Lady Lake Hut Update

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lady Lake Hut Update

Postby GemTux » Thu 06 Jun, 2019 10:17 am

Hi All,

I am looking to take my husband and two year old on our first overnight hike together. 2yo has done many day hikes in his back pack of varying lengths, and i thought that Lady Lake Hut might be a good introduction - a short hike and staying in the hut so we don't have to pack too much kit.

I haven't been there myself and i noticed on this forum last year there was some updates on the stove and heating in the hut, so i thought i would check in for any current updates or reports.

I am new to the forum and look forward to your wisdom and advice :)

Thanks
GemTux
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lady Lake Hut Update

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 07 Jun, 2019 8:49 am

It's a great hut for this sort of thing. 1-2 hour walk in. It's quite steep the entire way though.

What time of year would you be going? Be prepared to be VERY cold, even if you run the heater. The heater does not warm up the hut. You can stand around it and warm up your hands, but I found it to be not very effective. If you are going in winter, you need to be very well prepared, as it's moderately high altitude.

The stove there is very good if it is in working order. It is quite old, and usually one of the burners/knobs doesn't work. I would never count on it 100% and always bring my own. But I'll use the stove there most times, as it is just so good.

There is one spot on the track where people sometimes lose their way. The track does a hair-pin turn to the left, but a lot of people go straight ahead out onto the scree. It's worth going out onto the scree for a rest stop anyhow... nice view from there. But keep an eye out for this spot where the track turns sharp left but there looks like a bit of a foot pad going straight ahead.

I love the Lady Lake hut. My kids love it too. They have walked up there a couple of times now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby GemTux » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Son of a Beach,
Thanks for the message! Hmmm excellent to know re: the stove I was counting on it being a source of warmth for us.... Was hoping to go end of July or August, it might still be a little cold for a year old??
GemTux
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby teak » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 3:42 pm

I would suggest the Sandy Lake hut at Lake Mackenzie as it is a short walk from the boat ramp at Lake Mackenzie. The hut has a wood heater for warmth but I don't know if is suitable for cooking. The walk to the hut is level but rough with some rock hopping around the northern side of Lake Mackenzie, if the lake level is low it is possible to walk across a spit of land straight to the hut.
Attachments
DSCN0883.jpg
This photo is during construction the roof is now shingle.
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rabid K9 » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 11:42 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:It's a great hut for this sort of thing. 1-2 hour walk in. It's quite steep the entire way though.

What time of year would you be going? Be prepared to be VERY cold, even if you run the heater. The heater does not warm up the hut. You can stand around it and warm up your hands, but I found it to be not very effective. If you are going in winter, you need to be very well prepared, as it's moderately high altitude.

The stove there is very good if it is in working order. It is quite old, and usually one of the burners/knobs doesn't work. I would never count on it 100% and always bring my own. But I'll use the stove there most times, as it is just so good.

There is one spot on the track where people sometimes lose their way. The track does a hair-pin turn to the left, but a lot of people go straight ahead out onto the scree. It's worth going out onto the scree for a rest stop anyhow... nice view from there. But keep an eye out for this spot where the track turns sharp left but there looks like a bit of a foot pad going straight ahead.

I love the Lady Lake hut. My kids love it too. They have walked up there a couple of times now.

Second that - the metho heater is very ineffective at warming the hut or persons inside. Was there during a May snowfall. Very chilly, tent would have much warmer. But lovely hut & setting.

The Lees paddocks huts are also in very beautiful location, lower altitude, lots more protected for little ones.
Rabid K9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 9:24 am

GemTux wrote:Hi Son of a Beach,
Thanks for the message! Hmmm excellent to know re: the stove I was counting on it being a source of warmth for us.... Was hoping to go end of July or August, it might still be a little cold for a year old??

I took my kids on a few walks as ~1yo. I would not take them to Lady Lake in Winter though. Sure it could be done, but I don't think it would be any fun for them, and you may spend most of the time freezing yourself, and worrying that your little one may not be able to keep warm enough. I think save that for a warmer time of year and/or when they are a bit older.

I highly recommend the "BP Lodge" scout hut at Cradle Mtn for a great winter walk with kids. It can still get quite cold in that hut, but the gas heater is fairly good. Plus you have a fully equipped kitchen, flushing toilet, etc. You have to pay to hire the hut, but it's not expensive and is VERY worthwhile. We carried two kids (2 years old and 4 months old) up there the first time we did it. Portable cot for the two year old to sleep in, and a down jacket as a sleeping bag for the baby. The worst part of it was carrying out 3 days worth of dirty nappies for two kids. :-) We have been up there a few times since then, and the kids just love it (they also love Lady Lake!).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Sophiedoph » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for all the great info here people! I’ve done lady lake and was thinking to take my daughters there next week but am rethinking after reading this and other posts. I’m wondering if anyone has more info on the Lees Paddocks or Sandy Lake huts? I can’t find anything much and would like to be confident if we set out to one of these!

I’m interested in more info on the walk in -
Particularly how easy to find/follow they are. Also interested in whether there is fuel in the huts and what other equipment there may be.

I’m a confident walker and have done lots of the Tassie tracks but not heaps with my kids as yet.

Thanks for any tips!!

Soph.
Last edited by Sophiedoph on Fri 12 Jul, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophiedoph
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 8:42 am

You need to get permission from the owners to overnight at Lees Paddocks, particularly if using the hut. Hut has a closed wood burner (made from a beer keg) which is pretty effective and there is usually a store of firewood in the rear, but make sure you replace any wood you use. Mattresses on the bunks are big slabs of foam - make sure they're left upright when you leave.
The track in is a roughish old vehicle track, with a number of creek crossings. Some of these can get very slippery. A fair few detours for fallen timber both old and new, but it's hard to get lost. Easily doable for kids if you go slow. Falls on the way in are worth visiting.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Sophiedoph » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks North-north-west. Might save this one to explore solo first- want something reliable and not quite so remote and not convinced from your info. Great info- ta!
Sophiedoph
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hot073 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:16 pm

I’ve just had a couple of nights at Lady Lake Hut in deep snow,it’s a brilliant hut!
The lake is semi frozen right now and the area has a good cover of snow.
The track has had a recent addition of a boardwalk and track realignment towards the top of track!
Agree that the heater doesn’t heat the hut but does take the edge off,make sure you take bottles of metho for the heater/stove.
Was roughly -2 outside and the heater doesn’t heat the hut inside much past 8 degrees.
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GemTux » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 12:10 pm

teak wrote:I would suggest the Sandy Lake hut at Lake Mackenzie as it is a short walk from the boat ramp at Lake Mackenzie. The hut has a wood heater for warmth but I don't know if is suitable for cooking. The walk to the hut is level but rough with some rock hopping around the northern side of Lake Mackenzie, if the lake level is low it is possible to walk across a spit of land straight to the hut.

Thanks - for the advice - I will look up this one :)
GemTux
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GemTux » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 12:12 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
GemTux wrote:Hi Son of a Beach,

I took my kids on a few walks as ~1yo. I would not take them to Lady Lake in Winter though. Sure it could be done, but I don't think it would be any fun for them, and you may spend most of the time freezing yourself, and worrying that your little one may not be able to keep warm enough. I think save that for a warmer time of year and/or when they are a bit older.

I highly recommend the "BP Lodge" scout hut at Cradle Mtn for a great winter walk with kids. It can still get quite cold in that hut, but the gas heater is fairly good. Plus you have a fully equipped kitchen, flushing toilet, etc. You have to pay to hire the hut, but it's not expensive and is VERY worthwhile. We carried two kids (2 years old and 4 months old) up there the first time we did it. Portable cot for the two year old to sleep in, and a down jacket as a sleeping bag for the baby. The worst part of it was carrying out 3 days worth of dirty nappies for two kids. :-) We have been up there a few times since then, and the kids just love it (they also love Lady Lake!).

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check that one out... sounds more feasible!
GemTux
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GemTux » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 12:35 pm

Sophiedoph wrote:Thanks North-north-west. Might save this one to explore solo first- want something reliable and not quite so remote and not convinced from your info. Great info- ta!

Hi Sophiedoph,

Did you get any more information on this one? Or get out there yet?

Cheers
GemTux
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GemTux » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 12:37 pm

Hot073 wrote:I’ve just had a couple of nights at Lady Lake Hut in deep snow,it’s a brilliant hut!
The lake is semi frozen right now and the area has a good cover of snow.
The track has had a recent addition of a boardwalk and track realignment towards the top of track!
Agree that the heater doesn’t heat the hut but does take the edge off,make sure you take bottles of metho for the heater/stove.
Was roughly -2 outside and the heater doesn’t heat the hut inside much past 8 degrees.

Thanks for the update - i saw a lot of photos flying around about that time - the snow looked gorgeous. I reckon you all might be right though - maybe not quite warm enough for a 2 year old :)
GemTux
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 9:50 am

Hope it's OK to post this here.

We're planning an overnighter up to the hut at the end of March with a few kids. Hopefully there'll be a bit of rain before we go to ensure the water tank is full. Does it ever dry out? My other question is whether it'd be easy enough to pitch a tent nearby if the hut is full? I'm pretty sure it would be. Is there a designated spot for tents or do you just find somewhere suitable nearby?

Thanks
WestcoastPete
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 11:49 am

There's no designated campsite. Area closest to the hut tends to be a bit wet. I found better camping a little to the north, closer to the lake.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 14 Feb, 2022 12:55 pm

Yeah, camping in tents is not great near the hut (the whole area is basically a swamp).

There is never a problem with water there, as there is a creek nearby that (as far as I know) is always flowing. I'm sure the tank would get empty occasionally towards the end of summer, but can't confirm this as fact from experience.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania