Anyone feel the effects of the wind last night?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Anyone feel the effects of the wind last night?

Postby Andy » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 7:26 am

Other than our trash being scattered all over the front lawn, nothing too bad happened to us. I heard about one of my sisters friends roof being affected. Anyone else?
Andy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Anyone feel the effects of the wind last night?

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 8:00 am

At Rosevears, our power was off from about 6:20pm to 12:05 am. A friend over in Legana had a tree fall over and take part of the roof off their garage.

At work this morning, various people tell me they had power failures for exactly the same time period as us, and others had no significant power interruptions. The mix of suburbs that were with/without power is really wierd. I don't understand how our grid is layed out in such a strangely mixed distribution.

Evandale, Longford, Trevallyn, Rosevears, parts of Newnham were all out.

Kings Meadows, Legana, Dilston, other parts of Newnham were all OK.

Thankfully the really strong gusts of wind didn't last very long. The strongest at out place seemed to be for about 10 minutes around 6pm (just before the power went out). I was watching large chunks of bark from a big gum tree up the road getting blown horizontally past my top windows.

I only saw one small tree actually down near home.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby tas-man » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 8:59 am

Where we are at the back of Riverside just below the ridge top, the wind was FEROCIOUS for a ten minute period around 6pm. Our deck shadecloth sail was ripped away from the house, four large gums were partially demolished with limbs and branches hitting our deck, and another tree on our property falling over our street. Fortunately the neighbours rallied with chainsaws and we had the road cleared by 7pm. A lot of debris to clear away over the next few days, so will have to finally invest in my own chainsaw.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby norts » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 9:12 am

Thats why you should live on the Sunny East Coast namely at Germantown. Then you only have to worry about being burnt out. Didnt have any call outs for the SES.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Speculator » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 9:27 am

Hey all.

We were okay at home (Ulverstone), it was blowing very hard in Burnie, and according to she who must be obeyed, blowing and bucketing down in Devonport at about 5pm last night. Then we both got home to Ulvy at about 5:30 and it was quite a lot better, I was quite surprised because the highway between Penguin and Ulverstone was littered with debris, including three trees that had been blown over into the left-hand lane. The police had closed the lane and were watching while someone with a chainsaw went to work on them. I'm told by people in both Devonport and Burnie that the power was out for short periods yesterday, and equipment here at work certainly leads me to believe that in Burnie it continued to cut out during the night. I noticed a cruise-ship leaving Burnie yesterday afternoon too, that would've been a fun leg of their journey, the waves were huge (mind you, a rough trip away from Burnie is better than none at all).

Luckily though, there was no great damage to us or anyone we know.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Joe » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 11:44 am

blew our gates in... need to weld a new hinge for them...happens once a year when we get big winds.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby tasadam » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 3:14 pm

Our power was out for 4 hours, or so the neighbours tell me as I wasn't home.
The seas at Stanley mid afternoon were huge. Took some photos, but they're still in the camera.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Between Bushwalks