Collinsvale Walks

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Collinsvale Walks

Postby hutfinder » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 11:07 am

Hey there! Just wondering if there was any way to access Wellington Park, besides the Myrtle forest Road picnic area, without disturbing private property? I notice the East West Fire Trail runs behind the hills, so was wondering if there was a better place to join it in Collinsvale, or Glenlusk? Maybe off the Zig Zag track?

*edit I can see that there is a Mount Hull Trail, but it appears to cross through private land - has anyone walked this recently?

Any other lesser known walks in the area would be good to know about too :D
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Collinsvale Walks

Postby stepbystep » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 4:53 pm

Howdy, given you're a 'hufinder' I'm assuming you've been to the ruins on Mt Patrick? Ruins are near the summit just off the pad. Quickest access is off Jeffrey's Track in the Lachlan Valley or you can go from Collinsvale. Very snakey in summer though. There's a track off Nichols Rd also called the Glen Dhu trail. I've never walked it though.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pazzar » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 1:27 pm

Zig-Zag is probably the quickest way up, but it isn't overly inspiring - it just goes up under the transmission lines. Much prefer going up Dooleys FT from Rosetta.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jwalker » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 6:26 pm

stepbystep wrote:Howdy, given you're a 'hufinder' I'm assuming you've been to the ruins on Mt Patrick? Ruins are near the summit just off the pad. Quickest access is off Jeffrey's Track in the Lachlan Valley or you can go from Collinsvale. Very snakey in summer though. There's a track off Nichols Rd also called the Glen Dhu trail. I've never walked it though.

I climbed Mt Patrick late last year and noticed the ruins. Any idea of their history?
jwalker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hutfinder » Mon 19 Aug, 2019 10:05 am

stepbystep wrote:Howdy, given you're a 'hufinder' I'm assuming you've been to the ruins on Mt Patrick? Ruins are near the summit just off the pad. Quickest access is off Jeffrey's Track in the Lachlan Valley or you can go from Collinsvale. Very snakey in summer though. There's a track off Nichols Rd also called the Glen Dhu trail. I've never walked it though.

I have indeed! Not off Nichols though, I was curious about walking in Via Suhrs road, but the Wellington Park site said access has been temporarily closed, due to negotiations with the private property owner https://www.wellingtonpark.org.au/news/ ... y-closure/

It is indeed looking like Zig Zag might be the best access, or the Mt Hull trail, assuming access is still ok there?
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania