Mount Victoria to Blackheath

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby Bush_walker » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi,
I am planning to go for this walk (solo) from Mount Victoria to Blackheath, and planning the camp at “Acacia Flats”.
Is this a clear and marked track and easy to find the track or some part require Really GPS/Navigation skills and is there may require Bush Bashing?
I am taking a Garmin GPS and I phone, already downloaded GPX files using Gia Map. I was going through Wild Walk notes and looks not to hard to find the walking track.
Thanks in advance for suggestion and information.
Naj
Attachments
blackheath-to-mount-victoria-via-grose-valley.gpx
(85.77 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: New South Wales

Re: Mount Victoria to Blackheath

Postby TobyLey » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 8:40 am

It's reasonably well defined from memory, not too many side tracks or junctions to confuse it with either
TobyLey
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jonnosan » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 9:01 am

yes I agree with TobyLey, tracks are all quite distinct and there are signs at all the junctions.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby LachlanB » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 9:13 am

I haven't been down there for ages, but yep, nice walking.

One suggestion I would make if you choose the route through Blackheath rather than going through the Grand Canyon, would be to swing north and use the Popes Glen Track. It's quite a pretty walk, isn't far out of your way, and gets you into central Blackheath with a minimum walking along roads.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 8:49 pm

No bush bashing required. Route is straight forward... Have to cross the creek at Burra korain campsite, which is obvious when you see it but can be confusing if you don't. If that makes sense.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 9:39 pm

jonnosan wrote:yes I agree with TobyLey, tracks are all quite distinct and there are signs at all the junctions.

I wouldn't entirely agree. Tracks are distinct if you are an experienced walker in the Bluies. If not then tracks are mostly OK, but are vague in a few places, particularly around creek crossings. Places I can think of that are not signed, or badly signed, are Burra Korain (as mentioned by Walk_fat boy_walk), Junction Rock and the Pierces Pass junction. Also the creek crossing of Victoria Creek, and some of the parts of Rodriguez Pass below the Grand Canyon, though if you are heading upstream, it is probably a bit easier.

You probably won't go too far wrong, but you can waste time and possibly go astray. A GPS or map/compass navigation skills are unlikely to help at the critical junctures, since it's just about dealing with finding the route, and avoiding false tracks.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 4:14 pm

Did this walk again recently. It one of my favorites and a great one to take friends who dont like scrub.

Agree its a straight forward walk if you are a reasonable navigator but there are a few spots where multiple trails have formed due to walkers missing the main track. Be careful not to under estimate the time it takes if your trying to do it as an overnighter.

I would definitely recommend doing Popes Glen/govetts leap instead of Rodriguez Pass. Rodriguez Pass is indistinct at times especially in the upper section of greaves creek.

The trail was clearer than when I did it a year ago. Perhaps increased traffic and dry weather limiting plant growth over the track.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bush_walker » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 7:18 am

Hi, Thanks for everyone's response and feedback.
I copy all the suggestions and post my experience after this walk which I am planing to go in early August.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bush_walker » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 8:05 am

Hi,
pls can someone provide me the walking direction from Mt Victoria Station to Victoria falls Rd, Mt Victoria.
The walking path google shows it goes through Great western hwy and I am sure some part is not allowed for pedestrian to walk.
I am planning this Saturday I will park my car at Blackheath station ( at the end of walk will be easy to drive back home) take the train and walk up to end for Victoria falls rd and then follow the track.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 12:14 pm

Bush_walker wrote:Hi,
pls can someone provide me the walking direction from Mt Victoria Station to Victoria falls Rd, Mt Victoria.
The walking path google shows it goes through Great western hwy and I am sure some part is not allowed for pedestrian to walk.
I am planning this Saturday I will park my car at Blackheath station ( at the end of walk will be easy to drive back home) take the train and walk up to end for Victoria falls rd and then follow the track.

Great trip.

From Mt Vic. You do need to walk beside the highway and cross at a couple of points. Biggest danger is the trucks and cars moving at speed when your crossing

From the station walk up station street and connect to harley ave and then to the highway.

Once at the highway there is a footpad/grass on the train station side. Follow it to just before the bridge and then you need to cross to the other side (a footpath begins at this point on the other side) walk along this and use the footbridge to cross the ravine/rail line (dont use the vehicle bridge).

Past the footbridge there is a wide track that parallels the highway. follow for about 100-150m until it joins back up with the highway. You should see Victoria falls Rd across the highway to your left (slightly back towards Mt Vic town). Cross carefully. Note. Vic Falls Rd is a dirt road/graded firetrail.

If you don’t already have one, you can pick up a free loan PLB from Blackheath national parks office. (and return it on your way back).

Are you doing the trip as a overnight or a 2 night? Up Govetts leap?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rustyjus » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 12:27 pm

I did this walk last weekend over 1 night..

There are dozens of beautiful swimming holes, it would be great one to so in spring.

The trail was a little overgrown but straight forward just keep the creeks on your left...

We camped at acacia flats but there we heaps of camping spots along the way,

If I were going to do it again Id camp the night at little blue gum, its just over the halfway point.

Little blue gum is quite open with wild grass and tall gums near the creek while catching the afternoon sun down the canyon..
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 12:48 pm

rustyjus wrote:I did this walk last weekend over 1 night..

There are dozens of beautiful swimming holes, it would be great one to so in spring.

The trail was a little overgrown but straight forward just keep the creeks on your left...

If I were going to do it again Id camp the night at little blue gum, its just over the halfway point.

Little blue gum is quite open with wild grass and tall gums near the creek while catching the afternoon sun down the canyon..

Only issue with little blue gum is lack of immediate source of water. You can cross the Grose R near this point and fill up from banks gully. or carry water from crayfish creek etc. If your camping at little blue gum please use existing firepits/scars.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bush_walker » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 2:15 pm

wildwanderer wrote:

Great trip.

From Mt Vic. You do need to walk beside the highway and cross at a couple of points. Biggest danger is the trucks and cars moving at speed when your crossing

From the station walk up station street and connect to harley ave and then to the highway.

Once at the highway there is a footpad/grass on the train station side. Follow it to just before the bridge and then you need to cross to the other side (a footpath begins at this point on the other side) walk along this and use the footbridge to cross the ravine/rail line (dont use the vehicle bridge).

Past the footbridge there is a wide track that parallels the highway. follow for about 100-150m until it joins back up with the highway. You should see Victoria falls Rd across the highway to your left (slightly back towards Mt Vic town). Cross carefully. Note. Vic Falls Rd is a dirt road/graded firetrail.

If you don’t already have one, you can pick up a free loan PLB from Blackheath national parks office. (and return it on your way back).

Hi, Thanks for all the info, yes I am planing over night and plan to camp at Acacia flat, but will consider some other location as well suggested below.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bush_walker » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 2:17 pm

wildwanderer wrote:

Only issue with little blue gum is lack of immediate source of water. You can cross the Grose R near this point and fill up from banks gully. or carry water from crayfish creek etc. If your camping at little blue gum please use existing firepits/scars.

What is the best location to collect the water, and do I need to treat or what pls suggest.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bush_walker » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 2:20 pm

wildwanderer wrote:

Great trip.

And yes I have a PLB, usually I take one with me :) and I may be do not need to walk as someone might join me (still in progress) and will drive at Victoria falls look out. is there any suggestion for car park?
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rustyjus » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 3:22 pm

I walked from the station ... probably want to get the first or second train from Sydney to have enough time to do it in a day.

If driving I would consider leaving my car in black heath (since you'll be popping out there) and catching a taxi to the trail rather than leaving your car in the bush.

We carried our water since it was overnight and weren't sure about small side creeks as we have been drought... but it turns out there they we all flowing.
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 5:16 pm

Bush_walker wrote:
wildwanderer wrote:

What is the best location to collect the water, and do I need to treat or what pls suggest.

on the south side of the Grose along the track between Mt Victoria and Blackheath you can get water at crayfish and orangutan creeks. (should be fine untreated). I wouldnt drink from the grose river due to metal contamination (but some do). All other sources I would treat/filter.. but some are happy not to. Its your personal choice.

If your camping at Acacia Flat, then get water from orangutan creek. (under 10 mins walk along track to junction rock/govetts leap).Alternatively if you have a water filter/purification tablets then taking water from Govetts Creek would be ok. I can confirm crayfish and orangutan creeks had ample water (about 3 weeks ago)

Re parking at end of victoria falls rd fire trail. I wouldnt leave an expensive car or anything valuable inside a car left at the carpark at Victoria Falls lookout. There is alot of day walker car traffic and backpackers who drive out there.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bush_walker » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi, Thanks for all info.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lou10 » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 8:20 pm

Just did this one.
Great walk and amazing scenery, did it in two days from Sydney and used a topo map on my phone and the WildWalks track notes.
Their directions are good, but possibly a little outdated.
It says parts are 'well signposted' but there are very few signs after Victoria falls, and Burra Korain flats/campground isn't signposted until crossing the creek where a sign has been tied up in the tree.
The track is overgrown and there are lots of fallen trees, with quite a few bogus paths made by lost hikers, and creek crossings are unmarked in the Burra Korain area. When you reach a campsite by the river after Victoria Falls, follow the path to the water and cross over to get to the main Burra Korain camping area (you follow the path and cross the water again to continue).
After the Blue Gum Forest and Acacia Flats (day 2) the path and signage greatly improves and it's much more straightforward. Lots of good camping spots at Acacia Flats.
At junction rock heading to Evan's Lookout via the Horse Track rather than straight to Govett's Leap is a nice extension too if you have the time with some amazing views.
It's a great walk but you come prepared and have some experience, hopefully these notes help!
lou10
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rcaffin » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 6:32 pm

We parked one car at Govetts Leap and the other at the end of the Victoria Falls Lookout (dirt) road.
The walk itself was just one full day with light day packs.

Alternately, park at Govetts Leap and pre-arrange a taxi to the VF lookout.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 16 Sep, 2019 10:06 am

I did it in 2 Days. Mt Vic to Govetts Leap via Perry's Lookdown.

Nothing more than eyes and 'maps.me' on an iphone was used for navigation.

Some random notes.
Original Burra Korain campsite is closed .. signs saying it is closed at the site but no information that the the new site is 100 meters further on. (New data is now in OSM so apps should get it in the next up date.)

In order:
Track is hard to see just leaving Burra Korain campsite.

Track has a wash away steep down hill bit with dead trees as a aid .. with a dirt bypass

Numerous campsites are avalible before Acacia Flat. Official or not.. some of these have fire places with wood ... As there are no signs at Mt Vic entry that ban camp fires people will use them. Only when you get to the 4 way junction of Perrys track, Shortridge Pass and Blue Gum tracks is there a sign (abused) warning of no camp fires, fines, fuel stoves only.

The vine growth on the latter part of day 1 is off putting. Only 1 person seen, a day walker to Victoria falls?

Day 2. Opted for Perrys as we not done it before. Nice. A few step risers are ~ 0.6 metres so you need to stretch. Forgot about the road bits and they were soon over anyway. Not many people <20 all up while walking. At least one bus load of school kids at Govets Leap + other tourists.

-----------------------
I have looked at walking from Mt Vic Station. I'd cross the main highway using the traffic lights at Station St. this saves one crossing of the highway later. Then follow the footpath/cycleway untill you cross the railway line and than follow the instruction someone gave above.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 16 Sep, 2019 1:56 pm

Warin wrote:Original Burra Korain campsite is closed .. signs saying it is closed at the site but no information that the the new site is 100 meters further on. (New data is now in OSM so apps should get it in the next up date.)

When you say 100 metres further on are you referring to the site on other side of victoria creek?

Edited my rant until clarification of new site :mrgreen:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 16 Sep, 2019 5:18 pm

wildwanderer wrote:
Warin wrote:Original Burra Korain campsite is closed .. signs saying it is closed at the site but no information that the the new site is 100 meters further on. (New data is now in OSM so apps should get it in the next up date.)

When you say 100 metres further on are you referring to the site on other side of victoria creek?

:lol: Yep, northern side of Victoria Creek, southern side of Grose River, very near the confluence. The one on the southern side west 100 meters has 2 signs saying it is closed, and one bucket hanging in a tree. I think the bucket could move on to the other camp site...

Other thing of note .. part way along Perrys there is a very nice spot for a picnic ... no tables but chairs from logs and a seat.. very pleasant. And no I did not mark it with a GPS or distance .. :oops:

{edit - I checked .. that picnic spot is already in OSM.. my map reader did not pick it up. (needs more training .. or a pouch to keep his ipone in that is easier to access :D )}
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT