Warner's Track Walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Warner's Track Walk

Postby Tasallan » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 6:12 pm

Did the Warner's Track walk today and it is a wonderful walk thru beautiful forest with many wild flowers out. Had difficulty in finding the track but we asked a member of the local community at Jackeys Marsh who took us into his home and got out a large map and pointed us in the right direction. He told us the track was intended as the main road to Hobart and had convict labour in it's construction - this fact was borne out with the great stone retaining walls near the top of the plateau. The two bridges are fully installed, the walk is a relentless climb to the plateau which leads down to Pine Lake. It is about 10KM return and took us close to 4 hours. We did not see one sign indicating Warner's Track any where!
Attachments
P1050178.jpg
Top of the plateau looking towards Pine Lake with the Lake Highway on the left.
Tasallan
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Warner's Track Walk

Postby sirius Tas » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:12 pm

Sounds like a another great walk. I've worked a lot in that area and never knew the track existed. Would appreciate any info you may have by PM if that is ok.
Many moons ago I went in off the Hwy across to Aboriginal shelters which were pretty speccy...but doubt I'd be able to find them again. Lovely forest down from the plateau. As a former Surveyor it would be great to check out the old bridges and the road alignment and how they graded up to the lake. Sounds really interesting...love that type of walk...Cheers.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davehenderson » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:56 pm

Sounds like a another great walk. I've worked a lot in that area and never knew the track existed. Would appreciate any info you may have by PM if that is ok.

Me too, would love to get some info on this track 8)
dave
Quamby Bluff, Mt Arthur, Mt Barrow, Split Rock Falls, Warner's Track, Bastion Cascades, Lady Lake, Mt Roland (King's Rd)
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tasallan » Thu 14 Jan, 2010 6:56 pm

Yes it was a beautiful but tiring walk, especially coming down as it was so steep. I take it that you don not disagree with the comment the gentleman made that it was going to be the road to Hobart.
It is quite tricky finding the start of the track as "Warners Track" is not mentioned anywhere, these are my directions:
[i]At Meander town Boundary turn left into Jackys Marsh Road, keep on this road until Jackeys Marsh Road takes a sharp left, go straight on into Sugar Loaf Road.
When you come to a road marked Wiiteena Rd take this left turn and follow road for 2.6KM ( (at PO Box 68-70 take a right turn) when you will come across a small sign “Wiiteena” Protected Area, and number 318 “Land for Wildlife. Warner’s track starts just to the left of this entry point to the Wiiteena community
I hope you can follow but you will not be mistaken when you reach the boundary of the Jackeys Marsh Community. It could be done as a one way walk if you could get dropped off at Jackeys Marsh and be picked up at the Pine Lake car park on the Lake Highway.
Enjoy the walk it is another Tasmanian gem.
Tasallan
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby E.G. » Fri 15 Jan, 2010 6:56 am

Warners Track was intended to allow summer grazing on the Central Plateau and also as an access route to drive cattle and sheep through to the Linda Track onwards to Queenstown. It was made in the 1890s and is a well benched track with some very nice stone work. They knew their job when they were making it. It was also used for tourist access to the Great Lake and Pine Lake. Taking stock up for summer agistment was practiced in living memory and there are the remains of stockyards and fencing above the top of the track.

The bridges aren't old, the originals were washed away years ago and have just been replaced after a lot of hard work by the volunteer group the Mountain Huts Preservation Society with the help from PWS.

Cheers,

E.G.
E.G.
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sirius Tas » Wed 20 Jan, 2010 12:31 pm

Many thanks for directions Tasallan & info E.G. really interesting track for sure....much appreciated.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davehenderson » Sun 31 Jan, 2010 2:46 pm

If the weather cools down a bit I'm gunna have a go at this one this week :D Sounds like the track is pretty easy to follow, is this the case? Should be an enjoyable walk I hope :)

Dave
Quamby Bluff, Mt Arthur, Mt Barrow, Split Rock Falls, Warner's Track, Bastion Cascades, Lady Lake, Mt Roland (King's Rd)
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tasallan » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Dave
Tried to reply to your private message but did not seem to work and I have not used it before.
The Warners Track for most of the way is very easy to follow and is in fact as wide as a road in many places but when you get to the plateau at the top it is not as clear as you approach Pine Lake. I placed plenty of pink tape to mark the way we went and there are also old poles sticking up which mark the way. Just be aware of your surroundings as you reach the top and you will have no worries. Enjoy this great walk.
Trevor
Tasallan
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby davehenderson » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks heaps Trevor, hope to go Friday :D
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby flyfisher » Tue 02 Feb, 2010 8:00 pm

I have walked the top section of the track from the lake highway, through the saddle ne of Adams peak and down the creek to a small cascade. Very pretty.
The track starts from the lake highway about 300m on the Deloraine side of Pine lake.
Definitely worth a walk.

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby davehenderson » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 7:08 am

Finally got out and did the Warner's Track to Pine lake yesterday (Saturday), and I must say what a really great walk it was one of the most enjoyable walks I have done in ages :D

Tasallan described it as "a relentless climb to the plateau" and that is very accurate but you have the company nearly all the way of lovely mountain stream (not sure of it's name) with many impressive cascades and small waterfalls. The stonework towards the top leaves you wondering how the hell they did it :o , some of the rocks are huge and I would guess that only hand tools would have been involved.

Once you reach the plateau you are rewarded with stunning views all the way across the saddle, past the remains of old stock yards, until you reach the beautiful Pine Lake, a great place to have lunch. And thanks Tasallan for the great track information and the pink marker tape, it made life a lot easier :D

Will post pictures in the Gallery as soon as I get them sorted :?

Dave
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chrisbulldog » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:05 am

How long did it take Dave ?
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davehenderson » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 11:10 am

Took me about 5 hrs Chris, but I spent quiet a while on top, so I say you could easily do it in a bit over 4 :)
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chrisbulldog » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks Dave . Did you have a pickup at the Pine Lake end , or does the time include walking back ?
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davehenderson » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 9:27 pm

That time included the return time Chris and I must say it's a long way down....Lol!
davehenderson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Westbury Warrior » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi All
Went up Warners on Sunday with father in law and 8yr old daughter. What a great walk, took us about 5.5hrs return, the creek was running very quick due to rain the day before and was a pleasant sound all the way up. Came across snakes, wallabies, roos. The stone work as mentioned before is mind blowing and a great subject for a photo. The 2 new bridges are to be opened on 13th March- officially.. Unofficially we've saved them a trip by declaring them opened..LOL..
Some places are as wide as a road and other parts like a goat track. My daughter just couldnt take enough pictures, "wow dad look at that".
Cheers everyone.
Westbury Warrior
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania