Off Clear Hill Rd.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Off Clear Hill Rd.

Postby Buddy » Sun 24 May, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi all- I read somewhere that there was a good patch of rainforest off an old logging track off Clear Hill Rd. The track was said to commence uphill at the 10km. marker. So I recently found this track and followed taped route for approx. 30 minutes through several tracks/turnoffs without a result. Veg. was still just scrubby. Track started to get indistinct and very overgrown. I gave it best and returned to the car. Has anyone here done this route? Find anything worthwhile? Cheers.
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Off Clear Hill Rd.

Postby north-north-west » Mon 25 May, 2020 9:54 am

The taped route - which can be a bit difficult to follow - leads up onto the Ragged Range, and continues to the high point. There's some very nice forest once you get past the logged area and it's good for fungus in season. The ridgetop section goes through a mix of low forest and scraggly scrub; easy to follow as long as you're paying attention.
I might be able to dig out a GPX file.

ps: does this mean that Clear Hill Road has been opened?
pps: I'd have thought with the current restrictions on movement that the whole SW would be closed.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Buddy » Mon 25 May, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks NNW. Yes, it's open, but only as far as the Adam R. bridge. Gated there as roadworks required further out to remediate damage caused by machinery during the fires..
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RicktheHuman » Tue 09 Jun, 2020 1:17 pm

Buddy wrote:Thanks NNW. Yes, it's open, but only as far as the Adam R. bridge. Gated there as roadworks required further out to remediate damage caused by machinery during the fires..

Has anyone else been out Clear HIll Road since? Does anyone know if it's still open to the Adams River Bridge?
STT site says it's still closed..
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania