MUMC hut advice - 19-21st March

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

MUMC hut advice - 19-21st March

Postby icefest » Mon 15 Mar, 2021 6:54 pm

As per https://www.mumc.org.au/trips/2249-psa-mumc-hut-busy

There will be a large group (covidsafe) staying at the hut this weekend.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: MUMC hut advice - 19-21st March

Postby commando » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 12:33 am

Maybe they could do a treasure hunt and look for the pot belly stove which was removed from the hut some time ago,
as i don't believe someone carried it all the way out it has to be buried somewhere after spending a weekend in there
where the temperatures never went above zero and was minus degrees inside the hut and where taking off your gloves
for more than a minute was painful. Stoves can save lives especially in that location.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby icefest » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 10:18 pm

commando wrote:Maybe they could do a treasure hunt and look for the pot belly stove which was removed from the hut some time ago,
as i don't believe someone carried it all the way out it has to be buried somewhere after spending a weekend in there
where the temperatures never went above zero and was minus degrees inside the hut and where taking off your gloves
for more than a minute was painful. Stoves can save lives especially in that location.

The stove was removed by committee description due to a combination of:
1. People cutting down trees around the hut for firewood - denuding the landscape.
2. Fire safety - given the timber flooring, and the difficulty for a small university club to rebuild the hut, should it burn down.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 10:20 am

icefest wrote:
commando wrote:Maybe they could do a treasure hunt and look for the pot belly stove which was removed from the hut some time ago,

The stove was removed by committee description due to a combination of:
1. People cutting down trees around the hut for firewood - denuding the landscape.
2. Fire safety - given the timber flooring, and the difficulty for a small university club to rebuild the hut, should it burn down.

Makes perfect sense to me. There is a small percentage of dimwits who have zero knowledge or brains when it comes to using such appliances, or in fact, fire generally.

Door glasses broken by fools forcing them shut on wood that clearly didn't fit, unsuitable contents, leaving doors open so coals find their way out onto flammable surfaces, and so on ad nauseum.

Yet another case of the majority paying the price for the moron minority, but still a good and understandable decision by MUMC. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby commando » Thu 18 Mar, 2021 11:20 am

Whilst the hut is placed in a stunning scenic location it is situated right at the edge of the snowline where wood
was always going to be in short supply the wood remaining is snow gums and hardly burnable at any given time.
MUMC committee's decisions are relatable the hut has a wonderful timber floor and compared to Diamantina hut
where the general public is let loose on it and has almost destroyed its worth. I stayed at Homer huts in NZ the
hut is 400 metres from the roadside on the way to Milford Sound it had a one metre tall barometer inside the hut
worth hundreds of dollars, untouched and undamaged, just not possible in Australia.

Thank you to the people who provide these type of things for the benefit, security and use of others, free of charge,
it is not naviety which is giving in spirit for others to abuse the privilege of, as they are the empty souls, the givers
always win, the universe makes it so.
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Xplora » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 6:29 am

On a recent trip to Cleve Cole Hut we found a large (live) snowgum branch cut with an axe and just left there. Obviously the effort of cutting with a blunt axe was enough. The branch was right beside the hut so these people were even lazier. Could not be bothered walking further away to get their jollies. It was clearly only for fun as good dead firewood is aplenty around CC hut if you walk a bit. But for how long? I have spent a cold winter night in MUMC. Arrived in the dark and were very grateful for the shelter. We did fine without a fire and just rugged up more. The old Fitzgeralds hut is no more because of a school group setting a big fire but that was an open fire. There is less danger with an enclosed fire. The real issue is how much firewood is available and when the heater was chucked, the snowgums had not been burnt as they are now. Maybe there is more wood around now but I still think MUMC has a nice feel about it and perhaps the lack of heater keeps the riff-raff away. I don't bother going to Fed hut anymore and am sure the place is denuded of any good firewood now and plenty of green wood and live trees are being cut. I would chuck the fire out of that hut also.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 7:02 am

I reported the cut living snow gum at CC hut to Parks Vic. at Mt. Beauty by leaving a message on their office land line answering machine. I also recorded my displeasure at this act of vandalism in the Hut Log book at Michell hut.I reported it to the Vice President of The Bogong Club as well.
Fed. hut has become far too popular. I don't camp there anymore. People light the fire inside there in Green season( NO NEED!) so in white season when a fire could help revive a hypo thermic person the shortage of firewood could be a problem .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby CraigVIC » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 7:43 am

At a bit of tangent, the last campsite on the left heading to the summit at Michell hut has a large overhanging branch. Someone has cut the branch from the top and bottom 90% through then left it standing.
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 8:45 am

MUMC has always been ahead of the masses. Where most huts had open fireplaces MUMC had a pot belly stove. By the time that most hats had pot belly stoves, MUMC had no wood fire. While huts may be colder than tents, MUMC and other contemporary huts are fairly airtight. Too many huts are vandalised: Michell, Bivouac, and Federation in particular. Around these and other huts too much wood has been cut down. The vandalism is new, perhaps a result of increased information leading to idiots walking in. Although I'll camp at such places if necessary, my preference is to camp elsewhere.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby indented » Fri 19 Mar, 2021 10:10 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I also recorded my displeasure at this act of vandalism in the Hut Log book at Michell hut.

Spotted that when I was going through there, it was quite the read!
indented
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 20 Mar, 2021 8:22 am

If I am in the Mt. FT area then I usually carry in 7L. extra water and camp near High Knob. That is the place where the proposed helipad and glamper lodges are planned to be built. That is one of the best bush campsites in the area. Camping at MUMC hut has better views than Fed. hut does and
fewer eejits and yobbos cutting down living trees and making open camp fires in front of the NO OPEN FIRES/ FUEL STOVE ONLY sign.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to Victoria