3 day hike in NSW - post-lockdown restrictions

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

3 day hike in NSW - post-lockdown restrictions

Postby patrickv » Sun 17 May, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi folks,

I imagine many people here will be planning there next hike after the lockdown restrictions ease. I'm looking to do a three day bushwalk, hopefully in late winter (pending NPWS guidelines).

Are there any good reccomendations for 3 days hikes within 3-4 hours drive of Sydney that hasn't been destroyed by bushfires? A number of the places I'm used to walking - the Budawangs, Blue Mountains - have been closed due to bushfire damage.

Any tips or reccomendations would be much apppreciated!

Cheers,

Pat
patrickv
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: 3 day hike in NSW - post-lockdown restrictions

Postby Warin » Sun 17 May, 2020 3:34 pm

I am actually interested in going to an area that is bushfire 'affected' to see how the regeneration is going. I would not disscount an area just because a bushfire has been through.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 17 May, 2020 4:36 pm

Warin wrote:I am actually interested in going to an area that is bushfire 'affected' to see how the regeneration is going. I would not disscount an area just because a bushfire has been through.
It's nice after a few months of regeneration, but a moot point if the parks are still closed as are (and will be for some time) wollemi, kanangra, budawangs, namadgi, deua/wadbilliga etc. To answer the question, nattai hasn't been closed by the fires (some parts regenerating from the fires but open nonetheless) and neither has koszciusko, although large parts of that will be snow bound from here on. Could do a good 3/4 dryer in the nattai, maybe in via wattle Ridge and slott way to russels needle then downstream for a couple of days and back to WR via the nattai fire trail? With 4 days could squeeze in a side trip out to belloon pass maybe? Or a few days in northern koszciusko if you're kitted up for cold?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Sun 17 May, 2020 6:35 pm

So, fat boy, are you saying Nattai was not closed due to fire pre wuhan virus?

There are some excellent three-four day loops there which would be really good after fire as the plateau scrub would be thinned out. From Middle flat there is a great pass onto the Wanganderry Plateau at approx 546094 (Old Map), called Orthogonal Pass. From here you could go as far as you want along the Wanganderry Plateau, then back down to the Nattai and up over Grants head.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 17 May, 2020 6:40 pm

clarence wrote:So, fat boy, are you saying Nattai was not closed due to fire pre wuhan virus?

Yep that's what I mean. Perplexing really given it's still been quiet extensively burnt.... other similarly affected parks remain closed, not sure why nattai is different?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT