Social Media promotes camping in the Cradle Mt Day Use area?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Social Media promotes camping in the Cradle Mt Day Use a

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 3:16 pm

Plenty of other peaks around to camp on. Doesn't seem a big deal to me to just obey the rules for these one surely??
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby TentPeg » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks Warin

Its interesting how many people argue against the introduction of rules and then when they are in there are many people who argue about any changes to those rules. And those who may be prepared to modify rules want to make it as hard as possible for anyone following.

Anyway, as I have noted earlier I have no particular interest in the subject, so I will leave the conversation now.

Cheers all
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 9:01 am

I think the social media thing is a bit of a red herring in this issue. Yes, it is a very significant part of the problem, but it has only exaggerated an issue that already existed. The day-use-only rules were in place before internet social media was a phenomenon.

If camping were permitted in the day-use area, then there would be the potential for many people who would walk a very short distance (eg to the Cradle plateau or to the Cradle summit) and camp there. Simply because they want to camp in a beautiful location, but they don't want to walk a full day to do so.

This kind of thinking is reasonable and fine - most of the time. But in a location that is overburdened with tourists, the number of campers would end up being unmanageable and would not only damage the environment, but also ruin the experience for many of the walkers who don't want to stumble on camp sites around every nook and cranny along the way.

Yes, one or two people may be able to do so responsibly, and even to find locations where their numbers would be small enough to not damage the environment. But the only reasonable way to make a regulation that has any hope of working, is to make a blanket ban.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 11:07 am

Yes. As much for concerns of reasonable people loving to death rather than lowest common etc. And to add that it is probably as much a rule reinforced by guides and local walkers and a tenuous, precious attitude as it is rangers with fine chits.

That said, commonsense isn't off the hook.. it's actually an unfortunate and poor option to need such rules. Experienced or not, If the lovers-to-death crowd applied their consideration to what the rules are trying to achieve (or what they see before them) and acted on it, in an ideal world, there would be no need for the actual rules. Especially, less need to extend rules for the many other places or activities that could do with them... eg. I find it hard to see posting photo's of camping on Mt. Ossa as not ignoring some level of consideration that we can't all camp there (even if all campers were precious about minimal impact camping).

Alternatively :) , why not celebrate the fact that we have places set aside from us. Maybe we could set aside a mountain that nobody climbs.. y'know, as a testament to first world conservation achievement and a message hinting at necessary forethought, progress even?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Al M » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 2:31 am

The other reason not to camp in such areas is over time the amount of extra human waste (pees, wees and poo with toilet paper and rubbish lying around) affects the nutrient levels in the lake, water quality suffers and visually harms the area. With too many people doing this it jut simply stinks and you spoil it for everyone else. The areas environment just can’t handle it.
Last edited by Al M on Tue 25 Jun, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby bushwalker zane » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 7:46 am

Al M wrote:The other reason not to camp in such areas is over time the amount of extra human waste (pees, weeks and poo with toilet paper and rubbish lying around) affects the nutrient levels in the lake, water quality suffers and visually harms the area. With too many people doing this it jut simply stinks and you spoil it for everyone else. The areas environment just can’t handle it.

This is one of many reasons. However, it unfortunately hasn't stopped people anyway. The clearing next to the Ranger hut up near Little Horn was disgusting last time I was up there. And people use wet wipes instead of loo roll. Wet wipes are made of plastics, and contrary to what a lot of packaging says, do not break down in water (i.e used in a toilet).
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bushwalker zane » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 4:56 am

https://youtu.be/iNrg4tXPWCA

Here's an interesting video by REI about this issue.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wollemi » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 1:53 pm

This is a very interesting thread - with all posts seemingly prompting my thinking.
Some random thoughts;
- I have hearing loss and do not always hear drones that others hear before they are seen.
- Comment is made of drone with high-pitch noise. I perceive drones to be more "pleasant" 'drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr', rather than what I perceive to be high pitch - 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeee'. I hear both when riding in helicopters (ironically into declared wilderness and WHA when volunteering on several occasions for Parks Service in NSW and Tasmania).
- I have a fledgling photography business. To stay on top of the game, my two course providers urged students to learn new technologies, or you will be left behind. This included drone photography... everywhere and anywhere, within law.
- I have walked in darkness to high areas to watch sunrise. I have taken a sleeping bag to have a sleep afterwards, as we have gotten up at 3am to be there - and needed that sleep, or we may well have stumbled and tripped on our way down. It may be perceived by others that saw us, that we camped on top.
- I have carried out my solid body waste in a dedicated S2S dry bag on bushwalks (including from the top of Mt Jagungal in Kosciuszko NP, 3 days before bushfire hit the area hard... my effort in that case was not really necessary, but we were not to know). I have carried out such waste camping/bivying by my sea-kayak on tiny Sydney Harbour beaches, knowing camping is probably not allowed, and wanted to reduce my ecological footprint and any criticism.
- One person here appears disappointed by pee on the ground - admittedly near lakes. Happens on day walks, too. I have carried wide-mouth bottles of urine away from sensitive areas to discard the fluid further along off to the side of the track. How many ice-climbers are taking a slash on the flanks of Blue Lake in Kosiuszko - yet camp outside of the 5 glacial lake catchments. Everyone voids immediately outside - and above - while suiting-up before caving... and caves are said to be amongst the most sensitive of areas
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby CBee » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 3:15 pm

Is the amount of people doing a given activity that determines whatever this activity can be sustainable over time. When bushwalking/hiking and camping becomes mainstream and worst, touristic, without the proper prior education of the public or infrastructure, the damage to the outdoor may take years to heal.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Krunel » Wed 11 Sep, 2019 8:29 pm

Wanting to camp in sensitive areas that have high visitor numbers is clueless. Perfect example of why these places are being trashed. That's why the restrictions are needed. Choose a lessor visited mountain. More importantly: educate yourself about minimal impact practices beforehand. Enjoy and respect the outdoors and be aware of the impact you have.
Krunel
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Tasmania