Is it appropriate to be looking to dig a trench for a large group inside a national park or other reserve?
Given there's not many examples of places with toilets but no hut nearby, and you've already got some practice in carting water, would you consider using a couple of shower tents and a few buckets (with good lids) to cart all of your group's waste back out in true practice of the leave-no-trace ideal?
Taiti
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to Tasmania