Wilderness Equipment: Excellent customer service

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Wilderness Equipment: Excellent customer service

Postby Tortoise » Fri 05 Feb, 2021 1:32 pm

I want to give a big thumbs up to Henry at Wilderness Equipment for his excellent customer service.

I have a First Arrow UL tent, which I LOVE.

I've had it for about 5 years, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't used it much. After only about 25 - 30 nights' use, the main zip that closes the base of the inner failed. The zip coil somehow broke (???), and the sliders came off both ends of the double-ended zip. That left us with an unclose-able billowy inner and a gaping hole, on night 2 of a remote, exposed 8 day walk in Tassie. A clever repair by my tent-mate had us back in business, though with a little too much fabric one end, and not quite enough at the other.

When I got home, I contacted Henry, and sent a photo of the repair. After a couple of weeks when I thought he was avoiding me (he wasn't, he was out bush, and had technological hassles), I was able to speak with him. He sent a new inner to replace the damaged one, as the particular zip is complicated to replace. Express post, it arrived in NW Tasmania within 2 business days.

I know the tent is pricey, but I think it's a superior design to any tent I can think of for it's weight and function, and it's so encouraging that WE back their quality claims like this. ' on ya, Henry! :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Wilderness Equipment: Excellent customer service

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 17 Feb, 2021 9:59 am

So good to hear, good ol fashioned customer service and decency!

I had a similarly good experience about 2 years ago with another Australian manufacturer who heat treated the lifting seams on one of their older tents, that I had bought 2nd hand. Amazing!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby slparker » Wed 17 Feb, 2021 12:50 pm

Good to know - I have had indifferent service from US cottage manufacturers so in future I'll either tend to stay local, or buy tents manufactured in Asia where QA seems to be very high.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ianhopkins » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 9:21 pm

Hey Tortoise, just stumbled across this thread at a convenient time. I'm having some issues with my WE Second Arrow and have been trying to get in touch with WE without much luck.
How did you get in contact with them?
I have seen them posting on their social media so assume they aren't away on leave or anything like that
ianhopkins
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 7:51 am

Hey Ian,

I rang Henry's number that I found on their website, I think: 0415877322.
If no luck, can you try via the social media they're posting on?
Last edited by Tortoise on Sat 06 Mar, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ianhopkins » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 9:40 am

Thank you! I couldn't see a number when I looked online so I'll give that a go next week.
Haha I hope not.. hopefully just a miscommunication, thanks for your help
ianhopkins
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stry » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 9:52 am

W/E seems to have had a series of email addresses since the takeover by/amalgamation with STS. Not all the email addresses scattered around around various web sites are live.

My experience, after working through various contact addresses, was a quick and helpful response from henry@wildernessequipment.com.au
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ianhopkins » Sat 06 Mar, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks Stry, turns out the email had slipped through the cracks. Have now managed to get in touch with Henry and can confirm the customer service is fantastic
ianhopkins
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment