Price rises (and falls) for National Parks passes

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Price rises (and falls) for National Parks passes

Postby bumpingbill » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 11:14 am

Parks has released new pricing for parks passes.

Seems to be hoping that it'll bring in $3million/year more. But there are reductions for the 1 and 2 year passes that locals use.

What are everyone's thoughts?

https://parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?sys ... intID=3927

parks_passes.png
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Price rises (and falls) for National Parks passes

Postby north-north-west » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 1:23 pm

Might discourage a small number of drive-by visits, but the majority of interstate and longer term overseas visitors get holiday passes and that's not a massive increase, so I doubt it will have any overall affect on numbers. Saves me a few dollars, especially as I'm now eligible for the seniors pass.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 1:40 pm

For seniors a holiday pass is more expensive than a yearly pass (Seniors Annual All Parks) ...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 2:41 pm

For the past few years I have purchased a Seniors 2 year pass but this year I got a free Seniors pass - looks like they are no more. The 2 year pass was about the same cost as I would have paid using the tourist pass but now it will be a considerable savings with 2 or 3 trips each two years.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby stepbystep » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 1:38 pm

A vote buying/revenue raising exercise. They need to pay for the Cradle Mountain Disneyland Experience somehow while pretending they are putting locals first. Still, I’ll save a few dollars. Huzzah!
Last edited by stepbystep on Mon 12 Aug, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Martin » Sun 11 Aug, 2019 4:15 pm

Pretty significant increase for the Holiday Vehicle pass (+33%)

It does seem slightly odd that the Two Year All Parks pass is now also the best option for an interstate visitor who makes a single trip annually.

Of course, it's good value (for me) whatever the price.
Martin
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby Nuts » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 2:28 pm

Would be nice to see funding increases linked to outcomes, or money allocated to specific projects. I'd be happy for a similar increase to substitute for private infrastructure (we'd actually need the sums done*.. but could likely call that a day). I'd be happy for another 3mil to fund fire management. Another 3mil for progress in waste management. Yet another for walker education and minimal impact.. and so on.. the point being to keep going, the full monty of parks funding from increasing tourism, not just the bare tip of a toenail. As, while ever these things all need attention, the wilderness is being sold too cheaply?

PS. which probably boils down to a lack of trust.. a cost for everything, here a lifetime of distrust built from the lack of consultation and transparency (which probably isn't recent, but was relatively rarely needed)

*first & overarching, we obviously need to see a measurement of wilderness value, before it can be spent.

And, on the other hand, why pensioners only? It's appropriate to give further concessions for low income earners generally and even some designated state sport and rec $, or that earmarked for the health budget, surely this funding could offset the cost for local access (in some creative way)?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania