Matress Pro

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Matress Pro

Postby Dexter » Mon 01 Mar, 2021 10:32 pm

A mate of mine who has been keen on coming along on some walks just sent this over to me and asked if I knew anything about these mattresses. I'd seen them pop up as ads on social media before and fairly quickly dismissed them as I usually do with most ads of this nature. Having a look at the site, the claims are fairly big. R-value of 4.2, and 500g. They claim it packs up small (22cm long cylinder). I'm skeptical, but wonder if anyone here has given one of these a try.

https://www.westhikers.co/products/mattress-pro
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Matress Pro

Postby Lamont » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 7:07 am

I've not used one, but, with the new ratings all mats have to go through now I'd be skeptical of a claimed R4.2.
Companies always used to inflate :D their R values and a few were caught out by the new testing. If they have been tested well it should be fine-but nothing on the site.
Also I don't like the large dimples/gaps things for cooler weather. I can't find inflating directions and one reviewer says-"you don't need to inflate it"-Is it self inflating?
However, the one you linked appears to be a lowish price (I wouldn't say cheap) and the gaps appear to be smaller than something like a Klymit's channels so.....summer mat and all for occasional use....30 day return....postage would be small fortune to the US...let's know how they go if they bite the bullet.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Eremophila » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 7:47 am

I think I’m the proud owner of one of these..... a friend interstate decided to buy one, so I thought what the heck, I’ll give one a try, and she ordered 2. I’m pretty sure it was these.

I’ll get to see it in May, when we meet up in SA for a few days on the Heysen.

They took some time to arrive, potentially voiding the return period- not that we’d be likely to post them back. And she did say they don’t look as good in real life. Not surprising.

I’ll report back at a later date.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Dexter » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 9:43 am

Lamont wrote:I've not used one, but, with the new ratings all mats have to go through now I'd be skeptical of a claimed R4.2.

Yeah same. I'm also curious of a mattress that large (non mummy shape) being 500g. I have an Exped Synmat HL MW that's around 400g, and much more tapered. It's also about 3-4x the price.
In comparison, my mat is quoted as:
R-Value (ASTM F3340-18): 2.9
R-Value (EMPA): 3.30

The Exped is also higher off the ground when inflated. 7cm vs 6.1cm. Having said that, even if the rating was using an older system or is somehow embellished, and close to the Exped, for a wider mat it could be good purchase for the price.
I also have no clue how it inflates. I'm getting those 'if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.' vibes.

Lamont wrote:postage would be small fortune to the US...let's know how they go if they bite the bullet.

I'd have expected that too however apparently not.

Eremophila wrote:I think I’m the proud owner of one of these...

I had a chuckle at that. If he doesn't buy one before May, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.26.22 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.26.22 am.png (37.63 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.28.32 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.28.32 am.png (34.16 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 9:48 am

Dexter wrote:
Lamont wrote:I've not used one, but, with the new ratings all mats have to go through now I'd be skeptical of a claimed R4.2.

Yeah same. I'm also curious of a mattress that large (non mummy shape) being 500g. I have an Exped Synmat HL MW that's around 400g, and much more tapered. It's also about 3-4x the price.
In comparison, my mat is quoted as:
R-Value (ASTM F3340-18): 2.9
R-Value (EMPA): 3.30

The Exped is also higher off the ground when inflated. 7cm vs 6.1cm. Having said that, even if the rating was using an older system or is somehow embellished, and close to the Exped, for a wider mat it could be good purchase for the price.
I also have no clue how it inflates. I'm getting those 'if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.' vibes.

Lamont wrote:postage would be small fortune to the US...let's know how they go if they bite the bullet.

I'd have expected that too however apparently not.

But is the free return postage from Oz?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Eremophila » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 10:11 am

To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it. It must also be in the original packaging.
THE CUSTOMER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RETURN SHIPPING COST.
We only replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at info@westhikers.com

Presumably "defective or damaged" does not include not living up to the hype?

There's also a section on "Late or Missing Refunds". Which gives the impression that this is a common complaint.

Anyhow. I'm expecting to be underwhelmed, but if the weight & size are close to what's shown, it may get some use.
Eremophila

Postby Dexter » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 10:14 am

Yeah, no idea what return postage would cost. I thought if someone here had any experience with one, and it was half-way decent it might be a good buy for my mate who hasn't tried any multi day walks.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 10:41 am

Reasonably uninformative video here. It seems to use the same snozzel type system as Exped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT5zdstqxzk

Seems to be a few clones / same mattress sold under various brands.

https://www.hitorhike.com/products/mattress
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 11:25 am

Ahahhhh I did have the equivalent of one of these, purchased from Aliexpress (for a slightly lower, but not by much) price. I bought it for my son to use instead of his SI mat to lighten his load, as I wouldnt cry if he wrecked it-which he probably would.
Weight quoted was within 10% of actual weight. It did have a valve that looked to be compatible with some sort of system, but did not fit my Big Agnes pump sack. I am talking about that mat in past tense, as it has indeed 'passed on'. I decided to use it as an experiment mat to see if I could shorten it using the scissors and iron trick before attempting the same with a mat I cared about. It was an epic fail. In terms of insulation, there was none inside. Maybe I had bought an uninsulated version, I do not remember it being quoted as having a R value at time of purchase, but in any case would have taken any such rating with a truckload of salt.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ms_Mudd » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 11:31 am

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... web201603_

Hope that link works, that is what I bought. It is advertised as 600g. Not the same seller I bought from, but is one of many selling same kind of mats.
Same same but different.

It ran around $42 shipped for me. If someone wanted a cheap air mat, then I guess you could do worse than 40 bucks. It was robust enough when inflated to check out after it arrived. I think for just a little more money though you can get the run out version of the super thick but similarly weighted Big Agnes Air Core, which I got for my daughter and she has used extensively or a Klymit mat.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Dexter » Tue 02 Mar, 2021 11:54 am

Amazing! Thanks for the info Ms Mudd. I think as you mentioned, better to put that money towards a deal on a more trusted brand.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment