Nemo Hornet 2P Wind Performance?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Nemo Hornet 2P Wind Performance?

Postby keithy » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 10:29 pm

Anyone had a Nemo Hornet 2P for any length of time comment on it's wind performance?

I've had it since January, but not had it in windy conditions. Hoping to take it on a trip to Patagonia next Jan and wondering how well it will hold up to winds, or if I should bring something else instead.

It's not fully free standing, but I've rigged it up with my hiking pole to make it a bit more freestanding-ish.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Re: Nemo Hornet 2P Wind Performance?

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 10:03 am

I don’t own a hornet but I do own a tent with single pole design similar to the hornet.
In wind try and pitch it so the end is to the wind.

Having said that I’ve had my tent receive broadside winds of up to 60-80 km/h in the NSW alps with no issue. Aside from noise and the tent shaking with the gusts :?
The secret to success was extra stakes and guys and ensuring the fly was as low as possible.. I ran two extra lines from 1/4 up the length of the pole.

<|>

Like the above diagram with the straight line being the pole and the v is the guylines. Deep stakes and fly/inner needs to be well anchored into the soil.
This was with a tent with 30d Silnylon. The hornets 10d may be a concern? Particularly under tension and with small twigs etc flying around.

Also what’s the pole strength on the nemo like?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:07 am

I Agree. I would also pitch with tail facing the wind.

The DAC poles look ok. They are in the Y configuration, much like the Big Agnes Fly Creek I had as well. Just not sure how well that 10D fly will hold up.

I've had more success in windy conditions with my hiking pole tent especially if I could peg it down well.

I went the Hornet as some places I can only camp on timber platforms and my hiking pole tent is harder to pitch on these without additional rope. The benefit of the Nemo over the BA Fly Creek for me was the side entry vs the front entry. But I do find the Nemo Hornet to be less roomy inside in comparison.

I know BarryK on the forums has one for a couple of years, but his website review has gone and I haven't seen him around here for quite a while.

One thing I wasn't that impressed with on my Hornet so far, was that the floor without using a ground sheet seemed to seep water when pitched over wet grass. The fly was fine in the rain, but when the ground was wet and I pushed my hand to the floor of the tent, I could see moisture coming through. The bottom of my mat was damp. I have some silnet so wondering if I should paint a diluted coat over the floor as well. Or make a 1443r Tyvek ground sheet and see if that helps.
keithy

Postby Petew » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Keithy,

Did you get your hornet locally? The floor sounds defective.

You could try a polycro ground sheet. Much lighter than tyvek and packs smaller. I have maybe 60nights on one and still going strong. Reinforced edges and corners tie out loops with bungee. Good under a tent or tarp.
Petew

Postby Mark F » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 11:07 am

Nemo's floor material is only 1200mm head height waterproofing which is just adequate for the fly but useless for the floor as any pressure such as a knee or hand on the floor when laid on a wet or damp surface can force water through. If you look at other tents a marginal head height rating for floors is 2000mm and some go to 5000 and beyond.
Edit - Nordisk for example state that the fly should be a minimum of 2000mm and the floor 8000mm, Hilleberg go for 5000+ for the fly and 12000+ for the floor depending on the label colour. Better US manufacturers use lower head height fabrics but 2000-3000mm is common.
Last edited by Mark F on Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Petew » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:08 pm

1200…that's not really fit for purpose. I guess it keeps the dirt off.
Petew

Postby keithy » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 10:12 pm

Petew wrote:Did you get your hornet locally? The floor sounds defective.

Mine was from Paddy Pallin, but as Mark said, it is a low 1200mm hydrostatic head waterproof rating which I didn't research before picking it up. I first noticed when I had my knees in the floor and my pants at the knee caps were damp. Then I lifted my mat and it was damp underneath.

I had read quite good reviews from people doing the AT and PCT in the USA, and at the start of the year I was deciding which tent to keep between my BA Flycreek 2 and the Nemo Hornet. The Nemo worked well at the start of year when it was dry, so I didn't have a lot of wet use.

Since winter, the Nemo's fly seems ok for rain, but yea I'm a bit disappointed in the floor.

I've just made a footprint from some cheap light weight tarp I have that weighs about same as 1443r Tyvek. I'll put a review of it up. I used the same tarp material as a groundsheet for my budget range single skin Axeman hiking pole tent viewtopic.php?f=63&t=28191

I've read up that a few campsites in Patagonia I intend on staying at has some issues with rodents as well - chewing through tents... So maybe another reason I might not bring the Nemo on this trip.

That budget Axeman tent needs seam sealing now, but if its staked out taut, it has survived about 120kmh winds which I was pleasantly surprised in. The big sail like sides worried me, and there was much noise, but the tent held up fine with extra guys. I took it overseas last year around the Azores and some campsites facing the Atlantic Ocean were brutally windy but the tent held up fine. The only issue is the number of pegs I need for that guy.

I was considering picking up Dan Durstons mid tent, but missed the last drop again.
keithy

Postby Lamont » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 7:22 am

Wouldn't rodents chew through any floor/s Keithy? Those buggers just keep going. Grab a couple and get them on the barby. They eat the big Guinea Pigs over there. If a boost is needed for WP I might second the polycryo. Sounds like the Axman is tried and true tho'. Bit less roomy tho' I suppose?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby keithy » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 8:51 am

Lamont wrote:Wouldn't rodents chew through any floor/s Keithy?

Indeed they would. But I would prefer them chew through a $100 tent than a $600 tent! :lol:

I had considered polycryo but couldn't find the stuff here. The groundsheet I made up is made from polyethlyene in a weave like format, and is relatively light weight. It is a bit shorter than the Nemo at 1.3x1.8m, but I have reinforced eyelets and it weighs about 100g. I think polycryo of the same size would be around 50g, so its not too bad. And my cheap tarp only cost me about $3.

I read some trip reports on the rodent filled campsites (possibly due to people discarding food etc) and some woman had her inflatable mat chewed through so she didn't have a sleeping mat. And then she woked up to another rodent inside her tent overnight. I'm usually careful and hang my food and toiletries up in a drybag on a branch somewhere if I expect rodents. But they could find any smells enticing and come into tents looking for food regardless.

I am still on the fence about trying those skewered guinea pigs in Peru. :shock:
keithy

Postby Petew » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 11:44 am

Keithy,

I got my polycro off eBay. It was an insulation kit for double sliding doors:)
Petew

Postby Lamont » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 4:09 pm

keithy wrote:

I had considered polycryo but couldn't find the stuff here. The groundsheet I made up is made from polyethlyene in a weave like format, and is relatively light weight. It is a bit shorter than the Nemo at 1.3x1.8m, but I have reinforced eyelets and it weighs about 100g. I think polycryo of the same size would be around 50g, so its not too bad. And my cheap tarp only cost me about $3. Yep, sounds good

I read some trip reports on the rodent filled campsites (possibly due to people discarding food etc) and some woman had her inflatable mat chewed through so she didn't have a sleeping mat. And then she woked up to another rodent inside her tent overnight. I'm usually careful and hang my food and toiletries up in a drybag on a branch somewhere if I expect rodents. But they could find any smells enticing and come into tents looking for food regardless.
Yep, sounds good too-should be right, especially the soapy stuff -the rats love it

I am still on the fence about trying those skewered guinea pigs in Peru. :shock:

Get off the fence and tuck in -but you must try and get a photo for us :shock: :shock:
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 9:12 pm

Petew wrote:Keithy,

I got my polycro off eBay. It was an insulation kit for double sliding doors:)

Have you got a link? I looked up "Window Insulation Kit" but most are from the US, and the products are cheap enough, but the shipping to Melb is about $30!
keithy

Postby Bam » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 9:54 pm

Lamont wrote:
keithy wrote:

Get off the fence and tuck in -but you must try and get a photo for us :shock: :shock:

Slightly off topic but here’s a photo of the local delicacy that I tried in Cambodia, once you get over the initial shock of what you are eating it tasted surprisingly good!

9214A612-3930-477C-B48F-5EA87E142943.jpeg
Alas poor Ratty for I knew him well..!
9214A612-3930-477C-B48F-5EA87E142943.jpeg (163.8 KiB) Viewed 13323 times
Bam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lamont » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 5:38 am

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-286218-Shri ... B000NHW2Z6
When I bought mine it was far too expensive on ebay. Cost me about 12 Aus at the time from AmazonUS for basically 3 pieces-to cover my wee shelters. This is the stuff sold by the cottage makers in the US as polycryo. Not as cheap as your $3 mat tho'. There are also two thicknesses the standard and heavy duty -double the standard thickness. I have both and you can feel the difference. It would be easily one quarter (or more) the packed size of the one you showed in DIY. The weights you guessed at for the polycryo are pretty right as I said.
Here is some reference to my use of said stuff over three or four of my posts -starts up the top of this page linked- might be worth a go? Might not? Suits my use tho thus far.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27799&p=351232&hilit=Polycryo#p351232
I even carry a slab to throw over me in the cold stopping for a cuppa sometimes. Holds the heat in and blocks the wind nicely for a 20gm piece.
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 7:52 pm

Bam wrote:Slightly off topic but here’s a photo of the local delicacy that I tried in Cambodia, once you get over the initial shock of what you are eating it tasted surprisingly good!

It's been a while since I was in Cambodia, but I didn't give that a go then either! I had a crack at fried tarantulas, but not the bbq rats.
keithy

Postby Petew » Wed 11 Sep, 2019 11:06 pm

Keithy,

Ultralight hiker ( local Aussie cottage industry) have just listed polycro ground sheets on their site. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to get one.
Petew

Return to Equipment