$4 227g Butane Canister

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

$4 227g Butane Canister

Postby Dexter » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 8:17 am

Just passing this one on. I wish they had the little guys, I find them about right for 2-3 nights which is generally enough for me.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/butane ... 7g/3123312

They also have a Jetboil inspired stove for $49, but no idea how good/bad/heavy it is.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: $4 227g Butane Canister

Postby Lamont » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 8:30 am

Hey matey if you do a bit of a search you'll find if you splurge on a mini can-then empty it- you can refill it over and over with butane from the same seller for next to nothing. The long spray type Butane carts at the bottom of the page in the link you provided are cheap as chips. You can refill a 100gm canister for about 50 cents with butane. The long cans are also in every Supermarket and hardware shop in the land, often 4 (400gms of butane) for about $3-4.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Dexter » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 8:40 am

Lamont wrote:Hey matey if you do a bit of a search you'll find if you splurge on a mini can-then empty it- you can refill it over and over with butane from the same seller for next to nothing. The long spray type Butane carts at the bottom of the page in the link you provided are cheap as chips. You can refill a 100gm canister for about 50 cents with butane. The long cans are also in every Supermarket and hardware shop in the land, often 4 (400gms of butane) for about $3-4.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh wow! Is it the same mix of Isobutane / Propane and works as efficiently? Any trick to filling one from the other?
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 9:07 am

Dexter wrote:
Lamont wrote:Hey matey if you do a bit of a search you'll find if you splurge on a mini can-then empty it- you can refill it over and over with butane from the same seller for next to nothing. The long spray type Butane carts at the bottom of the page in the link you provided are cheap as chips. You can refill a 100gm canister for about 50 cents with butane. The long cans are also in every Supermarket and hardware shop in the land, often 4 (400gms of butane) for about $3-4.

Oh wow! Is it the same mix of Isobutane / Propane and works as efficiently? Any trick to filling one from the other?

I did buy one of those adaptors to run my stove from the 'fly-spray' type butane canisters and it works well. Potentially eliminates the need to play around with refilling. There is another recent thread covering this topic.
Attachments
Butane_adaptor2_min.jpg
Butane_adaptor2_min.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
Butane_adaptor1_min.jpg
Butane_adaptor1_min.jpg (124.97 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 9:09 am

Yeah I've seen those adapters but thought it looks a little tricky to stand up my tiny little BRS stove, and just more weight to carry. How difficult is it to refill? An adapter for that would be ideal.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 9:50 am

Sorry I haven't provided the link but check the recent topic which went into extensive detail about re-filling.... cheers
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 10:02 am

Dexter wrote:

The one you linked is Butane only.
If you do a search on here with say 'Butane' (this has come up multiple times on here) in the search box and you'll find a small cheap adapter (mine weighs about 10 grams) to fill a 100gm canister from the tall jobby-I'd recommend butane refilling only due to the potential hazard with refilling propane. Butane works to near zero degrees without an issue.
I have one 100gm can partially refilled probably 70-100 times-due for the bin now, as has rust showing.
Cheers
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dexter » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 10:52 am

Lamont wrote:
Dexter wrote:

The one you linked is Butane only.
If you do a search on here with say 'Butane' (this has come up multiple times on here) in the search box and you'll find a small cheap adapter (mine weighs about 10 grams) to fill a 100gm canister from the tall jobby-I'd recommend butane refilling only due to the potential hazard with refilling propane. Butane works to near zero degrees without an issue.
I have one 100gm can partially refilled probably 70-100 times-due for the bin now, as has rust showing.
Cheers

Thanks heaps to you and ggorgeman! Sorry didn't realise there was another thread about it. I'll search it up. :D

The Kmart canister I shared initially has 20% Propane. But good to know it's not essential for warmer temps.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 11:37 am

No worries. Thanks for posting it. Everyone loves a bargain :D
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Avatar » Thu 18 Feb, 2021 8:48 pm

Check the lindal valve suits your stove with any new brand of canister. Not all brands are the same. Some stoves may need to be tightened down to depress the pin.
Last edited by Avatar on Fri 19 Feb, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby marc34 » Fri 19 Feb, 2021 3:44 pm

jeez, there is a three piece collapsable plate/bowl/cup set that looks miiiighty simmilar to the sea to summit one i own that cost 10x the price. Im all for supporting aus brands and not fast/copy rip offs but heck me that is cheap. No different to consumer level cars ripping off features expensive euro brands had 5 years ago i guess
marc34
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 19 Feb, 2021 4:16 pm

If you want to decanter to smaller cannisters, pretty much all you need to know is here:
https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-g-works-r1-gas-saver-refilling.html

Search "G1/4 DN8 Adapter" on ebay/amazon if you want a cheaper version of the G-works. I don't think they can be sold legally in Australia.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Equipment