Walls of Jerusalem extended circuit plan feedback

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walls of Jerusalem extended circuit plan feedback

Postby hungryhiker » Fri 03 Jan, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi,

I have a few hikes planned for Tasmania and I am just checking advice on track conditions, any pointers and any feedback on planned itinerary from locals or people familar with the area etc. I've listed the intinerary for my planned walls of Jerusalem hike at the end of January.

I'm moderatley experienced, have some navigation skills, will also have a GPS and will be self sufficient with a PLB etc. Travelling with 1 friend for this trip and plan on taking our time, enjoying the scenary but also attempting a few summits (weather permitting) etc. I think the below itinerary would allow us to walk early in the morning break and then later in the afternoon if it turns out really hot too.

Day 1: From Walls of J carpark to Dixon's Kingdom
Day 2: Mt Jerusalem in morning. Then Dixon's to Lake Adelaide OR stay at Dixon's and explore the inner walls more and hike Dixon's to Meston Day 3.
Day 3: Lake Adelaide to Lake Meston OR Dixon's to Meston
Day 4: Lake Meston to Lake Myrtle (may summit Mt Rogoona - advice on finding the track, cairns etc)
Day 5: Lake Myrtle to Mersey Forest Rd via Lake Bill. Then a road slog :cry: (about 7km) back to Walls of J carpark.

Any feedback?
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Re: Walls of Jerusalem extended circuit plan feedback

Postby Somerfly » Sat 04 Jan, 2020 8:16 am

Hi hh you shouldn't have any problems on those tracks and don't think heat will be a problem in our high country. Track from meston hut a little overgrown at the start but gets better as you gain elevation. Rogoona spur leaves at the highest point of the ridge and heads west. Well used nowadays and marked with a rock cairn. Happy travels Wayne
Somerfly
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Tasmania

Postby IDP » Sat 04 Jan, 2020 9:07 am

I just completed the same circuit over 5 days last month with my 13 yo daughter. It was very enjoyable indeed.
Few comments:
We spent 2 nights at Dixons and climbed Solomons/King David's Peak, Mt Jerusalem, and The Temple on day 2.
On day 3, the walk from Dixons to Lake Meston was straightforward. Camping at the notrthern end of Meston was delightful and rhe swimming was particularly good there (sandy beach and lake floor).
On day 4, we walked to Lake Myrtle. As per above, the start of the Lake Myrtle track was a little indistinct but just scout around immediately before the Lake Meston hut and it becomes obvious. We climbed Mt Rogoona which was beautiful. At the high point of the Lake Myrtle track there's a cairn and looking above you, you will see a few more cairns that indicate the way up to an initial plateau. From there the cairns become a little confused and there are probably several lines of them. If you have.a GPS, I wouldn't worry too much about following them, rather just amble over the terrain, enjoying the scenery, whilst generally heading toward the summit up and down a few high points and valleys. Stunning tarns abound. The views from the summit are very nice with Lake Myrtle at your feet and a grandstand view of the Du Cane Range. The camp site at the northern end of Lake Myrtle is lovely and again good swimming.
Day 5 out to the Mersey Forest Road is straightforward. We were lucky enough to score a lift after only a km or so on the road back to the WOJ car park.
Enjoy
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby hungryhiker » Sun 05 Jan, 2020 1:30 am

Somerfly wrote:Hi hh you shouldn't have any problems on those tracks and don't think heat will be a problem in our high country. Track from meston hut a little overgrown at the start but gets better as you gain elevation. Rogoona spur leaves at the highest point of the ridge and heads west. Well used nowadays and marked with a rock cairn. Happy travels Wayne

Somerfly - yes I didn't think heat would be a major issue but a friend copped a few 30 degree days in late Jan and early Feb before (when I am there), so just have that possibility on my mind, but definatley prepared and expect more rain and cold.

IDP wrote:We spent 2 nights at Dixons and climbed Solomons/King David's Peak, Mt Jerusalem, and The Temple on day 2.
On day 3, the walk from Dixons to Lake Meston was straightforward.

Thank you both for your feedback seems like the itinerary is sound. I can't wait to get out there and explore this area, the pictures I've seen look amazing. I will probably spend two nights at Dixon's, the same as IDP as I would love to climb a few peaks if the weather is being nice.
Do you recall how long it took you from Dixon's to Meston? It's about 14kmish?
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby IDP » Sun 05 Jan, 2020 8:45 am

Dixons to Meston was a relatively easy day. Can't recall exact times, but left Dixons at a leisurely time and arrived at Meston by mid-afternoon travelling at an cruisey pace. The walk down Lake Adelaide is the least scenic of the day.
The itinerary that we did, and that you plan, certainly does not require early starts or late finishes.
I'd highly recommend Mt Rogoona - the terrain is open and easy and the view is lovely.
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby philm » Sun 05 Jan, 2020 9:51 am

It will take about 5-6 hours to go from Dixons to Meston hut at a moderate pace. A little less if you are going to the Northern end of Meston.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby hungryhiker » Mon 06 Jan, 2020 9:48 pm

IDP wrote:Dixons to Meston was a relatively easy day. Can't recall exact times, but left Dixons at a leisurely time and arrived at Meston by mid-afternoon travelling at an cruisey pace

philm wrote:It will take about 5-6 hours to go from Dixons to Meston hut at a moderate pace. A little less if you are going to the Northern end of Meston.

Awesome, thanks both. Sounds like it's easily doable without rushing.

IDP wrote: I'd highly recommend Mt Rogoona - the terrain is open and easy and the view is lovely.

I will definatley be attempting the summit - fingers crossed the weather cooperates.
hungryhiker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania