Mon oncle where's my monocular?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Mon oncle where's my monocular?

Postby Lamont » Thu 14 Nov, 2019 6:16 pm

Anyone got this little number?
ROXANT 7×18 Ultralight Monocular at about $38

75mm x 27.5mm and 40 gms (add 13gms for the case).
Reviews are quite good especially from Joanne everywoman and Joe everyman. Archers and birdwatchers harder to please obviously.

I'm not a birdwatcher so don't link me to Swarovski (or more binoculars) but like to look around a bit when I sit and a bit tired of not carrying my binoculars when I am going small and light.
Happy to hear of other proven items this small and (near) this light for a few squid more.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (363.62 KiB) Viewed 13062 times
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: Mon oncle where's my monocular?

Postby Mark F » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 8:09 am

Ever wondered why we talk about a pair of binoculars rather than a binocular or a pair of monoculars?

I've had the Brunton version (7x18, 66g but with a rubber armour) for many years and have found the useful for watching wild life and route finding in steep rocky alpine terrain on the occasions I have taken them out. I also have an 8 x 32 which lives in the car. You really notice the benefits of the larger objective lens. I recently picked up a Gumtree bargain - Nikon Monarch 7 8 x 42 binocs for $90. With their wide field of view etc they are a massive leap in performance when bird watching.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orion » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 11:06 am

I have one that's 6x18. Super compact, lightweight, can be used for closeup magnification as well (25cm). But I never use it, opting for either compact binoculars or nothing. I guess it depends on the application. I bought one originally to help spot key bolts on rock climbing routes from the ground before committing to climbing the route. I lost that monocular somewhere and bought this one as a replacement but I don't think I've used it even once. For general "looking around" I find monoculars kind of annoying in their limitations, at least the cheap ones that I've owned.

I also have an ultra-lightweight plastic telescoping monocular that came in a box of Cracker Jacks many years ago, back when the toys weren't just some paper thing. Despite the fact that it's only a toy it's surprisingly useful, as well as amusing.

One thing I've wondered is if those little clip-on telephoto lenses for phones work well enough for distance viewing. That would be nice because then it'd be easier to take a picture as opposed to trying to mate phone with monocular (I've done that). I suspect those lenses are junk but I don't have any experience with them.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 15 Nov, 2019 3:07 pm

Mark F wrote:Ever wondered why we talk about a pair of binoculars rather than a binocular or a pair of monoculars?

I've had the Brunton version (7x18, 66g but with a rubber armour) for many years and have found the useful for watching wild life and route finding in steep rocky alpine terrain on the occasions I have taken them out. I also have an 8 x 32 which lives in the car. You really notice the benefits of the larger objective lens. I recently picked up a Gumtree bargain - Nikon Monarch 7 8 x 42 binocs for $90. With their wide field of view etc they are a massive leap in performance when bird watching.

Ta Mark. Nice pick-up on the binocs!
That Brunton was the one that got me thinking. Saw it on Massdrop and read the reviews, sounds a bit hit and miss. You must have got a good one. I get the feeling that the one I linked might be the new cheapy on the block? Might just take a punt.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Franco » Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:34 am

"Ever wondered why we talk about a pair of binoculars rather than a binocular or a pair of monoculars?'
I have posted something like that several times in the past but somehow most don't get the point.
Yes mono means one as the suffix bi means two (bilingual,biped,bifocal, bisexual...) but people still insist they use a pair.
Back to the optical part, I strogly suggest looking through just one ocular on a bino or better still trying a monocular first because not everyone find it all that easy to use.
For example I have a hard time locating a bird looking throgh a monocular but can point to it no problem at all with a bino.

Oddly don't have the problem with a long lens on a camera.
BTW, most retail brands, including Brunton and Nikon, don't make their own monoculars and binoculars so the quality can vary a lot from one model to the other even when having the same specs.
(can be made in a different factory using different glass/coatings and so on)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Sun 17 Nov, 2019 1:17 pm

That Roxant monocular can be bought under many brands or even non branded.
With binoculars there is always a high risk of beign out of collimation (giving double vision) but that does not affect the mono types , so one less possible difference between one brand and the other.
(the better known brands exercise a higher level of quality control)
One of the many versions of the Roxant is this :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Mini-7x1 ... 2256837759
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Ultralight backpacking