X Mid - Dan Durston

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: X Mid - Dan Durston

Postby Lamont » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 3:52 pm

That last photo is a cracker!
I'm smiling looking at you both.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby jobell » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 6:10 pm

Lamont wrote:That last photo is a cracker!
I'm smiling looking at you both.
He's a rescue dog and I love him to bits. He never fails to make me smile too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby dandurston » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 3:18 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:I didn't end up with a standing tent this time around with my X-Mid :-( ....So not an overly successful maiden voyage. Took the shine off my excitement a little, but I can see that it is a really intuitive pitch and would be quite an easy tent to live with after a long day walking.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Hopefully the tent is okay. Indeed those supplied pegs aren't really up to the task of handling high winds unless the dirt is really solid. Originally I wasn't going to include pegs with the tent because a lot of people have their own preference. Raising the price by including expensive pegs that a fair portion of people still wouldn't like didn't seem wise - better to let folks buy what they want or use what they already have. But then I got worried that if we included no pegs then some people wouldn't have any and would be disappointed they couldn't use their new tent. So a compromise was made to include the current stakes that were low cost enough that we didn't have to raise the price, and even though most people want to buy a more substantial stake, they would still be helpful for less important staking spots like the doorways. On hindsight though, I probably should have just included more substantial stakes because a lot of people do expect the supplied stakes to be good ones and not just modest ones. I personally use DAC J-stakes for the high load spots and then carry a couple of the ti hooks for the doors.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dandurston » Tue 10 Sep, 2019 3:23 pm

FNM wrote:Dan, if you do see this, what resources (websites/forums) are best for discovering multi-day hikes throughout the US and Canada? Cheers

That's a tough one. There's not really a good organized system. There are apps like AllTrails, but there's just so many different trails and areas that it's hard to figure out the best hikes. Usually you need to narrow it down to a specific area first. You might look on Google Maps to see what big parks are in an area, and then google them to read more, and if it sounds good starting googling "popular hikes in park X". But all the best hikes are out west. California/Oregon/Washington/Colorado/Montana/BC/Alberta.
dandurston
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby FNM » Wed 11 Sep, 2019 2:56 pm

dandurston wrote:
FNM wrote:Dan, if you do see this, what resources (websites/forums) are best for discovering multi-day hikes throughout the US and Canada? Cheers

That's a tough one. There's not really a good organized system. There are apps like AllTrails, but there's just so many different trails and areas that it's hard to figure out the best hikes. Usually you need to narrow it down to a specific area first. You might look on Google Maps to see what big parks are in an area, and then google them to read more, and if it sounds good starting googling "popular hikes in park X". But all the best hikes are out west. California/Oregon/Washington/Colorado/Montana/BC/Alberta.

Thank you! That's a start! Cheers
FNM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 5:47 pm

I just have to say. I love my Xmid.
I recovered my from *&%$#! tent peg first pitch issue. The thing has stood through some nutso weather. It is huge inside but packs up small. Easy to put up. Just frickin love it.
Ended up getting zpacks carbon fibre pole jacks and cutting them down to Dans recommended ideal pole height to augment my Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z poles. Leccy taped the bit below the basket on the poles to fill out the space and it is perfect. Really happy I can use my lighter poles with it now and also bought some CF homemade poles for it that a forum member made, so can also take the Xmid bike packing too.
Attachments
20191025_184209.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 7:02 pm

Hey Dan,

Sounds like there has been a bit more discussion re a potential 1P X Mid with a solid inner. Is it still a possibility?

Also, I do a lot of off track walking, so tent sites are sometimes less than ideal. The ground can be very bumpy and uneven, with or without tricky vegetation. Is it still possible to get a decent pitch under those conditions? I gather it's fairly important to get an accurate rectangle to get a good pitch.

Thanks for any info. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 7:26 pm

Sign me up for a solid inner if they are released. Then I really would have one tent to rule them all.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 25 Oct, 2019 7:40 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Sign me up for a solid inner if they are released. Then I really would have one tent to rule them all.

Rally your friends, Muddy! We may still need to convince Drop there's enough of us that want one.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 9:16 am

Tortoise wrote:
Ms_Mudd wrote:Sign me up for a solid inner if they are released. Then I really would have one tent to rule them all.

Rally your friends, Muddy! We may still need to convince Drop there's enough of us that want one.

I think the solid inner is now a pipe dream Tortoise. The 'may' is a 'must' going by what I've read Dan say around this issue elsewhere. Apparently the new bigwigs refused production in the new corporate restructure.
The American mass market is as it is here-warmer weather occasional (very occasional there with far less holidays) walking. Mesh works for that and so sells-big.
I still reckon you will just see a constant release of the two Xmids ad nauseum until everyone that wants one has one. Then they will shift production to a cheaper maker or barter harder for cheaper tents and they will be constantly available on Drop. Maybe like the Pine down blankets or the windshell thingy.
I reckon his DCF one is the one you may see first. From a maker not Massdrop!?
Dan?
That will sell like the billy-o. The internet might go into meltdown if they as good as is suggested.
Forget about the former UL Unicorn -Palante. The DCF proXmid would usurp that title I reckon.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 9:25 am

I think the solid inner is now a pipe dream Tortoise. The 'may' is a 'must' going by what I've read Dan say around this issue elsewhere. Apparently the new bigwigs refused production in the new corporate restructure.
So tantalising to have my potentially perfect tent dangled in front of my nose then and snatched away. :( :cry: Who's good at starting international petitions?! Surely there are other countries where more people are out there more often in cold, inclement weather. Definitely NZ, but that'd still be too small. Europe?

I wonder how hard it would be to replace most of the mesh with solid fabric?? Now, which of my clever friends might tackle such a thing, were I able to source the right stuff....
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 10:13 am

Tortoise wrote:
So tantalising to have my potentially perfect tent dangled in front of my nose then and snatched away. :( :cry: Who's good at starting international petitions?! Surely there are other countries where more people are out there more often in cold, inclement weather. Definitely NZ, but that'd still be too small. Europe?

I wonder how hard it would be to replace most of the mesh with solid fabric?? Now, which of my clever friends might tackle such a thing, were I able to source the right stuff....

Someone with international notoriety hmmm-Tony Abbott? Special envoy?
Your'e right -Europe is the key!
If they offered them here -there'd be no real money in it, NZ as well.
Get a piece of polcryo in the shape of the end panel and peg it on or drape some very thin sil/nylon over the ends with mittenhooks and tuck it under your mat bingo, bango...or get a down balaclava!
Anyone using a STS insect net are doing something like this already-tucking the polycryo under their mat-just do one end/both?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 11:56 am

Currently sitting at 12 Apostles Visitor Centre awaiting collection post walk.
I used my pack at the end of my mat last night to try and stop being sand/dirt blasted in the wind. Semi effective. Solid inner would have been more so, but then I may have had claustrophobia being tent bound? So solid inner is on my want list, but suppose I will have to survive. Xmid is the unicorn of tents for me. I only had 4 "good" pegs in last night and guyed it out and did the doors with crap pegs and it stood like a rock through wind, hail and rain. I was snug as a bug once pack at my feet as a debris block. Had a lovely lazy evening/morning in it, plenty of room to cook.
Dan has really nailed it with this for me. Price point awesome too.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 6:21 pm

Ms_Mudd wrote:Currently sitting at 12 Apostles Visitor Centre awaiting collection post walk.
I used my pack at the end of my mat last night to try and stop being sand/dirt blasted in the wind. Semi effective. Solid inner would have been more so, but then I may have had claustrophobia being tent bound? So solid inner is on my want list, but suppose I will have to survive. Xmid is the unicorn of tents for me. I only had 4 "good" pegs in last night and guyed it out and did the doors with crap pegs and it stood like a rock through wind, hail and rain. I was snug as a bug once pack at my feet as a debris block. Had a lovely lazy evening/morning in it, plenty of room to cook.
Dan has really nailed it with this for me. Price point awesome too.

Hey Muddy, did you have the corners guy lines as short as they would go with the poles at no more than 118cms? That should give you the limpet mode or very close. Should have blocked heaps.
I know you will always get some blow in, in strong winds but that sounds a lot and the camp sites are pretty wind sheltered.
And the weather - welcome to my backyard :D
Isn't the last three and a half hours pretty sweet -Last camp spot Ryan's Den (DK?) to the visitor centre?!?!
Clean three metre swell running last I was there.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 7:00 pm

My poles were at 117cm -fixed length with pole jack. Hmm guys being too long may have been my error. I camped at Princetown last night as walked into DK just after 9am yesterday, PT was pretty exposed. Happy that my Xmid was still standing this morning. Going to get another couple of decent pegs for the guys and doors. Was scrimping on weight only taking 4 heavier duty pegs. A credit to the Xmid design that it still held strong.

Really I could have just finished up all the way yesterday, but my husband wasnt picking me up until today. So had brekky in bed in the X mid and a cruisy(windy hailing) short distance to the visitor centre this morning. I started in Apollo Bay 2pm Tues and stayed at Blanket Bay, Aire River, Ryans Den prior to my Princetown jaunt. Your backyard is whacky Lamont. Was realllly warm earlier in the walk, and cold enough to freeze ye chest bits off yesterday and today.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 7:19 pm

Haha whacky is the coastal temperate climate- I was on the beach Friday 6am and 20 degrees-this morning at the same time and 35-40 knot winds (60kms +) and -1 degree with the wind chill.
Did you get Ryan's Den to yourself? Is that the one with 180 degree views?
Princetown on the oval? Yes, that is really open. But a good safe test in some wildish conditions is worth it's weight...
I reckon if you had the guys longer than the shortest (or near -2cms max or so) setting at that height you would have had the edge too high and probably also dropped the edge of the bathtub-doubly exposing yourself to the wind. The outer edges of the fly should have basically been on the ground if it was fairly flat and you should have had about 6-8 cms of bathtub.
Suggest some Easton golds from Locus gear for each corner and the peaks. Cheapest I found and the latest model at LG.
Hope you got/get something nice to eat and drink on the way home-pub in Airey's Inlet brew some nice beer!
The chicken in pyjamas used to be very good there too.
all the best
G
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 5:48 am

Yes, you are right, the sides were not low enough on the ground. I found myself wondering how it looked so ground hugging in some pics. Now I want to go right back out and try the "limpet mode" as you suggest as I love to fiddle with getting a good pitch.
Thanks for the peg suggestion, will google them now.

320g steak at Port Campbell yesterday- could have eaten two. Yes Ryans Den magnificent. Just one couple there and there were in the 1st site, I went the last campsite, which a short track at the back of my site led up to the 180 views. Just amazing!
Attachments
20191024_185522.jpg
20191024_193301.jpg
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 8:11 am

Eat the house down. You beat my two pies! I stayed in the same spot. Had I known no-one was going to turn up would have slept up there Yes you can even go down to 116cms but tension the fly before lightly tensioning the nest. If fhe ground is level it will hug the ground and give you a good bit of respite from most of the wind I reckon. Hard to see on the phone but you look like you have at least 5 cms most of the way around? Crikey.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 6:01 pm

Lamont wrote:Hard to see on the phone but you look like you have at least 5 cms most of the way around? Crikey.

Yes! I do! I kept scratching my head wondering how Dan and others get their fly edges so close to the ground. Is it a pole length issue do you think, or something else I am not doing quite right?

I have enough left over CF tubing from zpacks so can make up different length pole jacks. Hmm. Maybe they are actually 10cm (making total length of 120cm) as there was some discussion from significant other about being able to take more off put not add more on when I was discussing wanting them 7cm. That may well explain things.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 6:26 pm

You can play around with pole length by angling the poles rather than having them vertical. This will give you the opportunity to try out up to about 5cm of shortening without any cutting.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 7:23 pm

If you have fixed poles Muddy you are a bit limited-you can get the limpet or the nice big airy gap-not really both. I wouldn't be wanting too much lean on the poles-10-15cms cms from true vertical?
I suppose you have to work out which you want.
The adjustable poles give you everything.
I've gone with limpet as my preferred set up with my fixed poles and use the vents and the doors for air. There's always a wee bit of room under the fly anyway -ground is rarely that flat and the footprint is quite large.

You can play with the lean on the poles but that won't give you too much to play with, maybe a cm or two?
When you peg it out with a few cms to spare (on the stock guy line) will the pole go easily in largely upright or do you have to ease the tension off the corners to accommodate the poles?
If so you might want to shorten the poles, that is if you want it to be able to pitch to the ground.
The corner guys give you the height of the edge of the fly largely. Longer guys (replace stock ones with 30-40cms) pegged further from the corner, longer pole height=higher the pitch and bigger the gap and vice versa.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 8:17 pm

To pitch very low to the ground I usually have a very small loop of thin cord looped though the tape holding the linelocs. This is in addition to the regular guy line that passes though the lineloc. This allows me to stake very close to the fly when I need to.

Off track --- your moniker reminds me of the refrain from Flanders and Swans hippopotamus song, the words of which were in the old Kameruka song book,

Mud, mud, glorious mud,
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood,
So follow me, follow,
Down to the hollow,
And there let us wallow,
In glorious mud.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 30 Oct, 2019 10:28 pm

Haha I like that MarkF. Often I get "ear worms" on a walk and get little grabs of songs in my head. You can guess what I will be humming/singing now.

Mystery solved re:pole jack length. They are actually11cm! That gives me a complete height of 121cm, not the 117cm I was aiming for. Darling husband was worried I would request he make them to my specified 7cm and then need them longer. He has kindly agreed to reduce the pole jacks 2cm at a time until I am happy.
So Lamont, yes, your eye is good. I DO have 5cm (well, 4cm) gap right around my fly. Bonus points for eagle eyes.

I would not have questioned my pole jack length if not for this thread and would have been left scrstching my head as to how I kept getting a pitch where that happened. Thank you to you all, Brains Trust.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 5:54 am

I seem to be getting my ideal pitch with my poles set between 115 and 120 cm, so roughly 117.

That said I haven't spent a lot of time trying to get the perfect taut pitch.

I was up the Grampians on the weekend and had the x-mid on a dodgy exposed site pitched awkwardly side on to very strong winds with driving rain. It was pegged into a gravel base with the pegs held down by rocks. The worst tent site I have ever pitched on.

Didn't have any problems at all. I am pretty happy with the tent as it is pretty big inside and if you drop the inner you have a massive space for a '1 man'. Erecting the tent is not foolproof but my experience shows that it is pretty forgiving in non-ideal sites and pitches, probably due to the windshedding design.

It really is a 'breeze' to set up - even in strong wind.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 6:14 am

Not that I am in the market for a tent; but is the problem that the fly sits too far above the ground or that the side walls of the inner are too short? The bathtub looks to be only about 50mm high and my experience is that 200/300mm would be much better if you can't have a full and proper solid inner
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 9:07 am

You could pitch the inner lower but, yes, the inner is very minimalist but then we are talking about an UL tent. I've had it in strong winds and driving rain and it is fine - you do have to be careful with tent site selection, there is not a high bathtub to save you if a river courses through your tent. You do get some compromises with any UL tent - this is not a Macpac minaret; but then it is over half the weight.
But, build quality is on par to cottage US UL tentmakers - in fact superior, in my experience.

Interesting to me was the polyester fly - no inherent stretch, which is a bonus, but it does seem to have more 'stickiness' to water, or rather silpoly sheds water much better. So when you're packing up there is more water to deal with on the tent. Not a massive deal but i did notice it.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby fixa » Sun 03 Nov, 2019 6:12 pm

Had mine out at fed hut last week. was a bit windy during the night, but the tent stayed solid! very happy with it again, looking forward to the 2p for just a little more room.
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xastorm » Tue 05 Nov, 2019 6:32 am

You’ve all convinced me and I’ve just ordered one from the next drop :D It will be good to put away the 4 season for summer!
Ms Mudd.. can you let me know what you made to allow you to use it bikepacking? I’ll probably keep my Nemo for this unless I can find an easy way to make foldable poles.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Drew » Wed 06 Nov, 2019 11:57 am

I think I'm about to place a pre-order for one of these but I'm having trouble finding details about delivery dates. I've bought from Massdrop a few times previously and found the old format clear compared to the new website. Can anyone clarify for me?

EDIT - fount it finally!
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Wed 06 Nov, 2019 3:58 pm

Has anyone in Tassie bought one yet? I'd love to see one in person before I add to my tent collection again. :roll: Pm if you prefer. Thanks a bunch. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment