Sea to summit spark sp0 thoughts

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sea to summit spark sp0 thoughts

Postby loganator » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 10:35 am

Hello, I'm in the market for an light summer sleeping bag. Itll be used in conjunction with a lightweight bivvy bag.
Does anyone have experience with the sea to summit spark sp0? Plenty of reviews on the sp1 and 2 etc but cant find any on the sp0
Nothing is going to stop me,
Even if my body falls broken
My mind and spirit shall carry me on
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Sea to summit spark sp0 thoughts

Postby Zapruda » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:00 am

How low do you expect to take this bag?

It only has 100g of down in it. That is less than my 3 season down jacket. I cant imagine this bag keeping you warm lower than 15c.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 11:33 am

Zapruda wrote:How low do you expect to take this bag?

It only has 100g of down in it. That is less than my 3 season down jacket. I cant imagine this bag keeping you warm lower than 15c.

Yep 14C is what S2S rate it at but a fit and healthy male could get away with the lower thermal limit of 10C when wearing appropriate clothing.
I looked at them briefly to use a booster but far too skinny for me in the Regular size and getting a Large didn't look to be good value
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby loganator » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 2:34 pm

At the lowest it'll go to high teens. I'm not to worried about the temp rating. More so durability of being so light
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Mon 12 Aug, 2019 3:01 pm

loganator wrote: More so durability of being so light

For durability you want something heavier. You don't get 'light' without sacrificing something. If you like this weight then you will have to treat it with respect.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Petew » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 8:19 am

Have you looked at EE quilts or zpacks bags? I had a sts micro 3 which I sold as it was too heavy for the warmth offered.

I have ditched traditional sleeping bags for hoodless ones which I find much better.

My sts micro3 which had a lower comfort rating of -2 is the same weight as my undercling Mike full zip quilt which is -12 rated.

Lightweight fabrics (10d) are absolutely up to the job and reasonably tough.

The sts traveller is an option too if you want a super compact bag though not very warm. Works ok if you have thermals and lightweight down puffy for me to about 5c comfort.

Most versatile bag I own is a EE Enigma, a sewn footbox quilt rated optimistically to 20F (older version). Been ok to 0c.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby loganator » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks Petew, I just had a look at the enlightened website. I do like how they do custom colours. The bright yellow only for the sp0 was putting me off a little bit

Thanks all for your help and opinions
loganator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Petew » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 11:04 am

Dark colours are always a good thing in a sleeping bag/quilt. I'd suggest trying out a quilt before buying one but they do feel a lot less claustrophobic.
Petew

Postby Neo » Thu 15 Aug, 2019 10:41 pm

I like a bag with a full side of zipper. Then it is easy to stick a whole leg out if you are too warm, plus can open it up and use like a quilt.

My mild weather sleep gear for at least half the year is a synthetic OMM half bag and a UL down jacket. The half bag is often too warm and the jacket can be worn at camp.

Under 600g and $260 for the pair too.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 8:52 am

A cheap down quilt would be ideal for the temperature range of this bag. Much easier to regulate temperature when it's warm.
Huntsman247

Postby wallwombat » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 1:15 pm

It seems very expensive for a bag with a 14 c rating. I realise it's very light but with that short side zip, it's not particularly versatile.

I don't invest too much money into my warm weather sleep set up. I find my Roman Palm Lite, which is rated to 15 c and weighs about 700 grams, in conjunction with my ultra-light down jacket, covers most 2/3 season situations. The Palm lite was $80 and has a full zip, so you can use it as a blanket. Add a light weight bivy bag and an insulated sleeping mat and you'll have most bases covered.

I think the Sea to Summit bag would be better with a full zip. As it is, it's not very versatile for $300. I suppose if you a the type that cuts the handle off your tooth brush and counts every gram, it might be an attractive buy but not for me.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 05 Oct, 2019 6:17 pm

All good advice, if I had my time again, Neos half quilt + puffer is the best IMO.

The Spark is a very good commercial, off-the-shelf option but a bag in Summer for me would just get too clammy.

I got an EE Revelation Synth 10C and love it. Quilts offer a lot of flexibility and one of those options is pairing them together. So if you already have a bag or quilt, you can strap the 10C quilt over the top and turn your -6 bag into a -10C. It might even go down a bit lower.

Also I would have got an Undercling Mike or Tier Gear quilt but neither offered XL XWide at the time. And I guess that's another thing about quilts, if in doubt, get the next size up. Your only talking a couple of grams on what is already nice and UL

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sun 06 Oct, 2019 6:39 am

Backpackinglight have the OMM half bag on special for $125 atm.
I got a new uniqlo ul puffy with a hood recently too, on spesh for $80.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kurisu » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 8:59 pm

Thread is a few months old...still need an opinion?

I also couldn't find much about this bag online, but was seduced by the weight (and fill-power of the down). I caved today and bought one - to be used mostly inside my EB1 quilt for cold weather. I like the idea of a modular system, living in SEQ I rarely need anything super warm, but occasionally head to Girraween in winter, or the Snowies in Dec, and am hoping the combination will be warm enough.

Initial impressions...LIGHT! But the fabrics feel fine, can't see why they wouldn't last a long time with appropriate care. Super silky feeling, and while there's not a lot of down, it does loft well. The through-stitched design would limit it's warmth more than the amount of down, I think...

Hope this helps. Can post more soon, and especially in a few months after a bikepacking trip to the Snowies.

Chris
Kurisu
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 5:26 pm

Hmm I have the previous model SP1 ...could be a 0...will check when home. Got it onsale early this year.
Whatever it is, it packs teeny, weighs 300g and I used it in April in a large tent (so cold/breezy not heayed by people in it) down to about 10c. I am a small woman and had thermals and a fleece plus beanie on. I was just comfortable. A bivvy round it would boost it nicely. In fact, I took that bag and my SOL escape bivvy anytime I was daywalking this Winter in snowy conditions as a "just in case" emergency set up.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Equipment