Walk in campsite

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk in campsite

Postby Sakura » Mon 25 Jan, 2021 6:40 pm

I had ops on both of my knees in November - I've been given the go-ahead to backpack but I'm not up for anything too hard.

I've got a week off and want to get into the Vic Alps - can anyone think of a site where the walk-in from the camp-site would be reasonably flat?

Something like JB Plain but a bit further from the road ...
Sakura
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Walk in campsite

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Jan, 2021 8:26 pm

I'm no expert, so I know I'll be gainsaid or corrected.
However, the Bogong High Plains can be accessed from Falls Creek, you're up high, so the plains are basically a plateau and you can move between the huts (historic cattleman's huts/ski huts) without great change in altitude.
Near Mt. Buller, you can drive to the Howitt high plains (via Licola), and it's apparently a gentle walk to Vallejo Gantner hut and Mt Howitt. After that, I think the routes become more 'alpine'.

EDIT: ignore this post. I reread yours, and have no idea about JB plain, so any suggestion is moot. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Arapiles » Mon 25 Jan, 2021 8:44 pm

Thank, that does sound like the sort of suggestions I was after.
Arapiles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CaptainC » Tue 26 Jan, 2021 8:04 am

On the Bogong High Plains Kellys, Fitzgeralds, Johnsons and Edmonsons huts are all around 5 - 6 km from Watchbed Creek. Tawongs huts are about 2.5 km from Pretty Valley dam.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Sakura » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 11:03 am

Thanks.
Sakura
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Walk in campsite + Filtration

Postby Sakura » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 11:05 am

Follow up question:

I have a Katadyn filter that I was planning to use for the water from McAlister Springs - would there be any need to also treat the water for viruses?

I'd've thought that was unnecessary in Australia, whether from a spring or standing water.
Sakura
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Walk in campsite + Filtration

Postby Xplora » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 2:09 pm

Sakura wrote:Follow up question:

I have a Katadyn filter that I was planning to use for the water from McAlister Springs - would there be any need to also treat the water for viruses?

I'd've thought that was unnecessary in Australia, whether from a spring or standing water.

Your filter is fine. No further treatment required.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 8:08 pm

Bryce's gorge car park has a scenic flattish 8 km return walking loop and BYO water camping options at the said place . It can be accessed on the way to Howitt Plains car park coming from Licola.
The road up there can become interesting in wet conditions for 2 WD sedans with street tyres .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Sakura » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 10:38 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Bryce's gorge car park has a scenic flattish 8 km return walking loop and BYO water camping options at the said place . It can be accessed on the way to Howitt Plains car park coming from Licola.

There's a wind warning for tonight so we may need to change plans, so may camp lower down than Macalister Springs.

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: The road up there can become interesting in wet conditions for 2 WD sedans with street tyres .

Re vehicles, I'm in a 4WD.
Sakura
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 29 Jan, 2021 5:39 pm

The grassy area near the spring /stream at Mac. Springs is relatively sheltered for camping and the A frame hut offers good protection from bad weather. The walk in/ out from the Howitt Plains car park can become very foggy but is also not that exposed. I have been up there in foul weather and driven on those roads in terrible wet and windy weather. Not by choice .... mind you.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria