SeaToSummit Thermolite Reactor Liner

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

SeaToSummit Thermolite Reactor Liner

Postby walkinTas » Mon 21 Apr, 2008 11:30 pm

Has anyone used one of these Thermolite liners or any thing similar?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: SeaToSummit Thermolite Reactor Liner

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 7:59 am

No, have not used one of those but always use a silk liner. Ok once you get used to the double bagged sensation.

I noticed on a US site, Sea to Summit was also spruking these http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetail.php?Code=AOH - a water proof , toilet paper dispenser.......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 6:55 pm

Ever seen the distressed walkers who carry the conventional dunny roll that got wet :( , for anyone interested I carry individual pre packed facial tissues super soft 4 ply 9 to a pack which if you are creative gives you 18 wipes :) distribute several pkts throughout your Backpac therefore avoiding the dreaded wet dunny experience :P and no need to purchase a waterproof container :wink:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby bibtracker » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 10:53 pm

Yes, I bought one about a year ago on special.
Used it once. Very thin, not particularly warm and, IMHO, not worth the money.

Cheers, Tony
bibtracker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkinTas » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 11:14 pm

bibtracker wrote:Very thin, not particularly warm and, IMHO, not worth the money.

Thanks Tony. So it didn't add the claimed "up to 8°C" to the warmth of your sleeping bag?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bibtracker » Tue 22 Apr, 2008 11:38 pm

No, it didn't. I was surprised becos the rest of S to S gear that I have seen/used is first class. It was better than nothing, but that's the most I can say for it.

Cheers, Tony
bibtracker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkinTas » Tue 13 May, 2008 10:34 pm

I used mine when I slept on Hanson Peak recently. It is comfortable and roomy, especially around the chest. I sleep "la manera natural" (whoops - to much info) so I like a liner that doesn't cling to you or get in the way. I think I prefer the S&S Thermolite to my old silk liner (which usually ends up wrapped around me in an uncomfortable way).

However, I was still cold. Comfortable yes, roomy yes, improved warmth no.
Last edited by walkinTas on Sat 24 May, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 21 May, 2008 3:45 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby elemental » Fri 23 May, 2008 7:32 pm

I just bought it and having spent the past week in launceston in the freezing cold I can vouch for this one. It does add quite a few degrees to the bag, my only niggle is when you wear thermals with it, it doesnt seem to produce as much heat, so going thermal less is a good idea. The length is great and so is the width for me, having big shoulders really helps.
Thumbs up for sure
elemental
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby perrywinkle » Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:45 am

I love mine. It is stretchy, so less entangling. It has a hood and so is better for protecting the bag. It is not worth 8C - perhaps about 2-3C, but the comfort factor is huge. It washes well, with no special soaps or rinses (unlike silk), and dries well. Definitely worth the small extra space.
perrywinkle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby walkinTas » Tue 24 Jun, 2008 5:19 pm

Brett wrote:
walkinTas wrote: ..I sleep "la manera natural" ... so I like a liner that doesn't cling to you or get in the way...

Hi
Um? Given the amount of traffic on Hansons Peak two weeks ago when I was there (assuming we are talking about the same peak) I am amazed you did not, well, unsettle the guests. I could not think of too many more exposes places to sleep and I mean that elements wise.
Cheers Brett

hanson.jpg
hanson.jpg (142 KiB) Viewed 28925 times
I'm pinching part of a picture by Eggs from another thread - sorry Eggs, hope you don't mind. I slept about where the arrow is. It was dark when I selected the spot to camp, but it turned out to be dry and comfortable. Still, I wish I'd walked down to the hut. It poured down all night and the wind was savage. In the morning there was a nice sunrise (briefly crimson red) but I didn't get a single shot because it was raining hard and I had pitched my tent facing the mountain, so I couldn't sit in the tent and take photos. The wind was so bad during the night it bent my fly pole - which was mostly my fault because in the dark I missed on of the four guy lines. The tent probably would have handled the wind nicely otherwise. So Yes, it was an exposed spot.

I walked in Friday night after work with the intention of staying in the hut and then walking on to Lake Rodway. It was late afternoon when I started and it got dark quickly. Saturday morning I sat in the tent for about 3hrs while it poured. Eventually I put on the wet weather gear, then packed up under the fly and finally I stuffed the fly in a plastic bag and walked down to the hut for breakfast. It continued to rain hard so I walked to Dove Lake via the nearby track, and then out to the car. Thats a rough descent that gets worse every year. It was a disappointing trip. I only went for the photos and in the end I only took a few. I think I need to invest in a rain coat for the camera.

The tent is another story in itself. It is a Blackwolf Cicada. Nice, roomy, 2 person, 3 season tent. Great for two people but just a bit heavy for solo walking. I emailed Blackwolf in Australia (Phoenix Leisure Group) to try and get a replacement pole but they weren't very helpful. They basically told me to try and find a retail store that might have a spare pole. That was a disappointing response. Anyway, I am in the market of a fly pole if anyone can help.

Obviously others have had good experiences with the Thermolite Reactor liner. As I said earlier, I like it. I just can't vouch for the claimed improved warmth, but it is roomy and comfortable.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whiskeylover » Sat 28 Jun, 2008 7:58 am

I find my Thermolite liner comfy (like t-shirt material), warmer than a silk liner, and I am a smaller person, but I don't have any trouble with it getting wrapped around me three times like silk. It definitely adds 3-4 degrees, as I only have a three season bag (for weight reasons) and being a warm sleeper this has been enough to get me through all but the very coldest nights (-8 wasn't very comfortable!). So the verdict is it washes and wears better than silk and is cosier if used as intended - to trap body heat (i.e. raw sleeping or very thin thermals). The other fantastic addition to my sleeping has been a (never would have bought it myself, won it as a prize) down filled exped mat! similar weight and size to a thermarest, but oh the luxury, and another 3-4 degrees warmth added.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 17 Jul, 2008 11:28 am

They are tough, a bit heavy, bulky and smelly compared to silk. I don't think they add much warmth, probably some- definitely better with a silk liner and 4 season bag if warmth is the goal. (S2S silk liners can be machine washed)

I have a cheap european thermolite knock-off also (they are on e-bay all the time)- it is very similar material (if not identical), but 1/4 the price!

Warning- beware of those cheap silk liners on e-bay. Like tissue, especially at the seams!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm

WalkinTas,
No worries - Its flattering for you to use the photo :)

Its a bit off topic - but your decent path to Lake Dove - was that along the face track and then down to Lake Wilks - or the track that used to exist many years ago that would have come up near where you were camping?

I well remember trying to negotiate my 4 quite young children down the rock face above Lake Wilks when a windy but fine day at Cradle turned into very strong gales blowing a fine horizontal rain. The basin of the lake collects the winds dropping over the edge and whips it through there. It was full on, and scary given we were racing the clock to get out before the sun was gone.

Sorry you only got a few photos. Despite the crowds at Cradle, I find the Hanson part of the walk and down to Rodway one of the most attractive parts of Tassie.

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby walkinTas » Sat 19 Jul, 2008 11:23 pm

eggs wrote:WalkinTas,
Its a bit off topic - but your decent path to Lake Dove - was that along the face track and then down to Lake Wilks - or the track that used to exist many years ago that would have come up near where you were camping?
Brian

The second one of those two choices, but shh don't tell anyone.

My last experience with the Lake Wilks track was a climb in knee deep snow. The track was very hard to find as you might imagine with two feet of snow on it. When we returned later in the afternoon we found this sign. ...by then it was just a tad to late.
Attachments
IMG_0475.JPG
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby etrangere » Fri 26 Feb, 2010 5:50 am

On the REI website it has about 25 reviews almost all of them raving about them

http://www.rei.com/product/705534

I too am curious about these liners as am debating what temp rating sleeping bag to get for here in WA. Lowest recorded temp I can see on bom.gov.au is about -5 C. So am debating on getting a sleeping bag rated 0 to 5C and adding the thermolite reactor when needed rather than having a summer AND and winter sleeping bag

Then sleeping bags I am considering are

Mont Zodiac 500 (0 to 5C)
Mont Evolution Light (-1 to 4C)

Any feedback on either of these would also be appreciatted.
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Jed » Thu 07 Apr, 2011 7:16 pm

etrangere wrote:Lowest recorded temp I can see on bom.gov.au is about -5 C. So am debating on getting a sleeping bag rated 0 to 5C and adding the thermolite reactor when needed rather than having a summer AND and winter sleeping bag

That's pretty much my plan too. Though it gets colder in vic. I was thinking more like getting a -2 bag and the extreme version of the liner, till probably wouldn't add the 15 degrees they claim, but you'd hope it would be warmer.
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/showdetai ... e=AREACTEX
Jed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 4:33 am

I love mine!! much warmer than a silk liner. Makes the 0 degree light weight bag bearable in -6 -7 degree temps!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 8:13 am

I have always thought of liners as means to keep the inner of the shell clean. personally I have tried silk, polyester mesh, ultralight brushed nylon and silvered thinsulate ( that stuff you buy from Spotlight ) and none of them really add as much warmth as the same weight in additional bag insulation.
I even tried down booster bags and these actually made me colder and then the penny dropped.
Most of us buy our sleeping bags to fit reasonably close and tight to the body to eliminate dead air space; they have a certain amount of loft and adding an extra layer inside the bad decreases this loft.
The way I see it there are two solutions, buy the sleeping bag you will usually use too big with less loft and wear an extra layer of clothes ( or a light weight liner bag ) in cold weather OR use your light weight bag in mild conditions and add a second layer over the top in cold conditions.
When I was in England in the 70s a company called Point 5 was actually recommending a cold weather system based on a light weight down bag with a light weight polyester overbag and it worked very very well but had a weight penalty of a kilo.

Sleeping bag construction and artificial fiber technology has become much more efficient and much lighter and I think it is past time that we re-investigate these combination bags
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby troiks » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 10:25 am

Hi

I have used my one in cold weather without a sleeping bag (MT Wilson in the Blue Mountains - forgot to pack my sleeping bag) and I could definitely feel the warmth generated. I also use this in summer instead of a sleeping bag however it is not wind proof / resistant so you will feel even the slightest breeze.

I also use this as blanket by folding it in half & using it to cover my legs while sitting around in the evening.

Cheers
troiks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby etrangere » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 6:54 pm

I have the StS Thermolite Extreme (+15C) liner. I find it great to use on its own in summer and with a sleeping bag for extra warmth in winter. I agree with a few of the previous posts in that the stretchiness of the fabric is quite comfy and does seem to lessen the tangled up feeling you can get with cotton or silk liners.
etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby north-north-west » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 8:17 pm

walkinTas wrote:
eggs wrote:WalkinTas,
Brian

The second one of those two choices, but shh don't tell anyone.

My last experience with the Lake Wilks track was a climb in knee deep snow. The track was very hard to find as you might imagine with two feet of snow on it. When we returned later in the afternoon we found this sign. ...by then it was just a tad to late.

I love that photo. Last time I saw that sign, someone had changed the K to a Y . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby nomadic » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 1:15 pm

I own the STS reactor Extreme. Used it in -5 conditions in the huts on the Overland Track in July. I was disappointed to be honest, I have high expectations of STS gear, and the bag's promises and price did not reflect it's actual ability. I was cold. I agree its much warmer to sleep in without thermals, reflects the heat pretty well straight back onto your skin. This is just a theory at this point, but I find fleece an incredible material for warmth. Just lying on a fleece blanket in Canberra winter, I feel the warmth instantly reflect onto me. I would use a fleece liner over the STS extreme. The material is just too thin, and I believe in the power of loft, whether down or synthetic, there needs to be some thickness in the material, to trap warm air in.
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low-price is forgotten"
nomadic
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Snowgum
Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 26 Apr, 2011 5:28 pm

nomadic wrote:I have high expectations of STS gear

Well there's your problem.....
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sef » Sun 01 May, 2011 11:12 pm

I recently bought one to try and extract a few more trips from my kit at the end of a long season -- my impression is that they aren't that bad.

Warmth-to-weight, you'd certainly be better off spending the extra grams on down, but if you don't want another bag at the time they do the job. Anecdotally, maybe 3 or 4 degrees. I went from waking up at 3am unable to get back to sleep to sleeping through the night.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby lukebutters » Sat 03 Nov, 2018 7:19 am

Do you have some links for those knock-off liners?

Nuts wrote:They are tough, a bit heavy, bulky and smelly compared to silk. I don't think they add much warmth, probably some- definitely better with a silk liner and 4 season bag if warmth is the goal. (S2S silk liners can be machine washed)

I have a cheap european thermolite knock-off also (they are on e-bay all the time)- it is very similar material (if not identical), but 1/4 the price!

Warning- beware of those cheap silk liners on e-bay. Like tissue, especially at the seams!
lukebutters
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby CBee » Sat 22 Dec, 2018 7:26 am

I own a standard thermolite reactor and an extreme one. I also use them as standalone mid season in QLD. Paired with my down bag and insulated mat, in NZ below zero, I never had a problem being cold at night. I haven't tried different brands but I'm quite happy with them. Not sure about the claimed temperature gain: one night I was sleeping in a hut and I was little cold. I decided to use the thermolite and made a significant difference. I think it is important to seal them properly to stop cold air going inside the bag.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Sat 22 Dec, 2018 8:08 am

In various forums I have read of the effective warmth of the Reactor series liners being questioned. The obvious answer would be to have them EN13537 tested in conjunction with/without a known sleeping bag - not hard to do. My personal thoughts are that they are certainly not as effective as claimed but the weasel words "increases warmth by UP TO" suggests that the number of degrees potentially represents the EN Extreme value, not normally referenced Comfort or Lower Limit values representing the expectations for women and men respectively.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby matagi » Sat 22 Dec, 2018 9:06 am

The best thing about this liner is that it is stretchy. Does it increase the warmth of your sleeping bag? Not in my experience. However, that wasn't the reason I bought it. The way I sleep, a liner that stretches works better. Also, they work well as a standalone in warmer weather (even in Tas).
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby Hiking Noob » Sat 22 Dec, 2018 12:37 pm

Pretty solid thread bump!

I really like mine, as stated above they are stretchy and let you move inside the bag more freely which is nice for me as I am a rubbish sleeper.

I have now moved to a quilt and am thinking that on warmer nights I can use it to cover the sticky S2S mat, on cooler nights I can use it as I did in a sleeping bag and on really warm nights it can be used as a LW sleeping bag.
I will buy another when this one dies, however if I could find the fabric for sale I'd make my own.......
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Equipment